Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ski Rack for the Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some infos about the ski rack from Tesla

>>

You may have noticed that the main image on www.teslamotors.com shows a Roadster fitted with a ski rack system. The system includes a luggage rack which grasps the Roadster’s rear decklid, and ski attachments. No drilling is required and installation takes about 5-10 minutes. Below is a quick FAQ to help answer customer questions.

Is this rack built and maintained by Tesla?
No, this is an aftermarket rack system.

When can I purchase a rack?
The rack will be available for purchase beginning in Spring 2011.

Where can I purchase the rack?
The luggage rack can be purchased directly from Sector 111. Sector 111 is a parts company in Los Angeles who ships nationally and internationally. http://www.sector111.com/

How do I attach my skis/snowboard?
Customers who purchase the rack will also need to purchase a ski attachment that matches the size and shape of their skis or snowboard. The picture on our website shows a Thule Universal Flat Top Ski rack Link here.

Can I purchase the rack alone and not mount skis?
Yes! The luggage rack from Sector 111 is designed to support luggage. The ski attachments are extra.

Will the rack damage my Roadster’s paint?
The rack uses rubber strips to protect the Roadster’s paint but long term or frequent use will put more wear and tear on the decklid than normal. For long term or frequent use, customers can further protect their paint by installing a Starshield-like product to the rear decklid.

roadster_ski.jpg
]

Reactions: AtAge19
Will the rack damage my Roadster’s paint?
The rack uses rubber strips to protect the Roadster’s paint but long term or frequent use will put more wear and tear on the decklid than normal. For long term or frequent use, customers can further protect their paint by installing a Starshield-like product to the rear decklid.

What up with that?!

rack.jpg

Last edited:
I just picked the rack up, haven't had the chance to fully install it. The rack can be flipped around so if you're not hauling ski's, which I don't intend to do, the rack will not damage the paint as shown in the close tolerances with the rear deck sides. I'll be using it when taking trips to the airport or any time I need to add more stuff on my trip that won't fit in the car.

The only thing I modified were these ears that attach to the end of the rear deck mount. They just flop out and are not held in place. I put some good make a gasket on these ears to secure them to the mounting trunk plate adapter. That way I won't have to fiddle with them nor will I lose them.

I think it is practical for luggage. I took my dad to the airport and luckily everything fit. He had to carry one bag in his lap. If I had the rack we could have strapped it down to the back. The rack indicates not to exceed 50 lbs. which I'm sure is to not risk damaging the rear deck lid.

Reactions: AtAge19
I have this rack from Sector 111. I have also made an option of this rack to fit my Thule bike rack. I use it for my roadbike when i am going to races. ( of course a Carbon bike with electronic gear- Orbea Orca Gold With Shimano DA Di2)

I also have a plan to make a prototype of a ski-box, like you can see on Koenigsegg and Lamorghini:)
(I think i have to make the hardtop and the box in "one piece"- design.)

Torklift Central has stealth trailer hitches for the Roadster, Model S, Leaf, Volt, Prius, etc., that makes it easy to mount a bike rack.

http://shop.tlcentral.com/Store/pc/ECO-Series-Stealth-Trailer-Hitches-c157.htm

None of these cars are designed to tow anything heavy, but for light stuff like bike racks, this makes for nice solution. The hitch is bolt-on, no holes drilled for the mounting, completely removable, and very lightweight (about 35 pounds for the Roadster and Model S).

I have no affiliation with these guys and no financial interest in the company, but I did help Matt find local Roadster and Model S owners willing to offer their cars for the design work.

Last edited:
I just picked the rack up, haven't had the chance to fully install it. The rack can be flipped around so if you're not hauling ski's, which I don't intend to do, the rack will not damage the paint as shown in the close tolerances with the rear deck sides. I'll be using it when taking trips to the airport or any time I need to add more stuff on my trip that won't fit in the car.

The only thing I modified were these ears that attach to the end of the rear deck mount. They just flop out and are not held in place. I put some good make a gasket on these ears to secure them to the mounting trunk plate adapter. That way I won't have to fiddle with them nor will I lose them.

I think it is practical for luggage. I took my dad to the airport and luckily everything fit. He had to carry one bag in his lap. If I had the rack we could have strapped it down to the back. The rack indicates not to exceed 50 lbs. which I'm sure is to not risk damaging the rear deck lid.

@wiztecy,

Still available to purchase?