Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ski/Snowboard Carrier Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

Getting ready to hit the slopes here before long and I'm trying to figure out the best way to carry my gear. Here's some options I've come up with so far, would love to hear everyones feedback.

1.) Thule Roof Box
Pros - Definitely the most space & I already own one.
Cons - Requires roof rail purchase ($650 Canadian) and will have the biggest impact on range & kills the view.
2.) Roof mounted Ski/Snowboard Rack
Pros - Marked range improvement over Thule.
Cons - Requires purchase of ski rack ($~300) & rails ($650). But probably worst of all, obstructs the beautiful sky view!
3.) Hit mounted Ski/Snowboard Rack (Yes I have the tow package)
Pro's - Not sure how this will impact range vs. option 2. Keeps that roof view unobstructed!
Cons - Requires ski rack & bike rack purchase (~$1000). But I need a bike rack anyway. Has anyone bought the Tesla Ski/Bike rack combo. Can you really get four bikes on it or do you turn into a rage monster while attempting to put a third bike on? These always seem to be out of stock at shop.tesla.com. Is there a good reason to get the Tesla one vs. some other aftermarket option?

Looking forward to everyones feedback!

Dubya

Before I got my MY, my initial plan was to get the Tesla crossbars and use the roof-mounted snowboard clamps and bike carriers I have from my last car. But since I also have the hitch, I decided to try this aftermarket hitch-mounted bike rack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AK9YMIM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_0HEEFb84R9TEV and try to find a cheaper ski attachment than the one Tesla sells. This way, even if I end up spending the same amount, I know I can use the hitch-mount setup with another car in the future, whereas the $450 MY roof rack seems to be model-specific.

I also don't like the look of the roof rack on the MY and there are some reports here of people cracking their roof while installing the cross bars. Since I only need to carry bikes or a snowboard when going on a trip, I would be removing and reinstalling the roof rails several times a year. Also, with my last SUV I used a step that hooks into the door latch to access all the roof accessories and I'm not sure about trying that step on the MY.

Reactions: caleedubya
Probably. I too have a car topper, but it’s kind of a hassle to put on/off so consistently. I ski often. The roof racks work. I have always used them, but I take them off after I ski. The Tesla roof rack is semi permanent. So, I saw this and am intrigued. Gets positive reviews mostly.

Probably. I too have a car topper, but it’s kind of a hassle to put on/off so consistently. I ski often. The roof racks work. I have always used them, but I take them off after I ski. The Tesla roof rack is semi permanent. So, I saw this and am intrigued. Gets positive reviews mostly.
You took the words right out of my mouth. If the Tesla roof rack was easier to take on and off I probably would have bought it already. Just seems like a shame obstructing that beautiful view.

I got the roof rack, and only realized afterwards that it blocks my view. D'oh! But, I would have gotten it anyway. I bought Yakima Forkchops to mount bikes, and am going to use my old Thule rooftop ski rack for skis. I also bought a Thule Trail XT rooftop cage, so I might also put the skis into ski bags and lash them onto the cage when I have other stuff I need to keep on the roof.

I added the Tesla roof rack to my new Model Y – professionally installed by the Tesla mobile service tech. Now I need to add a ski rack, but I can't find any sold explicitly for the Tesla roof rack. Some posts in this thread imply the Thule ski rack will attach to the Tesla rack, but I don't see how that is possible because the Thule rack fits only the Thule load bars, no?

What are the options for roof-top ski racks compatible with the Tesla roof rack?

I added the Tesla roof rack to my new Model Y – professionally installed by the Tesla mobile service tech. Now I need to add a ski rack, but I can't find any sold explicitly for the Tesla roof rack. Some posts in this thread imply the Thule ski rack will attach to the Tesla rack, but I don't see how that is possible because the Thule rack fits only the Thule load bars, no?

What are the options for roof-top ski racks compatible with the Tesla roof rack?
Don't the Tesla cross bars just have a T-track? That should be pretty standard.

I use Rocky Mounts ski carriers with a T-track roof setup (decided against getting the crossbars for the MY for now, so I took the whole thing off my old car and hoisted it up to the ceiling for storage). The Rocky Mounts are less expensive than Yakima or Thule and I really like how easy they are to open with gloves on. The slot mount is super easy. About the only downside is that it sits flush against the crossbar, which may give you less clearance between the car roof and the carrier than you need--be careful the first time you put an upside-down ski or board on there.

Seasucker rack mounts seem to always get good reviews. Same pro's as the roof rack except that they go on and off easily, so they do not permanently block the "sky view". Also they are pretty minimalist, so should not have as much of an impact on range as a roof box.
Website located HERE
Ski_Rack1.png

I was looking at these, but somewhat concerned about the impact on the seal around the glass roof. Since I mostly only need the racks in winter for skiing, I thought this a possible solution.

What would be best for me though is if Yakima would just produce a fit kit for the racks I already own. They have done so for the model 3, but nothing yet for Y.

I have the Tesla roof rack and went with the Yakima Fat Cat Evo 6 ski rack. It works without issue. I wanted to go with the Yakima Skybox 16 Carbonite as I figured a box would be more useful when not skiing. Unfortunately, even though Yakima says it will fit and the measurements all say that it will fit the actual roof box would not span far enough. It was about 1/2" too short. I do not know if there is variance in how these are made or if the guy at the shop just didn't know how to make it span the entire distance. If someone gets this to fit let me know and maybe I'll revisit a roof box in the future. At least the ski rack is easier to store.