Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

skid plate attachment to car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, part of my front "cardboard" skidplate hit something and tore off, got a new skid plate coming from aluminum, however looks like
I am missing a fastener left front, what does tesla have there that I need to replace. Looking at diagrams it's an M10 nut, but how does it stay in place
to screw in a new replacement bolt.

So, part of my front "cardboard" skidplate hit something and tore off, got a new skid plate coming from aluminum, however looks like
I am missing a fastener left front, what does tesla have there that I need to replace. Looking at diagrams it's an M10 nut, but how does it stay in place
to screw in a new replacement bolt.
Can you take a pic of that part where the screw needs to attach to? I would think a speed nut should work, unless a piece of your car (not the skidplate) actually broke off

Per the Tesla shop manual, the aero shield metric bolts are to be re-installed with purple Loctite 545. There are no lockwashers on the bolts, so they will loosen with road vibration if not secured with the recommended Loctite.

Since you're replacing the factory shields with aluminum aftermarket shields, you can consider using metric steel lock washers with factory bolts instead.

Per the Tesla shop manual, the aero shield metric bolts are to be re-installed with purple Loctite 545. There are no lockwashers on the bolts, so they will loosen with road vibration if not secured with the recommended Loctite.

Since you're replacing the factory shields with aluminum aftermarket shields, you can consider using metric steel lock washers with factory bolts instead.
can you give me a link to the service manual?

can you give me a link to the service manual?

Here's a screenshot. It says re-install bolts with Loctite 222. The 222 product is also purple, so I think the Loctite 545 number is the same product, but different size bottle. The bolt torque is only 5 Nm, which is just a bit more than finger tight.

1FrontAeroCover.JPG

2RearAeroCover.JPG

Reactions: mintytoo