Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Skipping chargers with Navigation system - is it possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never seen ac to cause this high consumption on my S or 3. And we live in GA and traveled to FL and NJ during summer months.
When I'm connected to a 32 amp charger and I turn on the AC while charging, the remaining time on the charge goes to like 24 hours, meaning that the AC pulls a solid 6 kw!!! Of course, once temperature is reached, it will consume less but the glass roof is responsible for a lot of interior heating.. Just touch the roof while you are driving in 95 degrees in the early afternoon.. You can't even touch it.. it's so hot.. Of course, that heat does radiate into the interior.

I doubt the AC would pull that much for long. We have an EV Ford that shows the actual energy consumption of the AC/heat. It was made 7 years ago so likely less efficient than our MY. It will pull a max of about 3-4 kw and only until it cools down the car. Heating can pull 5 kw at first.

Once at steady state 72F with recirculating on, here in Jacksonville it is typically pulling about 300-400 watts. Even in Las Vegas, when it was 110F out, once cooled it only pulled about 400-500 watts. So I would bet the MY is FAR better than that car.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I happened to sit in my Model Y this morning for ~35 minutes while charging @ 6kW. I estimate that ~1kW was being used to power the Tesla with the AC running. The cabin temperature was set to 71F. This was in an underground level of a public garage, not in the sun. The ambient temperature was 84F.

I'm going on a 2700 mile road trip (1350 miles each way) this Saturday. This will be my first road trip with the MY and we are planning on having 3 longer stops to have breakfast, lunch and dinner in a sit down Restaurant. Therefore, we are planning on charging the car at those 3 stops to close to 100% to be able to skip chargers and have longer trip legs.
Now, if I use the navigation system to plan the route, it will suggest much more stops that we want to make.. Of course, I could just ignore a stop and keep going but it will cost me range as the BMS will heat up the battery to charge at a charger that I'm not going to use as I want to skip it to get to another one. Is there a way to tell the navigation system that I want to make it to another charger instead of the one that the NAV is suggesting? A co-worker who also has a MY suggested to only use the trip planner option once I'm like 20 mins from my charging stop so that the BMS can heat the battery? The longest leg of the trip is 227 miles which I think that I can make on a 100% charge if I'm driving at 75 mph with the AC off... I would slow down if needed to make that leg of the trip..

The best thing to do is NOT to let the nav system take you all the way in one long run with SC stops. Just figure out where you want to charge, and then set that SC as the final destination. You might also want to look at A Better Route Planner aka ABRP (web site and phone app), which can do this kind of route planning for you. Many people (myself included) use this so you can plan the route in advance, but then use the built-in nav to drive you from point to point.

Reactions: Ciaopec and WhiteWi
MS owner here with 175000 miles of ev driving. As far as I know the charging profile of all the vehicle is roughly the same. From low state of charge to around 50% is pretty quick. I may charge above that especially during a planned food break (abetterrouteplanner.com) helps or if I absolutely need the extra energy to make the next charger. Someone once suggested figuring the next charger distance and add a 50 mile safety margin; it has always worked for me. You get to drive the way you want to but I have never turned off the A/C to gain range; heat in the MS is another story. You have the advantage there with the heat pump.
The nav system and abetterrouteplanner are tools but you get to decide how you want to execute the plan. Relax, enjoy the trip. A civilized way to travel!

Reactions: Sans-gas
Never seen ac to cause this high consumption on my S or 3. And we live in GA and traveled to FL and NJ during summer months.
I just drove 1350 miles with the AC on. Day 1 was virtually all cloudy, rainy and not very hot.
On our last trip leg yesterday, we had 97F and sunny. During the first 1100 miles with moderate temps, clouds and a lot of rain, we averaged 299 Wh/mile. The last 250 miles in the sun and heat, we averaged 350 Wh/mile.. Same speed (80 mph) and flat.. Only difference was weather.. AC was on all the time.. Wasn't able to drive without AC when we started the trip as it was raining and windows fogged up.... so AC for the entire trip.

