Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sketchiest Supercharger Sites

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have visited 50 superchargers over the past 2 years, and I have to say that I have never really felt unsafe. If I had to pick one, I would say Kingman, AZ (visited in June, 2017). It's in the parking lot of a Carl's Jr. restaurant and there were some sketchy people wandering around while I was there. But Tesla didn't have a lot of choice as to where to locate this particular supercharger, so I don't fault them at all.

I've visited about 50 SCs as well during the last year. All were in good locations except I had an issue TWICE at the SC in Grand Junction Colorado.

And that Donner Pass SC in Truckee CA makes me nervous. Not well lighted and back behind a small strip mall. Someone could get you there and no one would discover your body until the next Tesla person arrives ! :eek:

I've visited about 50 SCs as well during the last year. All were in good locations except I had an issue TWICE at the SC in Grand Junction Colorado.

And that Donner Pass SC in Truckee CA makes me nervous. Not well lighted and back behind a small strip mall. Someone could get you there and no one would discover your body until the next Tesla person arrives ! :eek:
Good point on the Donner Pass SC. I was fortunate to visit that one in broad daylight so I didn't feel unsafe at all. But it is tucked back in a poorly lighted parking lot near the woods. I drove through Grand Junction once but didn't stop at the supercharger - I was able to make it to Glenwood Springs CO supercharger without stopping.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4
Was that due to the SC site location, or something unrelated to that?
Oh, good question. The Grand Junction one is at the far end of a long strip mall, and there is other traffic in the area. BUT late at night there is no one around there. The SC is lighted. In my case, I had walked over to one of the fast food places around 9:00 at night while charging. I came back and saw two teenagers (one with some sort of small iron rod) looking into the car close up. They were about 50 feet away. I yelled out "Break the window, and you ass gets shot." They ran off.

Coming back through there 10 days later, I decided to come in the day time and thought it would be better. THREE beggers hanging around asking for money. I kept going to the next supercharger.

Sorry to hear of any issues at Grand Junction. That's the main SC I need to go to in order to get most anywhere, or to get home from a trip, so I've been there MANY times -- and I've never had even a hint of problems there. It's not a strip mall, but rather "the" indoor mall in the region. It's well lit, and I've been there at all hours. I usually hang at the Starbucks inside, or the Outback if I'm hungry.

As to the main question, I've been to nearly 100 SCs over the past 15 months, and have never felt unsafe. It has occurred to me that when plugged in, you're pretty much a sitting duck: you can't leave without getting out and unplugging, and getting out might be ill advised. Can't blame anyone for wanting a gun (as one comment implied) or bear spray....

Sorry to hear of any issues at Grand Junction. That's the main SC I need to go to in order to get most anywhere, or to get home from a trip, so I've been there MANY times -- and I've never had even a hint of problems there. It's not a strip mall, but rather "the" indoor mall in the region. It's well lit, and I've been there at all hours. I usually hang at the Starbucks inside, or the Outback if I'm hungry.

As to the main question, I've been to nearly 100 SCs over the past 15 months, and have never felt unsafe. It has occurred to me that when plugged in, you're pretty much a sitting duck: you can't leave without getting out and unplugging, and getting out might be ill advised. Can't blame anyone for wanting a gun (as one comment implied) or bear spray....
Yes, right, technically an indoor mall.... in a long strip :rolleyes: Guess I used the wrong term.
Good to hear that you haven't had any issues there. That's promising. In the future I will only go there in the day since I don't know the area well. I also had an issue at the Holiday Inn not far away. That place is very poorly lighted and next to some sort of junk area where homeless folks were hanging out. You might know where I mean. Not going to stay there again. Do you have a better recommendation?

The Donner Pass SC is Truckee is well lighted with four street lamp posts plus the lights Safeway has installed on their loading bay and other lamp posts in the middle of the parking area. Safeway has security cameras on its loading bay and these also cover the SC. It is behind and to the side of the mall but there is a busy residential street just behind the SC stalls and the SC is clearly visible from the main mall entrance. It is a popular place for Safeway and mall employees to park and take a break so there are often people hanging out but they are friendlies. The Verizon store on the end is busy.
I've charged there a lot and never felt unsafe. This is Truckee, a small mountain town, not a crumbling inner city location.

