Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Six weeks into Jaguar i-pace ownership - maybe lemon-law candidate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I picked up a 2020 jaguar i-pace a couple months ago. The vehicle is beautiful and the interior is a glorious place to be. My wife and I have enjoyed driving it for the 1900 miles that it has been in our possession. however it has been in service for the air suspension for a week to replace the valve body for the air suspension. Now it has been at the dealer for two more weeks after leaving my wife stranded in the middle of her drive home from work. literally would not move with a celebration of errors on the dash. The dealer does not want to release the car back to us as they believe that the issues it is having are a serious safety concern.
Now in texas, after thirty days(in the first 24 months) of being there they will have to repurchase the car from us tt&l included.
My wife wanted a model X, so I feel like a scrub for talking her into the i-pace. Ow well, live and learn. The model 3 is a beast. will be buying an X if and when this thing is lemon lawed.

My wife and I picked up a 2020 jaguar i-pace a couple months ago. The vehicle is beautiful and the interior is a glorious place to be. My wife and I have enjoyed driving it for the 1900 miles that it has been in our possession. however it has been in service for the air suspension for a week to replace the valve body for the air suspension. Now it has been at the dealer for two more weeks after leaving my wife stranded in the middle of her drive home from work. literally would not move with a celebration of errors on the dash. The dealer does not want to release the car back to us as they believe that the issues it is having are a serious safety concern.
Now in texas, after thirty days(in the first 24 months) of being there they will have to repurchase the car from us tt&l included.
My wife wanted a model X, so I feel like a scrub for talking her into the i-pace. Ow well, live and learn. The model 3 is a beast. will be buying an X if and when this thing is lemon lawed.
Sorry to hear of your issues with the I-pace, until Tesla came along I have had Jaguars since 1970 and loved them all I really wanted the I-pace to succeed. My 4 year old model x has been worry free my wife loves it.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
I hope you get it squared away. The I pace is in production and appears to be a great alternative to the Model X or Model Y. Charging is now more readily available with non Tesla vehicles. I curious as to what is being said on the I pace message forums and what the consensus are of ownership.

Last edited:
Reactions: FarmerDave
I remember this OP posting about getting the i-pace, at a pretty great financial deal. I love the look of the i Pace, but said in that thread that I would consider leasing one, but never buying it, because I dont trust JLR products.

At this point I would think OP would want the car bought back from him. If you really like the i Pace, you could try another one. I might do that, actually, if they bought it back, as long as they understood that if there were similar problems I would want that one bought back too.

EDIT: I should have read OPs post a bit better, because OP already stated that he wanted to get an X to replace it. I really wanted the i Pace to succeed (and some other EVs actually) to put some pressure on tesla.

Not that I dont love my model 3P, but more competition always helps the consumer, and right now there is really no competition in the EV space that is worth mentioning.

Just because a company has been making ICE cars for decades doesn't mean they'll instantly be good at making EVs. If you're buying the first ever EV model by some traditional automaker, you're just as much an early adopter as an early Tesla buyer.
What failed isn’t necessarily inherent to EV. One would expect legacy manufacturers to have suspensions perfected.

Except JLR.
I love the look of their products, but I would expect their EVs to be unreliable, as their ICE cars are unreliable.

Some of these legacy manufacturers need to outsource treating the car as Tech to an actual Tech company, like they do with most other components. JLR couldn’t perfect mechanical quality after decades, yet they’re going to master cars as IoT?

Reactions: RubberToe
I love the look of their products, but I would expect their EVs to be unreliable, as their ICE cars are unreliable.

I have owned a lot of JLR products, and that statement is false from my experience. Especially compared to Tesla's ratings and what I see on the forums. They have been great cars, and I miss my daily Jag every time I get in the Model 3 because of the lack of luxury and refinement combined with sportiness. I am planning to spend $2K on upgrading the Model 3 suspension soon to try to fix that horrible part of this car.

I have owned a lot of JLR products, and that statement is false from my experience. Especially compared to Tesla's ratings and what I see on the forums. They have been great cars, and I miss my daily Jag every time I get in the Model 3 because of the lack of luxury and refinement combined with sportiness. I am planning to spend $2K on upgrading the Model 3 suspension soon to try to fix that horrible part of this car.
Luxury and refinement aren’t what I was talking about.

Teslas are spartan, if not cheap
in regards to options and premium features outside the elite drivetrains. They don’t give you much. Once the battery production costs come down, we’ll stop comparing cars like the M3 to luxury cars.

On the other hand, my Land Rovers had a ton of options and features, but all seemingly held together by glue. Frankly, although they were great looking, with great engines, they were fragile. Any part that moved, broke. Electronics were a chronic issue. The luxurious and refined interiors did not age well at all. The type of cars you love when new, and come to dread owning. That said, the service was good, albeit more costly than a lot of makes.

