Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Skeptical of crowd sourcing claims.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My expectation is that the first big flaw we've collectively identified will have to be addressed immediately, or it will contribute to an accident and cause Tesla a mountain of bad press. I'm talking, of course, about the system's willingness to make a dive for highway exits, both left and right, when the driver has made no turn indication: it's been mentioned by nearly every reviewer I've seen, is well within Tesla's claims for the Autopilot's current capabilities and would seem to be amenable to a fix. That it has not been ironed out prior to beta release argues otherwise, however.

My expectation is that the first big flaw we've collectively identified will have to be addressed immediately, or it will contribute to an accident and cause Tesla a mountain of bad press. I'm talking, of course, about the system's willingness to make a dive for highway exits, both left and right, when the driver has made no turn indication: it's been mentioned by nearly every reviewer I've seen, is well within Tesla's claims for the Autopilot's current capabilities and would seem to be amenable to a fix. That it has not been ironed out prior to beta release argues otherwise, however.

It's a nearly impossible problem to solve without extremely fine road mapping. You simply can't rely on the sensors for this problem since exits may run straight while the road curves, other cars may take the exit ramp so can't simply lock on to them, and there is no common indicator that something is an exit (dotted versus dashed lane markers, for example.