• Informative
Reactions: Kant.Ing and FlyF4
The Donner Pass SC is Truckee is well lighted with four street lamp posts plus the lights Safeway has installed on their loading bay and other lamp posts in the middle of the parking area. Safeway has security cameras on its loading bay and these also cover the SC. It is behind and to the side of the mall but there is a busy residential street just behind the SC stalls and the SC is clearly visible from the main mall entrance. It is a popular place for Safeway and mall employees to park and take a break so there are often people hanging out but they are friendlies. The Verizon store on the end is busy.
I've charged there a lot and never felt unsafe. This is Truckee, a small mountain town, not a crumbling inner city location.
Agree. I've charged there numerous times (both daytime and late at night) & while a few curious people have come to talk, I've never felt unsafe. Safeway is open 24 hrs there. I usually head in, grab a cup of coffee/stretch my legs & when I return, answer questions from people stopping.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4
Two of my stops at Gila Bend, AZ had people with signs asking for money camped out by the chargers. Carls Jr is there, but they didn't seem to care, since they were by the Tesla chargers and not at their door.

IMO, Mobile AL was not so bad. I didn't feel unsafe there, and I assumed the free ride was because of the long walk to the mall, and they wanted Tesla people to come inside the mall and shop rather than camp out at their cars.

Kingman, AZ is pretty isolated. If you are a history buff, it's close to Timothy McVeigh's 'home' when he plotted the OKC Federal Court boming. Timothy McVeigh

I thought Defuniak Springs FL was the worst. It was dark, poorly lit, and there was NOTHING around if help was needed after dark.

Yes, right, technically an indoor mall.... in a long strip :rolleyes: Guess I used the wrong term.
Good to hear that you haven't had any issues there. That's promising. In the future I will only go there in the day since I don't know the area well. I also had an issue at the Holiday Inn not far away. That place is very poorly lighted and next to some sort of junk area where homeless folks were hanging out. You might know where I mean. Not going to stay there again. Do you have a better recommendation?
Made epic trip from Minnesota and visited Grand Junction during the day. We ate at the Outback and never felt unsafe. As a Minnesotan, home to the first indoor mall, I can attest the Mesa Mall to be a full-fledged major indoor mall with lots of activity. It is NOT a strip mall. Sketchy is subjective but found Lusk to be the funkiest SC we visited.

Reactions: ThisIsTrue
Lusk is a great supercharger. Has anyone found it ironic that it is in the parking lot of the Covered Wagon Motel? We found the Grand Junction location to be fine but we were there in the daytime.

I have visited 50 superchargers over the past 2 years, and I have to say that I have never really felt unsafe. If I had to pick one, I would say Kingman, AZ (visited in June, 2017). It's in the parking lot of a Carl's Jr. restaurant and there were some sketchy people wandering around while I was there. But Tesla didn't have a lot of choice as to where to locate this particular supercharger, so I don't fault them at all.

Kingman is a sketchy place in general!

This thread and hopefully resulting periodically-updated list (perhaps a wiki entry?) are a great idea.

I've been to/through hundreds of SCs in 48 states and provinces (and counting), and concur that the top 25 should include, in no particular order, Quartzsite (AZ) Defuniak Springs, and I can see how Grand Junction (CO) could be a problem - a shame since as others have noted it's a useful stop.

I was approached at Kingman as well, but it was by a very nice couple in an $80K pickup truck (it was niiiiiiiiice - Ron White voice) munching on breakfast who were just amazed that people would drive such newfangled things.

Needles (CA) was entertaining, but mostly because of the propensity for those few SC pedestals (2 of which are pretty well hidden, so there's that concern) to be completely iced by 18-wheelers. The apparent transients that hang out in front of the convenience store have not approached me there yet.

I'll chime in- Quartzsite is definitely one of the worse- All kinds of weirdos have been seen in that lot the few times we've used it. But I have a new one that I don't particularly like- Just experienced it yesterday- Joplin MO. It's at an abandoned Hotel- go figure. At least it worked.