Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Six weeks into Jaguar i-pace ownership - maybe lemon-law candidate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I picked up a 2020 jaguar i-pace a couple months ago. The vehicle is beautiful and the interior is a glorious place to be. My wife and I have enjoyed driving it for the 1900 miles that it has been in our possession. however it has been in service for the air suspension for a week to replace the valve body for the air suspension. Now it has been at the dealer for two more weeks after leaving my wife stranded in the middle of her drive home from work. literally would not move with a celebration of errors on the dash. The dealer does not want to release the car back to us as they believe that the issues it is having are a serious safety concern.
Now in texas, after thirty days(in the first 24 months) of being there they will have to repurchase the car from us tt&l included.
My wife wanted a model X, so I feel like a scrub for talking her into the i-pace. Ow well, live and learn. The model 3 is a beast. will be buying an X if and when this thing is lemon lawed.

Sorry to hear of your issues with the I-pace, until Tesla came along I have had Jaguars since 1970 and loved them all I really wanted the I-pace to succeed. My 4 year old model x has been worry free my wife loves it.
It was a really good brand until a few years back quality and reliability especially electrical problems are unreal. My wife’s Range Rover sport spent more time in the workshop than on the road so I simply would never buy another JLR product. JLR here in the Uk are doing some crazy deals however but I wouldn’t take a risk. I do love the Tesla however build and paint quality is not very good but I can live with it hopefully it will get better

Hey, you got the beautiful interior. That's their selling point.

Remember, it's a Jaguar plus you have now met Sir Lucas, the Prince of Darkness.

BTW, I own a number of classic British vehicles and had a service shop dealing with them, among others, in the '70's.

Thought I might add my two cents worth. I am the owner of two 'S" cars. 2006 Jaguar S Type that I bought on E-Bay during the 2009 economic down-turn. Still own it, still love the drive and I think it would give 2015 S 85 D a run for its money on the straight-away.
Both cars have astounded me at times, and equally, have pissed me of greatly at times.
Most recently though, my 85D totally lost all controls as I approached a main road, the screen lit up with: no ABS assist, no Steering assist, no Braking assist, and other warnings. I am not a feeble 81year old but it required all of my strength to stop before being broad-sided by a Semi. It was a harrowing experience for my wife who exclaimed! "let me out I'm not riding is the thing".
I totally shut everything down and rebooted, the screen was still technicolor with warnings. I put it in reverse and slowly applied some juice the affect was to wrench the steering wheel out of my hands almost breaking my thumb. What proceeded was a wrestling match between me and Tron Monster, slowly getting it back up to allow other drivers to enter laneway I was blocking, a most embarrassing moment for me and Tesla. One hour and a half later I pulled into my driveway four miles from the break-down another harrowing experience trying to anticipate other drivers intent since braking and steering were at a minimum, fortunately the drive home was down grade which meant riding the brake with the help of a stuck caliper(but that's another story). Backing into the driveway took twenty minutes of arm wrestling, not easy when keeping your thumbs on the outside of the wheel.
The final upshot was a broken bolt securing an electrical harness that also acted as a grounding point. Located under the frunk it was an easy fix. The Tesla rep also noted that this was the third bolt to have failed, two on the passenger side and one on the driver side.
There was a new type of clip attaching the harness on the passenger side, unfortunately the Rep didn't have one with him to replace my bolt.
There are two bolts either side, must be in anticipation of this potential failure.
The cost for a new type clip $70. ??
Until I get the new clip I'm wary of driving my 85D, it is not an experience I want to repeat. I'm thankful I wasn't on the freeway doing 65mph.

In the old days there was a joke that if you owned a Jaguar you had to own another car to use because the Jaguar was off the road so much. Sounds like times haven't changed,

I come from owning older Rovers (the real ones, not those fancy ones that Gerry McGovern had been designing for Jag and LR). I emphasize the plural, because you cannot own just one. You need one for when the other one is in the shop. LOL

Legacy auto makers (except Japanese), especially the brits, germans and italians, don't know crap about electric stuff, let alone IoT. Even before the advent of EVs, brits and german cars are the most unreliable and expensive to maintain. MB V12s, BMW V12s and M stuff, Audi's S & RS, heck even VWs (Phaeton, Toureg) were all plagued with electrical gremlins.

One EV manufacturer that's under the radar right now is Hyundai, Their Kona and Ioniq full electric have been getting some good reviews. I'm also excited for what VW can come up with. If they can only perfect the EV drivetrain, they already got nostalgia going for them. An EV Bug, Bus and Thing will sell like pancakes.

My .02 cents. Good luck to the OP, hope Jag buys it back and you can get an X or a Y.

:)

Reactions: BlindPass
My wife and I picked up a 2020 jaguar i-pace a couple months ago. The vehicle is beautiful and the interior is a glorious place to be. My wife and I have enjoyed driving it for the 1900 miles that it has been in our possession. however it has been in service for the air suspension for a week to replace the valve body for the air suspension. Now it has been at the dealer for two more weeks after leaving my wife stranded in the middle of her drive home from work. literally would not move with a celebration of errors on the dash. The dealer does not want to release the car back to us as they believe that the issues it is having are a serious safety concern.
Now in texas, after thirty days(in the first 24 months) of being there they will have to repurchase the car from us tt&l included.
My wife wanted a model X, so I feel like a scrub for talking her into the i-pace. Ow well, live and learn. The model 3 is a beast. will be buying an X if and when this thing is lemon lawed.

Now I'm wondering if maybe I met your wife at capital gymnastics.

We were admiring the white I-Pace (I had not seen one up close before). Sad to hear it didn't work out. I was telling her that my wife's X is quite a bit larger than the I-Pace looked -- that would be my only point of hesitation on switching from I-Pace to X.

Reactions: austinmichaeld