Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Skid plate justification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone replaced the skid plates on their M3? If so, what brand did you go with and are you happy with the results?
Tesla actually makes a hard plastic replacement for the front skid plate. I was told at the service center that for the M3 they still only have the fiberboard one for the rear.

I had them install the front one and I ordered an aluminum one from Amazon for the rear and will put that on this Friday.

Reactions: SteelClouds
Protecting that battery coolant line should have been a priority for Tesla when they designed the M3. I don't think that there would have been any fiberboard shields under the car if there were a few former tank designers on the Model 3 design team.

image.png.e96d0050f590533d099a333a18e06104.png

Tesla actually makes a hard plastic replacement for the front skid plate.
Unless prices have changed, when I bought my set of metal plates, it was cheaper than getting the plastic one from Tesla and I could not find one used for anything near a reasonable price.. that was about 10 months ago so maybe things are better now for sourcing the plastic one

Reactions: android04
There are 1/8" thick aluminum front plates on ebay for under $200.
I've been thinking of getting a Tesla for years and in our household my vehicle tends to be the roadtripper. Just seems like the thing that can make a difference when you least expect it.
Make sure to get the ones with the urethane on the inside surface. Makes a nice difference in road noise for the front plate.. not so much for the rear.
I put my plates on myself.. rented a lift and it took about 15 mins a plate. Took the M3 out a month later for a road trip to AZ and the first night, hit a large black "thing".. I think it might have been part of a retread truck tire.. anyways.. never saw it with it being black and a blacktop road.. hit at 75mph and a large BANG.. left a nice smear on the front plate. If it had been that stupid fiber cover, it would have been a different conversation.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Took the M3 out a month later for a road trip to AZ and the first night, hit a large black "thing".. I think it might have been part of a retread truck tire.. anyways.. never saw it with it being black and a blacktop road..

Yep, those road alligators are sneaky critters. A friend encountered one kicked up by another vehicle; almost made it through his windshield. Other than a glass particle shower, he was OK.

So this happened the other day while driving in the rain, i couldn't dodge a rock the size of a cantaloupe and all i heard was a thunk and grinding for 3 seconds. Came home and did an inspection afraid its something really bad but the aluminum skid plate took most of the force, my battery has scratches but no punctures. It was pretty hard cause the plate is dented in but it did its job! i'm gonna get a new one after this for sure. I feel that if i had my stock one on, most likely it would of hit the motor or the coolant lines to the battery.

Attachments

• IMG_0207.jpeg
    IMG_0207.jpeg
    722.7 KB · Views: 187
So this happened the other day while driving in the rain, i couldn't dodge a rock the size of a cantaloupe and all i heard was a thunk and grinding for 3 seconds. Came home and did an inspection afraid its something really bad but the aluminum skid plate took most of the force, my battery has scratches but no punctures. It was pretty hard cause the plate is dented in but it did its job! i'm gonna get a new one after this for sure. I feel that if i had my stock one on, most likely it would of hit the motor or the coolant lines to the battery.
That plate did what it was designed for! I wouldn't replace it though. I'd keep using it. If I wanted to take some of the gouge out, I would use a hammer to straighten it out. Would be a good opportunity to also paint it black if you wanted to.

My skid plate didn’t come with the 2 T40 barrel nuts to replace the 2 15mm nuts on the front plate, anyone have any idea the thread size or link possibly to order 2 barrel nuts?
Just take one of the bolts that is supposed to screw into the barrel nuts to a local hardware store like an ACE Hardware and look for a barrel nut that works. Make sure the barrel nut is 2x as long as the threaded part of the bolt that goes into it (probably 1" long overall).

Last week I finally picked up a couple of rhino ramps, and got around to putting on my aluminum skid plate. I knew the one that comes built-in on the car wasn't much—but damn! It's like the top on a plastic storage tub! No fkn way it would protect anything under there. It's purely for airflow.

I put sound deadening materials (one layer of butyl and one layer of closed cell foam) on the new aluminum plate, and mounted in with some fresh loc-tite on the hardware. It's much heavier but it's worth every ounce.

I definitely feel like there's less noise coming from the forward floor, but I never measured or anything. The additional protection isn't even in question.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Rmchrger and KenC