Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Skamania Lodge Charging support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BriansTesla

Old school meets new tech
May 8, 2012
AI WA
Hi Northwesterners.

I wanted to let everyone know about charging available at Skamania Lodge.

We just arrived yesterday after driving from Tacoma to Portland to Skamania Lodge with a stopover at the Centralia Supercharger. We arrived with about 30 miles left. I had called a few days ago when making reservations and talked to the desk and a maintenance person and was told that there were a couple of options, one being a 50 amp 220V outlet.

After settling in, Jerry the maintenance guy was summoned to direct me to a charging location. It was after 9:00PM and of course dark. The first location was just inside a garage door in the rear of the main lodge building. It appeared to be a NEMA 6-20 and I said I didn't have an adapter for that receptacle. Back trailing Jerry's three wheeled cart, we checked an outbuilding and guess what, there was a nice white Tesla tucked up against the building. Jerry showed me the plug-ins and they were standard 120V outlets. We were planning a three day stay so 120V charging might have been OK but We had planned some driving around the area and I thought a 240V outlet would be better.

Back trailing Jerry, we went to the far side of the main parking lot where there was a picnic table with a good sized electrical box next to it. As Jerry opened the door, voila, there was the good old NEMA 14-50. Unfortunately, the box was quite a few feet from the parking lot (28 feet to be exact) and I noticed the curb was pretty tall. I definitely could not approach the curb going forward so decided to try backing over. As I write this, I realize I should have raised the suspension height. Duh! It took a few tries because of the slippery slope but eventually I rolled up to the box and plugged in. 240V and 40 amps, great!
IMG_20140119_112525925t.jpg

I tipped Jerry $20 and told him I really appreciated his efforts. He had actually offered to go get some boards to help me get over the curb which I declined.

The next morning I did notice that if I entered up the hill a bit and drove over the grass volley ball court I could avoid the high curb. A helper would have to lift the net.

The desk did say that they are considering installing some real charging outlets. I encouraged them.

IMG_20140119_112454275t.jpg
IMG_20140119_112513077t.jpg
IMG_20140119_112642141t.jpg

After an experience "sorta like this..." I started carrying a 25 foot 50A cable that has NEMA 14-50 male/female ends. This plus my Tesla travel charger allows connection to most charging opportunities.

I was thinking the same. This is the best deal I could find, 30ft 50amp. I'm sure there is already a discussion here somewhere about extension cords.

51Oh4LlrhvL.jpg