Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Size vs. Cargo volume

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I currently drive a Prius v from 2012, it's really interesting to compare a few key stats:

Stat Model X Prius v
Length 198.3" 181.7" X is 16.6" longer
Width 81.5" 69.9" X is < 11.6" wider (Prius data is "body width" Model X is "mirrors folded")
Total Cargo Vol. 62.6 cu ft 67.3 cu ft X is 4.7 cu ft Less Volume (note: X data is 7 seat config, Prius is a 5 seater but both drop to 2 seater at max volume).

I just don't understand how a car with a frunk and no need for ICE's space consuming drive train components, that's far longer and wider can have a cargo volume so much smaller than the smaller Hybrid car?

Granted, going to a 6 seat config gains back significant volume for cargo and at that point almost certainly exceeds the Prius v's volume, it's still surprising how little it would exceed the volume.

Is Tesla, perhaps, not counting the volume of the Frunk and the under-shelf trunk in their stat?

Peter+

So I currently drive a Prius v from 2012, it's really interesting to compare a few key stats:

Stat Model X Prius v
Length 198.3" 181.7" X is 16.6" longer
Width 81.5" 69.9" X is < 11.6" wider (Prius data is "body width" Model X is "mirrors folded")
Total Cargo Vol. 62.6 cu ft 67.3 cu ft X is 4.7 cu ft Less Volume (note: X data is 7 seat config, Prius is a 5 seater but both drop to 2 seater at max volume).

I just don't understand how a car with a frunk and no need for ICE's space consuming drive train components, that's far longer and wider can have a cargo volume so much smaller than the smaller Hybrid car?

Granted, going to a 6 seat config gains back significant volume for cargo and at that point almost certainly exceeds the Prius v's volume, it's still surprising how little it would exceed the volume.

Is Tesla, perhaps, not counting the volume of the Frunk and the under-shelf trunk in their stat?

Peter+
I suspect it's more related to how they refuse to allow the second row to fold, it's not cargo space if it's full of seats.
If you're talking storage space with seats up, then you're being a bit unfair in comparing a 7 seater to a 5 seater, the MX has a whole extra row of seating, and it takes more than that 16" of extra length to fit in a full row of seats plus leg room.

I suspect it's more related to how they refuse to allow the second row to fold, it's not cargo space if it's full of seats.

Granted, but in "cargo mode" you can't really sit in those seats anyway, space loss should be less than 15". The Prius has no frunk and it's under shelf trunk is only about 3" deep. So I don't understand how the stats can be as bad as they are on the X

Granted, but in "cargo mode" you can't really sit in those seats anyway, space loss should be less than 15". The Prius has no frunk and it's under shelf trunk is only about 3" deep. So I don't understand how the stats can be as bad as they are on the X

I suspect that they're not including the "cargo" space on/under the 2nd row (when fully moved forward) because it is not a contiguous space. Since it's broken up via the 2nd-row seat-backs, you can't use it to transport something long (unless you can somehow break it into pieces).

But it's a very valid point you make and one that was repeated many times when it was first discovered that the 2nd row doesn't fold. I suspect that if Tesla comes out with a folding 2nd row, you'll see the cargo-space numbers shoot past the Prius.

I suspect that they're not including the "cargo" space on/under the 2nd row (when fully moved forward) because it is not a contiguous space. Since it's broken up via the 2nd-row seat-backs, you can't use it to transport something long (unless you can somehow break it into pieces).

But it's a very valid point you make and one that was repeated many times when it was first discovered that the 2nd row doesn't fold. I suspect that if Tesla comes out with a folding 2nd row, you'll see the cargo-space numbers shoot past the Prius.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=525748dd9175356b1b4c6f5c47c9dd9d&oe=57493F2B

This is just sad :confused:

Given that the rear seats don't fold flat into the floor (that is my understanding) and the middle seats only move forward what looks to be maybe 35-40%, I agree that the X does not look like it can carry a lot. It also looks very very odd to load: tall things between the mid and read, shorter, squarer things on the rear folded seats and little misc things either on the tilted mid seats or under them. Wow. How inconvenient.

It seems very clear to me that they were focusing on a luxury people hauler and not a luxury stuff hauler. That's not necessarily bad in my book. I can't wait for a load comparison between a non-D S and the X. I have a hunch that the S might well beat it. My S holds about 10-15% more than my old Acura RDX CUV, which did pretty good; flat floor, easy access.

But I have to say, if I were dropping that much coin on an X, I would not want to use it as a stuff hauler. I suspect it has good room for people and luggage. But not for the kind of stuff many of us do: Lumber, bikes, appliances, etc. It'll be interesting to see if that limits its appeal or if people will have another vehicle for the big stuff.

I'm not in the market for one. But I can't wait to crawl through it and check this kind of stuff out.

If you really want to optimize your X as a stuff hauler, perhaps you could unbolt and remove the center row of seats. That would leave you with a 4 seater with limo like rear seating and when you need to pile in the stuff,you could simply fold down the rear seats.

If you really want to optimize your X as a stuff hauler, perhaps you could unbolt and remove the center row of seats. That would leave you with a 4 seater with limo like rear seating and when you need to pile in the stuff,you could simply fold down the rear seats.

I would have loved that option, but I just don't see it being available. There are wiring harnesses, torque requirements, etc. Maybe one could do it, but Tesla would be unlikely to condone it.

My decision was to pay $750 for the towing option and just use my trailer when necessary. It's not ideal, but neither is an ICE.

Sadly, that doesn't seem to be a possibility (it would be awesome if it were).

