Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Size of Update Downloads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
I would like to have an idea of the size of the downloads when the car updates. I realise that there will be some variability but a general idea would be useful. Does anyone know? Our Wifi runs from a 4G router and we have a capped data limit. I usually monitor this but had not done so recently. I looked yesterday to see how we are doing this month and our usage has been massively higher than usual. It could be other factors but I would like to rule out what the car is likely to be using. I am trying to account for about 30GB and I was reckoning a download for the car is unlikely to be anything like that (though I note there are maps updates too).

I checked the most recent maps update, it was over 7GB.

I have an SR+ so we have just acquired satellite maps. I'm not sure how it is done but given how smooth and uninterrupted the satellite view is, even driving through country areas with flaky data, it makes me think I may have pre-downloaded the entire UK in full detail satellite view! I noticed maps update downloads over a couple of days last week ... this could well account for a fair old lump of data!

I have an SR+ so we have just acquired satellite maps. I'm not sure how it is done but given how smooth and uninterrupted the satellite view is, even driving through country areas with flaky data, it makes me think I may have pre-downloaded the entire UK in full detail satellite view! I noticed maps update downloads over a couple of days last week ... this could well account for a fair old lump of data!

I don't think it does cache the images - my LR AWD frequently stops updating the satellite view when driving around the Yorkshire Dales where there's often no coverage.

Reactions: Milky and Roy W.
ah right ... I've not gone too far afield yet ...!
This is interesting. To throw in another quirk there makes me think that’s a bug rather than a cache/data issue, my maps load and work fine going east on the M62 past Leeds. Yet going west, presumably connected to the same cell tower and on the same part of the map/same road, it locks me out and gives me a white screen. Navigation still works fine. This screen persists until I’m home, the place I drive around all the time without any map issues. So it’s like it’s encountered an error loading a background satellite image near Leeds and only sorts itself out when I park the car and it sleeps or I reboot it on arrival at home.

Also, toggling satellite maps on and off doesn't result in the non-satellite version being displayed. It’s like it’s just not sure what it’s doing. I’ve had this behaviour 3 times this month on the same stretch of road at the end of a 250mile Journey with no other issues. Not one issue going east.