Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Size of wheel spacers on staggered turbines?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Just picked up my CPOd P85+ this past weekend and have been in awe of the vehicle. It's truly an 'experience' as one of the forum members stated.

Being a big fan of a wheels and tires that are flush with quarter panels, I'd like to install a set of wheel spacers on my OEM staggered turbines (on my 2013 P85+). I've installed H&Rs before on a 07 BMW M6 and really enjoyed them, however, I don't think they're available for a MS. I've been reading some forum members using ADAPTEC (Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Rings for your car! | Motorsport Tech) spacers.

QUESTION - any recommendations on a product? size? leaning towards 20 MMs all around - or shall I go with a staggered set of spacers for the staggered wheels?

Much appreciated.

-HB

I have wheel spacers front and rear as well as a staggered set up. The spacers are hub and wheel centric, 18mm front and 5mm rear (you don't want the same spacer size front and rear with a staggered set up unless your rear tires are the same spec as the front). Bought them from Motorsport Tech, a company I highly recommend for the quality of both product and customer service.

I have wheel spacers front and rear as well as a staggered set up. The spacers are hub and wheel centric, 18mm front and 5mm rear (you don't want the same spacer size front and rear with a staggered set up unless your rear tires are the same spec as the front). Bought them from Motorsport Tech, a company I highly recommend for the quality of both product and customer service.

Thank you artsci. Appreciate the info. A few questions for you if I may: are your spacers aluminum or steel? If steel, any concerns about the additional weight on performance?
I believe your wheels are not the OeMs 21 turbines...if not, What spacer sizes shall I go with?

Thank you artsci. Appreciate the info. A few questions for you if I may: are your spacers aluminum or steel? If steel, any concerns about the additional weight on performance?
I believe your wheels are not the OeMs 21 turbines...if not, What spacer sizes shall I go with?

The spacers are aluminum. I've noticed no change in performance or in efficiency (some claim having the wheels line up with the fender edges creates more drag but my my Wh/mile have remained the same). I have 20" wheels but I'll switch back to 21" for the summer when the Arachnids are delivered. The offset for the 20"s is 30 and for the arachnids 40 and I already have the spacers for the latter. I calculate spacer size based on the offset and the tire section width, with the goal of making the outer edge of the tires flush with the fenders. For the arachinds and Pilot Super Sports the spacers need to be 10mm more, which accounts for their 10mm higher offset of the arachnids versus my current wheels.

The spacers are aluminum. I've noticed no change in performance or in efficiency (some claim having the wheels line up with the fender edges creates more drag but my my Wh/mile have remained the same). I have 20" wheels but I'll switch back to 21" for the summer when the Arachnids are delivered. The offset for the 20"s is 30 and for the arachnids 40 and I already have the spacers for the latter. I calculate spacer size based on the offset and the tire section width, with the goal of making the outer edge of the tires flush with the fenders. For the arachinds and Pilot Super Sports the spacers need to be 10mm more, which accounts for their 10mm higher offset of the arachnids versus my current wheels.

You rock. Thank you.

Dumb question as this is all new to me. I'm running the 19" Slip Stream wheels on my MS P90DL. If I wanted to add spaces so that the Rims are nearly flush with the body, what size of spaces should I be ordering from Motorsport Tech?

The following info was provided by another forum member on another post regarding wheel spacers. Based on this info - I'd suggest you try either 20MM (conservative) or 25MM (more aggressive and flush) on the 19s.

19" split 5 spoke (standard wheels)
8.0x19 et40 all around

21" turbine set
8.5x21 et40 all around, so call it the square 21" turbine

21" turbine sport or P+ set (call then staggered)
8.5x21 et 40 fronts
9.0x21 et 40 rears

The staggered 21" turbine set is the flushness equivalent of running the square 21" turbine set with 6 mm spacers on the rears. This is because the extra 1/2" of wheel width = extra 1/4" inside width and 1/4" outside width, and 1/4" = 6.35 mm).

Taking that further...
Square 21" turbine is the flushness equivalent of standard 19" 5 split spokes with 6mm spacers on all 4 corners.

Staggered 21" turbine is the flushness equivalent of 5 split spoke 19" with 6mm spacers in the front and 13mm spacers in the rear (rounding) .

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18

Just to clarify...the 21" staggered set up provides a flush look.with 18mm front and 5mm rear for turbine, however increase to 28mm front and 15mm rear for arachnids? Seems like a larger rear! I currently have turbines but awaiting arachnids by end of Oct. Considering ordering.

I have a P100D arriving in 2 weeks and not sure if the spacers can handle that sort or torque.
Also do you notice any premature tire wear or rather any camber alignment issues with spacers on for a period of time now? Curious thanks!

Last edited:
Just to clarify...the 21" staggered set up provides a flush look.with 18mm front and 5mm rear for turbine, however increase to 28mm front and 15mm rear for arachnids? Seems like a larger rear! I currently have turbines but awaiting arachnids by end of Oct. Considering ordering.

I have a P100D arriving in 2 weeks and not sure if the spacers can handle that sort or torque.
Also do you notice any premature tire wear or rather any camber alignment issues with spacers on for a period of time now? Curious thanks!

