Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Skipping chargers with Navigation system - is it possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going on a 2700 mile road trip (1350 miles each way) this Saturday. This will be my first road trip with the MY and we are planning on having 3 longer stops to have breakfast, lunch and dinner in a sit down Restaurant. Therefore, we are planning on charging the car at those 3 stops to close to 100% to be able to skip chargers and have longer trip legs.
Now, if I use the navigation system to plan the route, it will suggest much more stops that we want to make.. Of course, I could just ignore a stop and keep going but it will cost me range as the BMS will heat up the battery to charge at a charger that I'm not going to use as I want to skip it to get to another one. Is there a way to tell the navigation system that I want to make it to another charger instead of the one that the NAV is suggesting? A co-worker who also has a MY suggested to only use the trip planner option once I'm like 20 mins from my charging stop so that the BMS can heat the battery? The longest leg of the trip is 227 miles which I think that I can make on a 100% charge if I'm driving at 75 mph with the AC off... I would slow down if needed to make that leg of the trip..

Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
I think you can use the Tesla Navigation system the way you want if you navigate to each Supercharger as if it is your final destination. Just make a list of the SC you want to use for the trip. It may be helpful to enter the SC locations as favorite locations on your phone (Apple Maps, Google Maps etc.) Then just send the destination for the next SC from your phone to the Tesla, the destination shows up on the Navigation screen in the vehicle. Watch out for SC idling fees; If the SC available charging stalls are more than 50% utilized then idling charges apply once your Tesla vehicle has completed charging.

Enter a destination on your phone's map app, save as a Favorite Destination. Select the Favorite or Recent Destination; scroll down and select Share. Scroll until you see the red Tesla logo and select. Your destination will be sent to your Tesla vehicle. The next time you enter the Tesla vehicle the destination will already be loaded into the Tesla Navigation system. (Just the destination coordinates or address, not the specific route.) If you have addresses saved in your Contacts you can also share the address with the Tesla vehicle from Contacts.

On another note -- if the SC is heavily used -- it will only let you charge to 80%
Already ran across that a couple of times in my last 1000 miles of travel.
In nearly all situations this is merely a 'suggestion' that changes the setting - most times you can simply reset back to your preferred charging level, in the regular way and you can charge to that level without further warnings.

I think you can use the Tesla Navigation system the way you want if you navigate to each Supercharger as if it is your final destination. Just make a list of the SC you want to use for the trip. It may be helpful to enter the SC locations as favorite locations on your phone (Apple Maps, Google Maps etc.) Then just send the destination for the next SC from your phone to the Tesla, the destination shows up on the Navigation screen in the vehicle. Watch out for SC idling fees; If the SC available charging stalls are more than 50% utilized then idling charges apply once your Tesla vehicle has completed charging.
I tried that and it adds another stop at another Supercharger.. I'm in Lakeland and my current state of charge is 66% and rated range is 218 miles.
Lake City Supercharger is 160 miles away. At moderate speed, I can make it to that Supercharger easily. However, the Navigation will add another stop before the Lake City charger and I can't remove it.. Same thing if I send the Supercharger via Google Maps.. It will add the stop that I won't need..

Well, you can just skip it; meaning don't enter the route into the Tesla Navigation system. Use your phone and your preferred phone mapping/navigation app. The Tesla screen would display your current location but would not show the route. Reset Trip A at the start of the trip so you can track your miles and total energy consumption while driving. The Energy screen would not be able to show your projected versus actual Wh/mi on the route.

I'm going on a 2700 mile road trip (1350 miles each way) this Saturday. This will be my first road trip with the MY and we are planning on having 3 longer stops to have breakfast, lunch and dinner in a sit down Restaurant. Therefore, we are planning on charging the car at those 3 stops to close to 100% to be able to skip chargers and have longer trip legs.
Now, if I use the navigation system to plan the route, it will suggest much more stops that we want to make.. Of course, I could just ignore a stop and keep going but it will cost me range as the BMS will heat up the battery to charge at a charger that I'm not going to use as I want to skip it to get to another one. Is there a way to tell the navigation system that I want to make it to another charger instead of the one that the NAV is suggesting? A co-worker who also has a MY suggested to only use the trip planner option once I'm like 20 mins from my charging stop so that the BMS can heat the battery? The longest leg of the trip is 227 miles which I think that I can make on a 100% charge if I'm driving at 75 mph with the AC off... I would slow down if needed to make that leg of the trip..
Florida in July...A/C off...? Yikes.:oops: Have a great trip though. ;) Maybe better to make a short extra stop to take on a partial charge.

Model S owner here- so YMMV- but When planning a trip I pretty much know where I'm going to stop from the Abetterrouteplanner.com or EVtripplanner.com info- and when I get into the car instead of navigating to the final destination, I navigate to the next supercharger- and I do that by selecting the supercharger list under the lightning bolt on the map (on an S lower right corner of the map) - that will bring up a list of "nearby" superchargers, then I just select the one I want to go to, and the nav takes us there, If you have a high enough SOC (again in my experience in the S) it won't have you stop at an intermediate superchager, and even if it does, just keep driving past that supercharger and eventually the nav will update to the one you are trying to get to. Obviously you have to have enough SOC to make it to the one you are trying to reach in the first place. Again, Model S owner, so may be different on 3 and Y's .

