Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ski Trap in Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Carl

Supporting Member
Jan 12, 2013
Belgium
I note that there's probably no ski trap in the Model 3 trunk (otherwise someone would have commented on it already, I suppose). But there is a central armrest in the back seat, so when that's in the downward position there's probably only a few cm of plastic (?) separating the center back seat from the trunk. So could using a Dremel to cut out a 30x30cm hole above the central armrest, and drilling in two hinges, do the trick? Or could you possibly even make one under the armrest, at the level of the floor?

(and why doesn't Tesla make one in the first place...)

Thoughts, anyone?

(yes I know you can put a skibox on the roof but that probably means 20% or so less range, and range is a nice thing to have on a ski trip).

Last edited:
I note that there's probably no ski trap in the Model 3 trunk (otherwise someone would have commented on it already, I suppose). But there is a central armrest in the back seat, so when that's in the downward position there's probably only a few cm of plastic (?) separating the center back seat from the trunk. So could using a Dremel to cut out a 30x30cm hole above the central armrest, and drilling in two hinges, do the trick?

(and why doesn't Tesla make it in the first place...)

Thoughts, anyone?

(yes I know you can put a skibox on the roof but that probably means 20% or so less range, and range is a nice thing to have on a ski trip).
Seems like a fairly easy and useful modification. I would probably attach a nylon or durable plastic bag to the hole to help protect the interior - my Mom's old Audi had this and it was a very nice feature.

Imo that doesn't hold true for a 2/3-1/3 fold down, as in M3 (or MS) - only works when the middle seat can be folded down. You don't want to have two kids cramped together in two thirds of the back seat for 800km or so.

Reactions: SnowFlyer
Imo that doesn't hold true for a 2/3-1/3 fold down, as in M3 (or MS) - only works when the middle seat can be folded down. You don't want to have two kids cramped together in two thirds of the back seat for 800km or so.

I agree with you. It doesn't work well with a family of 4 or at all for a family of 5. But it is fine for 1, 2, or 3 people.

I don't think we would ever fit our family of 4 in a Model 3 for a ski trip, with or without skis.

A conversion kit would be a nice option.

My 93S Saab had the ability to slide skis thru an opening in the pull down arm rest and it was extremely helpful and not just for skis.
The first winter I had my Tesla MS (in 2013) there were no SuperChargers from Belgium to the Alps, so a rented a MB E-Class for my ski vacation (that was the only time, a year later there were more than enough SuperChargers to allow me to take the Tesla). I remember that as an interesting experience because the MBE has more or less the same back cargo space as the Tesla Model 3 (around 500 liters), but it did have a ski trap as well. And that was actually sufficient cargo space for a ski trip, with two adults and two kids. So a Model 3 should work as well, especially given that there's also a frunk - but it still would need a ski trap, for me.
We had a saying in our manufacturing business, "given enough time and money, anything can be done."
I'm just about the clumsiest person on earth (according to my wife at least) but even I could probably do the work in an hour or so, if it is at all possible/useful !!! So that's what we need to know :)

I'm glad you guys are having a conversation about this. I was very surprised not to see a ski bag/trap above the rear arm rest in Model 3. I had them in 2 different Audi models I owned and it was a great thing to have. The Audis had a heavy waterproof plastic bag that unrolled onto the arm rest which held the skis and kept the interior clean and stopped the skis from flying into the dash in case of an accident. I just saw a Model 3 at the Palo Alto store and the salesperson there said to have roof rack on this car that you need to have the sunroof option, which by the way is pretty pricey. I'm hoping someone from Tesla sees this thread and adds this (under $30) feature. For now however, we'll have to come up with our own mods :)

The problem is that at this point in time, an EV drivetrain is expensive (and there is little competition). So, they cut things to keep the price “reasonable“ and maintain profit.

Everyone has their own idea of what only one $50 item (or 50 pound item, weight matters too) is super important, but they can’t all be added.

As EV components come down in price they will add more features. Hope they add the ones you want first :)

Reactions: skitown
I note that there's probably no ski trap in the Model 3 trunk
(otherwise someone would have commented on it already, I suppose).

But there is a central armrest in the back seat, so when that's in the downward position
there's probably only a few cm of plastic (?) separating the center back seat from the trunk.

So could using a Dremel to cut out a 30x30cm hole above the central armrest,
and drilling in two hinges, do the trick
?
Or could you possibly even make one under the armrest, at the level of the floor?

I imagine that you could make a clean cut and use Velcro to put back the center piece when not carrying skies.
There are bags specially designed to hold skies and boots such as those ($45) Athletico bags combo.

81VnGdgOIHL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
These guys just figured out map pockets for seats and doors,
so I think a ski bag is a little too innovative at this time. Maybe on the Model Z.
Everyone has their own idea of what only one $50 item is super important, but they can’t all be added.
As EV components come down in price they will add more features.
Hope they add the ones you want first
What about a front passenger pass through allowing you to lie down on the back of your Model 3,
in a similar way to the 2002 Hyundai Equus (= Horse) ?
2002 Hyundai Equus - Pass through legs   .jpg

2002 Hyundai Equus - Pass through legs       .jpg

I note that there's probably no ski trap in the Model 3 trunk
(otherwise someone would have commented on it already, I suppose).
But there is a central armrest in the back seat, so when that's in the downward position
there's probably only a few cm of plastic (?) separating the center back seat from the trunk.

So could using a Dremel to cut out a 30x30cm hole above the central armrest,
and drilling in two hinges, do the trick?

Or could you possibly even make one under the armrest, at the level of the floor?

The Chevrolet SS has a large arm rest with two cup holders, which can be use as a pass through:

Chevy SS Sky Passthrough 1 .jpg

Except that then there is no separation with whatever will be rolling around in the trunk!!!!

Chevy SS Sky Passthrough 2 .jpg

Seems like a fairly easy and useful modification. I would probably attach a nylon or durable plastic bag to the hole to help protect the interior - my Mom's old Audi had this and it was a very nice feature.

There is a metal plate/frame behind the armrest that extends across the back of the 2/3 seat, so this is not easily doable.