Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Skii Rack Suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the Yakima fatcat evo 6 and surprisingly have only noticed >10% efficiency hit. When it's windy or travelling at higher speeds, the impact seems to be higher but I was surprised that it wasn't more. There's a little more general wind noise but no whistling or anything bad at all.

Reactions: Gaige and Wulf0123
I have the Yakima fatcat evo 6 and surprisingly have only noticed >10% efficiency hit. When it's windy or travelling at higher speeds, the impact seems to be higher but I was surprised that it wasn't more. There's a little more general wind noise but no whistling or anything bad at all.
I have this rack from my old car but haven't seen any Thule racks discussed here. Starting with this since I already own it. Have you, or do you know anyone who has had experience with this rack on a MYLR?

I had an old Thule ski rack and switched to the Yakima Fatcat Evo 6. It's more efficient / looks better IMO.

I believe similar 10-15% efficiency loss related to the racks on. I vaguely remember the few experiences with the Thule racks being slightly more.

I like the way the Thule products function more ( more rigid open and close.. speedlink was great).. but have no big complaints with the Yakima Fatcat

We also use the Yakima Fatcat EVO 6 on our Model 3 and I agree the range hit isn't too bad.

For the Model Y, I'm leaning towards not getting the roof rack but rather using the hitch. Anyone know the difference in range hit compared to a roof rack and EVO 6? Assume 3 pairs of skis.

Ski rack? I just fold the middle seat down and carry them in the car. Haven't purchased Tesla rack yet...
I agree, and this is my preferred method of hitting the slopes. Just the range savings alone makes it worth it. Other times, I have four people, a dog, and a massive amount of winter/ski clothing to fit them all. The 4 sets of ski boots alone take up a massive amount of space. Sometimes, a rack is just necessary.

I agree, and this is my preferred method of hitting the slopes. Just the range savings alone makes it worth it. Other times, I have four people, a dog, and a massive amount of winter/ski clothing to fit them all. The 4 sets of ski boots alone take up a massive amount of space. Sometimes, a rack is just necessary.
Usually it's just a couple folks so it's manageable. Let me know what you end up doing. I have a rocket box I used on my Outback but wonder about the range hit

If you have a rear hitch, you could try something like this. I suspect it doesn’t impact milage in the same way a roof mount might. However, my biggest concerns would be how the skis might get beaten up with road debris.

I have no experience with these, but worth a look. Tyger Auto

Attachments

• 1637091227321.jpeg
    1637091227321.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 96
If you have a rear hitch, you could try something like this. I suspect it doesn’t impact milage in the same way a roof mount might. However, my biggest concerns would be how the skis might get beaten up with road debris.

I have no experience with these, but worth a look. Tyger Auto
I have a hitch rack and carry my fat bike a bunch in the winter and your concern regarding road debris/salt/moisture is well founded. I have to wash the bike off virtually every time I have temps above freezing. I can't really say if the bikes on the rack impact range much as I haven't really conducted a replicable test. It doesn't seem to impact range much in the relatively short drives I've done?

I have a hitch rack and carry my fat bike a bunch in the winter and your concern regarding road debris/salt/moisture is well founded. I have to wash the bike off virtually every time I have temps above freezing. I can't really say if the bikes on the rack impact range much as I haven't really conducted a replicable test. It doesn't seem to impact range much in the relatively short drives I've done?
I used to have an ecohitch on a prior Model S, and can tell you for sure that there was a definite range hit with bikes. I don't think I ever put skis on it. My guess is that a hitch rack would be better than a roof rack.

Here is my solution. This was solo with two pairs of skis, but could still have a third seat in the back and add more skis, maybe 6 pairs on the right. I have a rack and a pod but have not used the pod very much because there is a lot of room in the back of the Y.
Extra bonus is that you can plug in your boot heater in the back 12V plug and arrive with dry and toasty boots.
The Y in the background had a hitch mount that should not impact range very much but be careful because he said it had wobbled around some and hit the lip of the trunk leaving a small dent.
MY Trunk - Ski Locker.jpg