Most of all- enjoy the trip and have fun. These are the best road trip cars

Well, you can just skip it; meaning don't enter the route into the Tesla Navigation system. Use your phone and your preferred phone mapping/navigation app. The Tesla screen would display your current location but would not show the route. Reset Trip A at the start of the trip so you can track your miles and total energy consumption while driving. The Energy screen would not be able to show your projected versus actual Wh/mi on the route.
I can just turn off the option to include superchargers on the route and once I passed the last Supercharger pror to the one I want to stop at, I will turn that option back on. Kind of a pain in the butt. They should just allow you to set parameters like in ABRP where you can opt to have longer stops and larger trip legs. Hopefully in future updates..

Florida in July...A/C off...? Yikes.:oops: Have a great trip though. ;) Maybe better to make a short extra stop to take on a partial charge.
I will leave 4 or 5 am.. temps in the 70's at that time.. Want to drive until 11 am with the AC off.. At 11 it's probably in the low 80's.. I commute to work with the AC off at 6 am... If it gets too hot, I turn on the AC..

Reactions: GeezerSquid
I will leave 4 or 5 am.. temps in the 70's at that time.. Want to drive until 11 am with the AC off.. At 11 it's probably in the low 80's.. I commute to work with the AC off at 6 am... If it gets too hot, I turn on the AC..

oh you Flordians! Have a safe trip and let us know how it worked out.

I don't think I've ever driven with the windows down on the MY since October of last year. Habit I picked up from my Prii (one was a prime). It's just too loud and not efficient to drive with the windows down at Highway speeds.

oh you Flordians! Have a safe trip and let us know how it worked out.

I don't think I've ever driven with the windows down on the MY since October of last year. Habit I picked up from my Prii (one was a prime). It's just too loud and not efficient to drive with the windows down at Highway speeds.

Yup, anything above about 45 mph you are more efficient with AC than with windows down in a modern car. The more aerodynamic the car the more this is true, resulting in that transition speed going down over time. It used to be that windows down was better than using AC up into the 60+ mph range, but now the transition is below 50 mph.

Keith

I do the same thing from time to time. I dial into navigation the Supercharger that I want to use. The system will automatically reflect something like, "charge here for 25 minutes; charge at Z for 20 minutes; arrive at Q with 15%."

Once the SOC is high enough, say 50+%, I'll dial into my preferred destination again. Now, the screen might say, "you can resume your trip, but charge at Z for 15 minutes."

There is an option on the navigation to "remove all charging stops." Once you depress that option, your screen might reflect a minus 12% or even dashed lines. Don't worry about it. By the time you are 60% or so, you will see a tiny minus amount or a small surplus; red if arrival is <7%; yellow if <20%. Determine your comfort level taking into consideration your driving habits, weather, and other external factors like a short side trip if need be.

The prediction for charge upon arrival considers your past driving habits. I typically drive at or slightly beneath the speed limit. On my last road trip an example would show that I would reach my next stop with, say 18%. Thirty seconds into the leg, it springs up to 21% because I don't drive in the same fashion that the program assumes before engaging my history.

One final suggestion: You can always start a longer leg driving a tad conservatively, and keep your eye on the trip chart. If you see that you will have extra charge, by all means speed up! On the other hand, if your arrival percentage begins to decline, you can determine whether to maintain your current speed or slow down further.

Reactions: JimBob 909
Yup, anything above about 45 mph you are more efficient with AC than with windows down in a modern car. The more aerodynamic the car the more this is true, resulting in that transition speed going down over time. It used to be that windows down was better than using AC up into the 60+ mph range, but now the transition is below 50 mph.

Keith
It depends on how wide you open the windows. At high speeds with all windows down, it would be very uncomfortable.. If you just have them like 5 inches open, just in front, it won't consume as much as the AC.. I tested it. My AC consumption was always clearly higher.. I did the same trip at the same speed (70 mph) twice in similar conditions.. WIth the AC off and front windows about 6 inches down, I got 244 wh/mile.. I tried the same exact route again with the AC on and I got over 280 Wh/mile

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
It depends on how wide you open the windows. At high speeds with all windows down, it would be very uncomfortable.. If you just have them like 5 inches open, just in front, it won't consume as much as the AC.. I tested it. My AC consumption was always clearly higher.. I did the same trip at the same speed (70 mph) twice in similar conditions.. WIth the AC off and front windows about 6 inches down, I got 244 wh/mile.. I tried the same exact route again with the AC on and I got over 280 Wh/mile
Never seen ac to cause this high consumption on my S or 3. And we live in GA and traveled to FL and NJ during summer months.

• Funny
Reactions: Saxgod