Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sketchiest Supercharger Sites

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not quite certain what "sketchy" may mean....however I tell my story....

Well I was at the Centralia Washington supercharger with my P100D blue baby. It was near sundown and my car was the only one there so it was a bit lonely and creepy. There was one guy wearing a red hoodie, faded jeans, and cheap tennis shoes looking VERY suspicious pacing back and forth near my car.

Now in my defense, I had not done laundry in a few days and the red hoodie etc. was all I could throw on before heading out to the supercharger. In any event I still creeped myself out. I was glad when the car was fully charged and I could get back home and crawl into bed and watch "The Walking Dead" marathon. o_O

[re Grand Junction] also had an issue at the Holiday Inn not far away. That place is very poorly lighted and next to some sort of junk area where homeless folks were hanging out. You might know where I mean. Not going to stay there again. Do you have a better recommendation?

Don't know that hotel, no. Since I live just 90 minutes south, I don't hotel there often -- except for business conferences. Those are almost always at the Doubletree on Horizon Dr., a couple of freeway exits to the east.

I am not quite certain what "sketchy" may mean....

You, in a hoodie, telling folks your handle is "Mobster"!

The one at the Palm Beach service center... That area isn't really so great...

Also, there is one like at the border of Maryland and Pennsylvania. Forget the town name, I didn't feel unsafe there considering the superchargers are literally in a shell gas station but the whole area felt very Podunk! Didn't help that I was there at midnight.

Kingman is a sketchy place in general!

Kingman's only claim to fame in the last century is that is where most of the surplus American aircraft were scrapped after World War II. Some of the aluminum in our cars probably passed through the Kingman smelters.

I haven't been to a lot of Superchargers, but the sketchiest I've been to is Corning, CA. It is behind a bank and there is a hotel behind it, but the rest of the area is a dying strip mall. The whole area had a grunginess to it and there were some people around the neighborhood who seemed a bit sketchy. Though I was there late afternoon.

I did meet a guy there with a green Model S. He said his car was one of the first regular production Ss.

I had the truly baffling experience almost stepping in a pile of crap...yep, someone had taken a deuce at the north Houston supercharger site.... I'm not sure if this qualifies as sketchy, but it was so gross I just gagged typing this. Ugh, so gross. This is probably what made Elon raise the rates on supercharging.

• Funny
Reactions: VT_EE
And now I must apologize! Oh my! We are planning a long trip down the east coast all the way to Miami and I told my wife...”seems that South Carolina (SC) is problematic for charging.
Wow, so sorry to all!
South Carolina, much love Charleston is on my no. 1 stop places. Will tip nicely to compensate for my rookie mistake here.

I agree with Quartzsite as being somewhat sketchy. It is at the rear of a Carl's Jr. parking lot/drive through, and there were some itinerant types hanging around the restaurant when I drove up.

I do not have a problem with Corning. I have been there in the late morning, early and late afternoon and night time ~8:30. Usually I am not the only Tesla charging there. The motel is not that high-end, but it seems OK.

Kingman is down the hill from a trailer park and the clientele that trailer parks in rural communities attract. Kingman was the home of the late actor, Andy Devine.

I believe that the overriding feeling about many locations is that we might encounter individuals who make us feel uncomfortable rather than unsafe. I admit to being out of my comfort zone when approached by panhandlers, grifters, and others looking for a few bucks' worth of pity or charity. And it is sort of incongruous for us to be driving a $100K +/- car and not have a fin to give them.

The only times that I have charged between 9PM and 6AM were three-plus years ago before the network started expanding in size and popularity. So, maybe times have changed and the word is getting on the street that there are expensive cars plugged in for 30-60 minutes at a time that might make for easy pickins.

Reactions: emlombardo
I've charged 22 times at Grand Junction on various road trips and never had a problem. However, I've been visiting that shopping mall for almost two decades, so it is quite familiar. Did have a mall security cop stop by once to ask the usual questions about my car, but that's been it for interactions. If I have old electronic devices that need recycling I try to remember to bring them with me since the Best Buy store there takes them, usually for free except for CRTs.

The Supercharger Station I've read about here at TMC that seems to give people security concerns is the first Las Vegas one. I haven't been there, so I wouldn't know and there is another Supercharger Station in Las Vegas, so no need to use the old one.

Last edited:
I agree with Quartzsite as being somewhat sketchy. It is at the rear of a Carl's Jr. parking lot/drive through, and there were some itinerant types hanging around the restaurant when I drove up.

I do not have a problem with Corning. I have been there in the late morning, early and late afternoon and night time ~8:30. Usually I am not the only Tesla charging there. The motel is not that high-end, but it seems OK.

Kingman is down the hill from a trailer park and the clientele that trailer parks in rural communities attract. Kingman was the home of the late actor, Andy Devine.