Yes, as the offset is 10mm more on the arachnids (than the wheels I have now -- Avant Grade 20" -- for me the rear and front spacers have to have a 10mm increase in diameter. The arachnids are out for powder coating at the moment, but should be on the car in about a week. I already have the right size spacers so it should be easy to install them. It's the lug bolts, not the spacers themselves, that have to be able to handle the torque, and if the bolts are to spec that should not be a problem, provided the lug nuts are torqued to spec (129 ft lbs). Spacers this large have two sets of lug bolts -- the OEM set which holds the spacers onto the hub and a set built into the spacers themselves, which hold the wheel on to the hub, with the spacers in between. The Motor Sport Tech spacers meet these standards. Don't go with cheaper versions that don't -- you'll be playing with safety.

• Helpful
Spacers this large have two sets of lug bolts -- the OEM set which holds the spacers onto the hub and a set built into the spacers themselves, which hold the wheel on to the hub, with the spacers in between. The Motor Sport Tech spacers meet these standards. Don't go with cheaper versions that don't -- you'll be playing with safety.

@artsci, I happen to be going through this process now with Motor Sport Tech spacers and I was guessing that the lug nuts on the spacers should be torqued the same as the OEM lug nuts, but wanted confirmation. My notes actually say 125 ft lbs and you have 129 ft lbs. You torqued both sets to 129 ft lbs, right?

The lug nuts Motor Sport Tech originally sent were pretty shallow that seemed to be made of fairly soft metal and didn't feel like they could hold up to that much torque, so I stopped short, pulled them off, and asked if they could sent a deeper set made of harder metal. They said yes and it should be in my mailbox now.

• Helpful
There are some before and after photos in this thread I think.

IMG_6847.JPG
IMG_6842.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6847.JPG
    IMG_6847.JPG
    344.3 KB · Views: 712
As I'll have my car back from the bodyshop Monday and the arachnid wheels should be back from the powder coater on Tuesday, in preparation for mounting the arachnids with the Michelin Pilot Sport tires I recalculated the spacer width so that the tires are flush with the upper outside edge of the fender wells front and where. These dimensions take into account the offset of the arachnids and the section width of the Michelin tires. According to my calculations to achieve the effect I want the front spacer must be 30mm and the rear 22mm.

I'll be at the shop when all of this is done so I'll take photos of the process and before and after shots.

Attachments

• IMG_1110.JPG
    IMG_1110.JPG
    416.5 KB · Views: 782
  • IMG_1112.JPG
    IMG_1112.JPG
    512.2 KB · Views: 767
  • IMG_1115.JPG
    IMG_1115.JPG
    452.2 KB · Views: 751
  • IMG_1118.JPG
    IMG_1118.JPG
    450.1 KB · Views: 751
  • IMG_1121.JPG
    IMG_1121.JPG
    323.4 KB · Views: 779
  • IMG_1122.JPG
    IMG_1122.JPG
    429.9 KB · Views: 780
  • IMG_1142.JPG
    IMG_1142.JPG
    577.5 KB · Views: 790
  • IMG_1169.JPG
    IMG_1169.JPG
    337.3 KB · Views: 758
  • IMG_1170.JPG
    IMG_1170.JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 735
I mounted the Adaptec spacers sold by Motor Sports Tech listed above on my Model X, but when I took it in for service at Tesla they reported the bolts were low quality, and the smaller nuts holding the spacer to the hub had started to come loose and were dangerous. I'm hesitant to go with this design where you end up with 10 bolts and more risk of movement. Has anyone tried opening the hub and installing longer bolts so you can mount a spacer without needing a second set of bolts in the spacer?

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I mounted the Adaptec spacers sold by Motor Sports Tech listed above on my Model X, but when I took it in for service at Tesla they reported the bolts were low quality, and the smaller nuts holding the spacer to the hub had started to come loose and were dangerous. I'm hesitant to go with this design where you end up with 10 bolts and more risk of movement. Has anyone tried opening the hub and installing longer bolts so you can mount a spacer without needing a second set of bolts in the spacer?

If the nuts are torqued to spec (129 ftlbs) they should not come loose. I’ve had spacers on my car for about a year and the nuts have never come loose. Just make sure they’re steel nuts and as deep as you can make them. Properly installed, spacers are not a safety risk. Improperly installed they are a certain risk. But that’s the same without spacers — it’s all about the quality of the installation and the parts.

BTW, I never take my car to the SC with the spacers on — always remove them ahead of time. This avoids blame being placed on the spacers by Tesla for all kinds of possible service issues, even though I’ve had none.

Here are some iPhone pics of 18mm all around on a staggered set of 21inch turbines. Only experience rub on the front end in reverse when the steering wheel is >50%.
Shout out to Motor Sports Tech. Exceptional quality for a reasonable price.
Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Rings, and much more! | Motorsport Tech

Thanks for posting this, it was exactly what I was looking for!

I’ve just ordered 4x15mm spacers and lowering links (air suspension) so looking forward to the result!