Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Skid plate justification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week I finally picked up a couple of rhino ramps, and got around to putting on my aluminum skid plate. I knew the one that comes built-in on the car wasn't much—but damn! It's like the top on a plastic storage tub! No fkn way it would protect anything under there. It's purely for airflow.

I put sound deadening materials (one layer of butyl and one layer of closed cell foam) on the new aluminum plate, and mounted in with some fresh loc-tite on the hardware. It's much heavier but it's worth every ounce.

I definitely feel like there's less noise coming from the forward floor, but I never measured or anything. The additional protection isn't even in question.
Nice what plate did you end up getting?

Newer Teslas come with thick plastic skid plates replacing the old fiberboard ones, and these are pretty durable.
I did get the alu skid plates and keep them in storage, I do seasonal wheel/tire swaps on QuickJack
lifts and ispect, any sign of damage and I am installing the aluminium ones.

Any loud bangs under car while driving should prompt stop and check underbody, coolant leaks worrisome but battery
pack piercings can become lethal fires.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Newer Teslas come with thick plastic skid plates replacing the old fiberboard ones, and these are pretty durable.
I did get the alu skid plates and keep them in storage, I do seasonal wheel/tire swaps on QuickJack

Any loud bangs under car while driving should prompt stop and check underbody, coolant leaks worrisome but battery
These are the same plates I installed on my 2018 M3LR. I am considering the installation of the metal plates to protect the coolant lines located directly behind the fiber fender liners on both sides. Has anyone installed these? Which ones did you purchase? Opinions?

These are the same plates I installed on my 2018 M3LR. I am considering the installation of the metal plates to protect the coolant lines located directly behind the fiber fender liners on both sides. Has anyone installed these? Which ones did you purchase? Opinions?
i personally went with either mpp or hps as its thick aluminum, the amazon ones are thin so i don't really trust it.

Reactions: android04
My evannex one showed up yesterday and I installed it today. It was missing the hardware but I still made it work. It was a little on the expensive side. But it’s really well made. It was about $480cad after taxes shipping and duties.

Pic of my old one that got smashed when it was -30c out and I hit a frozen block of ice on the road. I zip tied and duct taped the old one back together lol. Don’t mind the paint peeling on my unplugged lip. It’s actually holding up very well from hitting nearly everyday through the winter

Attachments

• B0BF22B3-EB2F-46E3-9EBD-9D39A05B857F.jpeg
    B0BF22B3-EB2F-46E3-9EBD-9D39A05B857F.jpeg
    543.1 KB · Views: 157
  • 182D306C-D801-40C1-AF4E-4F994DE1C4E9.jpeg
    182D306C-D801-40C1-AF4E-4F994DE1C4E9.jpeg
    768.5 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: MrFusion4

These are currently showing as unavailable right now on Amazon.

Anyone have good experience/reviews for recently purchased skid plate sets? Seems like there are a lot of brands and options out there so just checking to see what we have for links to good sets.

I'm saying, my fiberboard covers were destroyed by a chunk of ice on a road trip. Why would I replace them with more Fiberboard when Aluminum is basically the same price?

For the record, I had undertray destroyed and replaced once, when a valet bumped the nose of the car 3 years ago (long story).
The replacement cost were:
  • Front Aero undertray (part # 1104312-00-B) : $165.00
  • Lower Valance ASM, front fascia (part # 1084174-00-D) : $130.00
For reference, MPP aluminum skid plate is $295 - $325 + $39.95 shipping.
I don't know if it replaces one, or both, of the above Tesla parts:

Has anyone replaced the skid plates on their M3? If so, what brand did you go with and are you happy with the results?
I should be able to confirm soon enough - my wife took apart the shield by going through a construction zone in the rain. How exactly? Don't ask, don't tell.
I've ordered MPP part to add some durability to the under-nose jigsaw puzzle of plastic and fiberglass pieces.
Will report on fit and finish shortly.