I just drove 1350 miles with the AC on. Day 1 was virtually all cloudy, rainy and not very hot.
On our last trip leg yesterday, we had 97F and sunny. During the first 1100 miles with moderate temps, clouds and a lot of rain, we averaged 299 Wh/mile. The last 250 miles in the sun and heat, we averaged 350 Wh/mile.. Same speed (80 mph) and flat.. Only difference was weather.. AC was on all the time.. Wasn't able to drive without AC when we started the trip as it was raining and windows fogged up.... so AC for the entire trip.

Did you have a full blackout sun shade, partial sun shade, or no sun shade on this trip?

thanks,

Keith

Did you have a full blackout sun shade, partial sun shade, or no sun shade on this trip?

thanks,

Keith
Until we arrived in Victoria, I drove with no shade at all because it was cloudy and rainy and not too hot. It was very hot and sunny on our leg from Victoria to McAllen, so, I used the full blackout on that leg.. I also have a windshield blackout when the car is parked. Temps here in South Texas are around 100F...

I tried that and it adds another stop at another Supercharger.. I'm in Lakeland and my current state of charge is 66% and rated range is 218 miles.
Lake City Supercharger is 160 miles away. At moderate speed, I can make it to that Supercharger easily. However, the Navigation will add another stop before the Lake City charger and I can't remove it.. Same thing if I send the Supercharger via Google Maps.. It will add the stop that I won't need..
Usually when traveling I charger hop. Navigation will show me say 3 chargers away so I click cancel on my destination. Then click the charger you want to go to and use navigation. When I’m at my last charger I will bring up my destination address. In your instance if you have the range to make it past a charger to the next one, then select that second one and let it navigate. If it is still trying to make you stop at the charger in between then the car believes it can’t make it to the next charger without a top up. In my experience if it doesn’t think it can make it at normal speeds/driving, then it most likely won’t. Just make sure you have charging locations showing on your map in the car.

I just returned from our first real road trip (2K miles r/t) and used ABRP to familiarize myself with routes and charging locations. The car will build a route and that's it, I was hoping ABRP would provide Turn by Turn directions and allow the route to be customized like Apple of Google maps, but it does not.

So as a workaround I entered ALL the possible SC'ers along my route before I departed so I could tweak the built-in route as needed, which worked best for us. I added a few Tesla Destination Chargers as well after looking at Plug Share as alternate fuel stops. That's the USAF in me.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
I'm going on a 2700 mile road trip (1350 miles each way) this Saturday. This will be my first road trip with the MY and we are planning on having 3 longer stops to have breakfast, lunch and dinner in a sit down Restaurant. Therefore, we are planning on charging the car at those 3 stops to close to 100% to be able to skip chargers and have longer trip legs.
Now, if I use the navigation system to plan the route, it will suggest much more stops that we want to make.. Of course, I could just ignore a stop and keep going but it will cost me range as the BMS will heat up the battery to charge at a charger that I'm not going to use as I want to skip it to get to another one. Is there a way to tell the navigation system that I want to make it to another charger instead of the one that the NAV is suggesting? A co-worker who also has a MY suggested to only use the trip planner option once I'm like 20 mins from my charging stop so that the BMS can heat the battery? The longest leg of the trip is 227 miles which I think that I can make on a 100% charge if I'm driving at 75 mph with the AC off... I would slow down if needed to make that leg of the trip..

The way I've handled this is cancelling the route, and then having the car plan the route again. If it can skip a charger it will - or at least it has for me mostly reliably. Then I just charge until it successfully plans a route with the appropriate chargers selected.

I don't know for sure that I've seen it automatically replan a route based on excessive charge without being told to. I find this to be a problem with the nav, and could use a lot of attention. Along with multi-point planning, it could/should do what Google does and supply multiple route options. And do what ABRP does an allow the user to specify a long stop destination prior to arriving there.

I purchased overhead sun screens for my M3 for a planned trip to So-cal. They reduce heat driving in summer sun. I haven’t calculated the difference in WH to maintain temp inside. I think it’s significant, especially in hot regions. They’re simple to install and quick to removed and store. It’s worth a try if you wanting to not use your AC much.