TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Size issues Model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Cobos, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

The new numbers listed on the website for ground clearance does make the car a lot more useable here in Oslo. Now I've got some more questions maybe someone that was at Freemont can answer.

The Model S in insanely wide, it's about a 1/2 inch wider than the Series 7 from BMW. It's also pretty long but that is more inline with more standard cars.
    1. Does the Model S have any protection from dings in the parking lot from nearby doors, many cars have plastic "rail" running along the side of the doors to stop kids in the car parked next to it to jam the door into the side of your car. I haven't seen anything like that on the pictures.
    2. I assume you can manually fold the mirrors flush with the car as my 1996 Civic has that option :) but some cars does this motorised and automaticly, anyone seen this?

Cobos

2. William13

William13 Member

The stats look wide but the car is more like my malibu but with extra wide side mirrors. The mirrors are out on stalks. I assume they will fold back.

3. ljbad4life

ljbad4life Member

I agree with william, They might be measuring from mirror to mirror and the mirrors are pretty far off the body (to reduce wind noise and better aerodynamics). The Model is is wide but not crazy wide.

4. William13

William13 Member

The measurement IS from tip of mirror to tip of mirror, unlike many other cars listed measurements.

5. gdh66

gdh66 Member

At the event in Fremont I was told by Peter Rawlinson that it did have electric mirrors which can be retracted manually as well.

6. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Just checked out the red beta in Menlo Park: the mirrors are completely stuck; I could not push them in manually for sure. Don't know if there's an option on the touchscreen to somehow fold them in. This is a beta, of course, and things should change.

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Well considering the door latches don't work something like the mirrors could not be high on the list from the prototypers.

8. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Was it just the Red? I did see a video of the handles working on the White

9. William13

William13 Member

I expect the mirrors will fold in manually just like most other cars. Having them remotely fold would just be asking for malfunctions.

10. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Why? It's not exactly rocket science these days. It's fairly common in high end cars

11. Cobos

I might add that for the Ford Focus automaticly folded mirrors is an option, part of of a parking package. The Focus is not a high end car, so lots of stuff that before was high-end only is now options or standard on cheap compact cars.
    But everyone seems to go for question 2, noone knows anything about question 1? The plastic rail to protect the sides of the car.

Cobos

12. ljbad4life

ljbad4life Member

If that's not standard the plastic rail is always a "dealer" installed option/ after market job

13. Cobos

Yes but that's the point. I completely see the reason for something that is not painted to protect the paint, but usually it looks like crap. If on the other hand a skilled designer like Franz spent time incorperating it into the actual design we might get the protection we want and still have a car that looks good. And my initial point was that considering the width wich is wider than the Audi Q7 it's going to be tight in Norwegian parking spaces (which are a lot smaller than the US ones by default) I would have to get a plastic rail.

Cobos

14. William13

William13 Member

My point is just that the more things that move, the more risk of malfunction over time. I have mild concerns about a small, new company doing so many things.

15. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Fair point, but they're not reinventing the wheel. There's plenty of resources for them to either reference or source the parts from.

16. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#16 TEG, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    I don't think these are too popular in the USA (yet). Maybe more-so in other countries where narrow garages are more common (e.g.: Japan.)

17. SByer

SByer '08 #383

Having come back from Scotland recently, it's not just garages, but the crazy places people have to park. The roads there go from too narrow to much, much narrower, and parking is often along one side of the street - a few inches, especially at heights that match those goofy foreigners and their crazy-wide cars (we had a Ford Mondeo rental - normal American width, 3" too wide a number of times) makes a huge difference. You park in a wide car with mirrors that don't fold in, you're just asking for it. Having to do that manually, in a narrow street where everybody just bailed out the sidewalk side due to circumstances, seems a little more than an amenity.

(Oh, and it was shocking how much better the Mondeo was than normal American Fords.)

And I so want the panoramic view side mirrors we had. 'Americans can't handle the distortion' my ass.

18. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Cobos, the width of the Model S could be seen as an advantage to the drivability and the stability of the platform. There is not much TM could to protect the "S" because of people and their carelessness. I think TM can add folding mirrors but as an option. Does anyone think the mirror design lends itself to folding mirrors? I do not think so...

19. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Actually it does, you just can't see it. The folding mechanism is very clever. The hinge is about halfway down the stalk and the mirror shell pivots in.

20. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Yeah, I was gonna say if you ever street park in NYC, you'd best fold your mirrors in.