TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

SKF Beyond Zero TV - Tesla

Discussion in 'Video' started by wart, Jun 12, 2014.

1. wart

wart Member

#1 wart, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    I ran across this on YouTube the other day. Kind of a commercial for SKF bearings but is has some interesting factory footage and info about the electric drivetrain, from a bearing-centric perspective.

2. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

What a timely thread! I was thinking just yesterday "I sure hope TMC is not using Chinese-manufactured bearings in its motors". There is nothing like a single bad ball or roller in a bearing race to cause a cascade of failures that will ruin a motor.
    I have had (should write "had had") a good amount of interaction with Aktiebolaget Svenska Kullagerfabriken (SKF to the world) in decades past. Have the highest regard for their products, and am delighted to learn they're in every Tesla.

Do you know how bearings used to be made? Specific masses of molten steel would be dropped from a shot tower into a pool of water at the bottom of the tower. The mass would achieve sphericity as it fell through the column of air. Nowadays, of course, it's the assembly line of thousands of nimble-fingered Vietnamese ladies with sandpaper..... j/k

3. hobbes

hobbes Active Member

Cool video, thanks for posting. Reassuring that Tesla uses high-quality components also where you don´t usually see them.