Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ski Trip Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to take my Model S up to Kirkwood Ski Resort this winter. I'm driving from San Diego, and it looks pretty straight forward using superchargers. Once the Manteca SC is open, they literally line my entire route, so I don't have to go out of my way at all.

Taking into account the elevation loss of 10 miles per 1000ft, I should arrive with about 70 miles of range (The resort is 111 miles from Manteca and I'm assuming 80 miles elevation loss). Parking is underground, but there does not seem to be any outlets available and I will be staying for a week.

How many miles will be lost per day just parked in the cold? I'm assuming I'll have 5.6 software, since my delivery date is 11/27, so vampire lose should be reduced. However, I'm not sure how much extra the cold effects things. I know it gets down to at least freezing in the parking garage, because there are patches of ice down there sometimes.

I've contacted the resort to see if there could make an outlet available some where, so I could move the car every few days to get a couple hours 120v charge. Would that be enough? Any tips on convincing them to provide access to an outlet? I've already said I would pay full cost of electricity plus extra, because I know the power is super expensive up there. They claim to be an environmentally friendly resort, so hopefully they can do something for EVs.

I thought about driving to the one (?!?) charger available in South Lake Tahoe, but it's a 40 miles drive, so the 80 mile round trip would mean I'd have to charge for 4 hours just to break even, assuming the charger is working and available. That seems to risky.

Any and all cold weather advice is most welcome.

Did you ever make the Kirkwood trip? I plan on doing the same with my X

Did you ever make the Kirkwood trip? I plan on doing the same with my X
Yes, I've done it several times now.

The Manteca SuperCharger really helps since I'm coming from San Diego, and going through Folsom added quite a bit of time the first time we did the trip.

I've heard Kirkwood is adding HPWC Destination chargers, so that will be really convenient in the future.

Reactions: K-MTG