I believe that the overriding feeling about many locations is that we might encounter individuals who make us feel uncomfortable rather than unsafe. I admit to being out of my comfort zone when approached by panhandlers, grifters, and others looking for a few bucks' worth of pity or charity. And it is sort of incongruous for us to be driving a $100K +/- car and not have a fin to give them.

The only times that I have charged between 9PM and 6AM were three-plus years ago before the network started expanding in size and popularity. So, maybe times have changed and the word is getting on the street that there are expensive cars plugged in for 30-60 minutes at a time that might make for easy pickins.

I would think if people actually were getting robbed at superchargers, we'd hear about it. I've heard about superchargers that were vandalized for equipment (and copper), but I have never heard a story of anyone being robbed or assaulted at one.

I've known some people and heard stories of others who were robbed on the street in the past, but I haven't heard any stories in a long time. I'm sure it still happens, but with all the stories of gun violence on the news in the US, would be muggers are probably focusing more on property crime like steeling things they can sell at a scrap yard.

I did read somewhere that the rate of home invasion robberies in the US was much lower than most of the rest of the world and someone who interviewed people in prison for house robbery found that America house thieves are careful to make sure nobody is home before breaking into a house because they are afraid the homeowner is armed. Doing 5 years in prison beats doing forever in the cemetery because you broke into the wrong house.

I'm not a rabid gun advocate (nor am I a rabid gun hater). I've actually never fired one, but the upside of the possibility that anyone may be carrying a weapon is probably a good deterrent for getting robbed by a stranger. I once drove off a would be mugger by unzipping my jacket like I would if I had a shoulder holster. He never got close enough to do anything, but he tailed a friend and I for a few blocks and took off down an alley as I unzipped my jacket while looking at him.

There was an incident in Alexandria, LA last year: Tesla Trip To Hell & Back

And there was some sort of uncomfortable encounter in, I want to say, Montana last year, as well as a report of break-ins at the Manteca SC.

Suffice it to say, that while we are a fortunate bunch in more ways than one to have so few reports of nefarious behavior at SCs themselves, there are also the all-too-frequent reports of rear triangle window break-ins at Bay Area parking lots. It's possible the recent takedown of a fairly massive criminal element associated with thousands of laptop and other thefts up thataway may dent that frequency, but time will tell.

In general as a result of the changing realities associated with SCing and for that matter, just parking the chariot, I am reminded of 3 basic tenets that I follow with this and any future Tesla:

1. Awareness of one's surroundings, as one would do with any other vehicle or parking scenario, which includes an awareness of what's visible in the car - which is to say as little as possible.

2. I have a product called C-Bond (I) applied during the window tinting process. The triangle windows are small, so having those re-tinted with this solution is not an expensive proposition. Note that C-Bond I is *not* the bulletproof stuff (C-Bond II) that requires different tint and glass as far as I know. It's just a solution mixed in with the same (what I call) soapy water that's used for window tinting in general. Makes the glass harder to penetrate. If interested, search my previous posts or the forum in general for "C-Bond" as well as for "Extreme Autowerks" for a very illustrative video.

3. I tend to stay with the car during the first visit or two (or every visit) to an SC location that is... less than optimal.

Obligatory disclaimer: I have no association with C-Bond or with Extreme Autowerks other than being a repeat customer of the latter for Photosync tint and for Opticoat Pro (Plus). I find the owner, Bing, and the master detailer, Ryan, to be consummate professionals and I'm fortunate that they are local - they've done hundreds of Teslas. If you are not local, well, here's a perfect excuse to add a day or two to a trip to Disneyland, because they, as well as Reus Audio Systems, are right down the street - which in SoCal terms means within about a half-hour on the freeway if there's no trafffic.

Lastly, I realize that the above is more vehicle security-centric than personal safety-centric. With regard to the latter, an attempted carjacking or attempted mugging or similar can happen to anybody, and should be both thought about and planned for - preparation is key. I've done that preparation, and have various means at my disposal to address those sorts of things. I'm also not entirely comfortable discussing what those choices of means are in a public forum, but one of those means would absolutely be a travel-sized container of spray. Fits well in the door storage area. Avoid and evade if possible, in other words.

This includes, in the more urban areas (let's pick on SoCal), noting that when passing through, one does have multiple choices of which SC to use. One resource I love is the very well-maintained SC Tips and Tricks thread at the Model S forum at Electric Cars, Solar Panels & Clean Energy Storage | Tesla. After you've mapped your route using EV Trip Planner or similar, just have a quick look at that thread for all sorts of local and visitor knowledge. To that end, when, for example, trying to get through LA/the OC via the 405, I might recommend using the Redondo Beach SC rather than the Fountain Valley SC if very late at night and concerned, just because the former has hotel security that patrols the parking lot(s) and the latter does not. Or vice versa during mid-weekdays, since the former can get quite busy with those darned aerospace freeloader ^H^H^H ( :) ) long distance commuter types combined with livery and even some travelers.