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin
Luxury and refinement aren’t what I was talking about.

Teslas are spartan, if not cheap
in regards to options. They don’t give you much.
On the other hand, my Land Rovers had a ton of options and features, but all seemingly held together by glue. Frankly, although they were great looking, with great engines, they were fragile. Any part that moved, broke. Electronics were a chronic issue. The luxurious and refined interiors did not age well at all. The type of cars you love when new, and come to dread owning. That said, the service was good, albeit more costly than a lot of makes.

I was talking about reliability. It's better than Tesla for sure, and I have had quite a few Jags and Range Rovers and still have a couple, and they have all been good cars with very few problems. Same with other family members that have had them. Getting warranty work done is an amazingly wonderful experience compared to Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: MrABRanch
Sad, cause it's always good to see additional EVs out there but this one sounds terrible. And they're offering pretty sizeable discounts on them now, too.

I haven't spent any time on any I-Pace forums, but this is just one person's experience with 1 car. There have been Tesla owners with just as big of problems, and plenty of Lemon Law'd Teslas.

The suspension valve sounded minor and they seemed to take care of that without issue. The electrical system going haywire is concerning on any car, and it definitely happens. Not many mechanics are comfortable troubleshooting electronic issues, especially if it's a bad ground or wire that got pinched as has intermittent continuity.

I was talking about reliability. It's better than Tesla for sure, and I have had quite a few Jags and Range Rovers and still have a couple, and they have all been good cars with very few problems. Same with other family members that have had them. Getting warranty work done is an amazingly wonderful experience compared to Tesla.

Your family is very lucky. My experiences over 20 years has not been favorable compared to other prominent manufacturers and is consistent with Consumer Reports recent rankings (the worst). They’re far behind the Japanese makes, and a notch below most other Euro brands.

There isn’t a legacy manufacturer that has as bad of service as Tesla, but there are several that have equally poor reliability and durability.

I can from 30 years of ownership totally agree with you, all the Jaguars I owned were no worse than any other vehicle out there. Also once Ford took over in 1989 and benched marked the electronics they were worry free. Even my 1976 XJS V12 was a driving pleasure.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I know someone that traded in the X they had for 3.5 years for the Ipace. Things to think about to temper your expectations unless Tesla changed these:

1 The falcon wing doors (FWD) will rub and expose bare aluminum where the door meets the C pillar at the pointed part and it can’t be fixed.
2. It is not possible to line up the roof, bottom of the window and door handle on the FWD to the rest of the car all at the same time.
3. The radar cruise control will brake suddenly while being used. It did it all 3.5 years owned and my Model 3 does it still.
4. No AM radio.
5 No air cooled seats.
6. The FWD are the best doors for all purposes except speed and simplicity. However, they will sometimes not open all the way for unknown reasons but can easily be overridden on screen, while seated or outside the car.
7. It is louder than the Ipace except when outside and the fans are running on high on the Ipace.
8. No apple car play or android auto.
9. Less efficient in the cold since the Ipace has a heat pump (and even better if your Ipace has the heated windshield to avoid defroster useage ).
10. No 360 camera.
11. Only fits 4 full size adults comfortably. Not much headroom in the center 2nd row seat.

X advantages:
1. Motorized steering wheel so you have easy entry feature.
2. 5000# towing
3. More room.
4. Tesla Supercharger network. This is a big help on road trips compared to the Ipace. Faster, more reliable and less expensive.
5. More range and faster charging. It would probably take an extra 2 hours to travel 600 miles in the Ipace on a road trip.
6. Comes with a home charger (EVSE) you can spend $40 on to charge overnight at home.
7. You can schedule charging.
8. The homelink garage door opener actually works from more the 10 feet away.
9. Probably a more financially stable company at this time.
10. You can set a charge limit to extend the life of the battery.

The person that traded in the X had ordered a Y but refused it when Tesla offered a stupid low price for trade in and Jaguar offered a fair price. With tax credit, discount and difference in trade in value the Ipace was less expensive than the Y. I am sure there are more to list and they were in no particular order. I think it is best to know what to expect.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I haven't spent any time on any I-Pace forums, but this is just one person's experience with 1 car. There have been Tesla owners with just as big of problems, and plenty of Lemon Law'd Teslas.

The suspension valve sounded minor and they seemed to take care of that without issue. The electrical system going haywire is concerning on any car, and it definitely happens. Not many mechanics are comfortable troubleshooting electronic issues, especially if it's a bad ground or wire that got pinched as has intermittent continuity.
True, but I do think the I-Pace hasn't gotten the reception they'd hoped for, especially going up against Tesla and now they'll have to deal with the Mach-E, ID.4 and others. They really can't afford any hiccups.