That said, the 6 seater config will definitely be better for me. My 2M airplanes *can* ride in my Prius v but I have to slide the front passenger seat so far forward as to turn the car into a single seater if I want to haul one plane and if I want to take 2 planes the driver's seat needs to go uncomfortably far forward for me to drive. Fitting everything I need for a contest into the v is challenging between the planes, transmitter, tools, etc. and my luggage, backpack, the scoring system I'm responsible for, 1kW generator, battery chargers, etc.

Jury is out on whether I'll be able to fit one or two planes in the X (I have a couple of ideas for handling 2, but they need to be proven in the practical reality of the car and I haven't been comfortable doing that with someone else car) but beyond the plane(s) everything else will far more easily (and safely) load into the X. I strongly suspect the cargo numbers to be wrong from Tesla, perhaps they are talking only about contiguous cargo space? If that's the case then I believe their 62.6 cu ft spec. but I'll easily be able to transport the generator, fuel cans for the generator, transmitter, scoring system boxes, luggage, backpack, etc. with room to spare in the X. Jury out whether I can carry my coolest cooler (hoping I can, would love to be able to have a blender at the field along with cans/bottles/cheese/sausage/crackers, etc. :) but I'll live without the Coolest if I have to.

Peter+

- - - Updated - - -

I would have loved that option, but I just don't see it being available. There are wiring harnesses, torque requirements, etc. Maybe one could do it, but Tesla would be unlikely to condone it.

My decision was to pay $750 for the towing option and just use my trailer when necessary. It's not ideal, but neither is an ICE.

Yeah, I have a friend holding onto a 5x10' trailer (total weight loaded < 1000lb) for me to have first right of refusal on a purchase dependent on the range effect on the X. If I can still get from supercharger to supercharger with a trailer, that would be a no-brainer for me, though I wish I didn't lose auto steer in trailer mode.

Peter+

Disconnecting the trailer to charge is also a bummer. I have been shopping travel trailers and that's the one huge hangup I have.

Would that be necessary? Are SpC cables that short? (Understood that the shorter the better for the amount of current passing through that cable!) Looking at the images of the Gilroy and Harris Ranch superchargers it seems like it would be possible to pull the car in forward and have the cable be very close to the charge port on the driver's side.

Even in the Mountain View SpC, here's a pic of a white S pulled in forward: Google Maps

Peter+

Would that be necessary? Are SpC cables that short? Looking at the images of the Gilroy and Harris Ranch superchargers it seems like it would be possible to pull the car in forward and have the cable be very close to the charge port on the driver's side.

Even in the Mountain View SpC, here's a pic of a white S pulled in forward

The Mountain View Superchargers are the pull-through variety. In that case, you could pull through, but you'd leave the trailer in the roadway blocking others from reaching their chargers. If you're lucky, you might get an end spot that isn't too obtrusive. This has crossed my mind before, but I think it's nothing to be counting on.

Most Superchargers are back-in only. They're against the back wall or curb. The cables will absolutely not reach to the charge port on the car unless you disconnect your trailer and back in. Or, again, if you pull up sideways and block all of the spots. :scared:

The Mountain View Superchargers are the pull-through variety. In that case, you could pull through, but you'd leave the trailer in the roadway blocking others from reaching their chargers. If you're lucky, you might get an end spot that isn't too obtrusive. This has crossed my mind before, but I think it's nothing to be counting on.

Most Superchargers are back-in only. They're against the back wall or curb. The cables will absolutely not reach to the charge port on the car unless you disconnect your trailer and back in. Or, again, if you pull up sideways and block all of the spots. :scared:
While I don't plan on towing a trailer, this last point will be a pain for me as well as I plan on having a bike or four on a hitch mount rack. Could I unload them all at each Supercharger? Yes. Do I want to? Not really. No. It would take longer than dropping a trailer.

Here's to hoping they add more pull through Superchargers! ;-)

While I don't plan on towing a trailer, this last point will be a pain for me as well as I plan on having a bike or four on a hitch mount rack. Could I unload them all at each Supercharger? Yes. Do I want to? Not really. No. It would take longer than dropping a trailer.

Yup I'm in total agreement. Also, where do you leave/lock up your $20k worth of bikes while the car charges? I wouldn't feel good about having them out of my sight while I go for a burger.

There could be a solution to having to detach the trailer every time you supercharge. They could add a 1 or 2 superchargers to each station that allows you to pull all the way through so you don't have to back in or detach a trailer. But range is still an issue when towing large trailers.

I remember reading somewhere that someone who installed a hitch mount on their S for a bike rack said they could still back into a supercharger and the cable could reach the charge port. I think it's *just* long enough.

No problem having a bike hitch on a pull in SC spot...and likely not an issue for most back in SC spots either. As for trailers....I'm hoping Tesla will see the need and begin to install trailer only and/or trailer compatible SC stations as the X is proliferated....Mt View SC in Pic below
Mountain View SC.jpg

Yup I'm in total agreement. Also, where do you leave/lock up your $20k worth of bikes while the car charges? I wouldn't feel good about having them out of my sight while I go for a burger.
Damn. I hadn't even thought about this part! Ugh.

I remember reading somewhere that someone who installed a hitch mount on their S for a bike rack said they could still back into a supercharger and the cable could reach the charge port. I think it's *just* long enough.
That would be great but most I've seen have a sign post or something basically ON the curb such that with a 4 bike rack on it would likely be *just* a bit too far away. I hope I'm wrong.

No problem having a bike hitch on a pull in SC spot...and likely not an issue for most back in SC spots either. As for trailers....I'm hoping Tesla will see the need and begin to install trailer only and/or trailer compatible SC stations as the X is proliferated....Mt View SC in Pic below
Thanks for that vangogh! Yeah, I don't see it as a problem with 2 bikes and I agree on the pull throughs. I'm thinking about when I go to a stage race or other road trip and I have a full 4 bike mount on.

Last edited: