Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SKI and LG Chem battery fight threatening US EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The story has gone from poaching employees, accusations of stealing trade secrets, lawsuits blocking sales and supply to fill a multibillion dollar U.S. contract for VW batteries to now accusations of widespread spoliation of evidence. Among the manufacturers/vehicles here in the U.S. to be affected are VW's SUVs, GM's Bolt, Ford pickups, Jaguar's I-Pace, Audie's E-Tron and Kai's Niro.

Below is an updated Reuter's report (the original source of this news) as of this morning which added details of the ITC's investigative staff's report regarding allegations of SKI's widespread spoliation of evidence, which SKI is denying.

Feuding Korean firms risk disrupting electric car battery supplies

Last edited:
ITC ruling not until June 2020! :eek:

In all the years of discussion about whether Tesla would survive, how big their lead was over the legacy manufacturers, could it be maintained, etc, I never would have even guessed that battery supplier lawyering up might be the black swan that swoops in.

Imagine if Tesla was the only company able to procure batteries in enough quantity to really mass produce EVs for even a year or two while the Korean companies fight it out. That could turn the question of: Will Tesla ever be able to maintain share when the legacy automakers flood the market with EVs into something along the lines of: Will the legacy automakers ever be able to catch Tesla now that their chosen battery suppliers are not able to deliver.

I love it, picking up some extra popcorn to enjoy over the coming months watching this movie play out: How lawyers killed the non-Tesla electric car...

Elon is a genius, episode 347.

RT

Last edited: