Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Skipping Delivery 2nd Time - Will Tesla Cancel my order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I order Model Y in Aug. Got assigned a VIN end of Oct and scheduled delivery on Nov 12. Then I realized Biden’s BBB could get me $8k EV credit should it pass, so I skipped delivery and took the VIN off of my order.

My 2nd delivery date in the system was showing as Jan 14-Feb 10, as of yesterday (12/19) morning. I got an email last night that I have been assigned a VIN, and I need to take delivery between 12/20-12/24, WTH!!!?

I would like to get the delivery next year with a hope that BBB somehow comes back to life and Biden is able to convince Manchin. Setting politics aside, I still would like delivery in Jan.

My dealership gave me two options
  1. Take delivery by 12/24, as they can’t delay delivery until Jan 1st, OR
  2. Take the VIN off again and “hope” that Tesla doesn’t cancel my order.
    • They said that there is a 90% chance that I will be put back in the queue, but also a “10% chance” that Tesla will auto-cancel my order and keep my deposit.
I am prefer Option #2, as I still would like to be eligible for EV credits should BBB pass next year. But, I don’t want Tesla to cancel my order, as the current price of Model Y has gone up $5k since I ordered. Anybody experienced an auto cancellation? Should I be worried, or is Tesla nice enough to not cancel?

This specific subforum is littered with people who have been canceled so yes you should be worried about them canceling. Thats what you should expect, actually.

(there are more, if you just look for the word "cancel" in this subforum.

Reactions: gvme
Upvote 0
I am pretty sure they will cancel your order. Didn't you get an email from Tesla titled 'Your Upcoming Model Y Order Cancellation' saying something like this ?
If your order remains on hold on December 9, 2021, or is placed on hold again, we will assume that you no longer wish to purchase a vehicle. Your order will automatically be canceled and your order fee forfeited.​

Upvote 0
Depends if you want to gamble or not, you win some, you lose some. I would say just get the car when you need the car.

I would say after a 2nd time declining a VIN, you have a good chance at getting it cancelled.

MY-LR, Blue with Black & White, Gemini wheels. Michigan State Delivery

Ordered Jun 29 - $56,000 locked price
EDD Sep 01 - Sep 30
09/05 recieved call from local SA to prepare for delivery, then requested to Hold till Jan 1
09/06 order on Hold
10/07 received cancellation email indicating must select "I'm Ready" by 12/02.
12/01 released hold by selecting "I'm Ready"
12/03 EDD Jan 8 - Feb 8 (So planned for vacation for Dec last 2 weeks)
12/10 VIN(343xxx) assigned EDD Dec 19 - Dec 25
12/11 called my Local SA to hold until Jan 1 as I am out of town between 12/13 - 01/01/2022.
12/13 back to hold
12/14 new VIN assigned (342xxx) EDD Dec 19 - Dec 25
12/15 again called my Local SA to hold until Jan 1 as I am out of town for between 12/13 - 01/01/2022 (Holiday Vacation and never expected that car will be avaliable in this time frame)
12/16 back to hold. SA told me that he will take care about cancellation.
12/17 Order disappeared from account after 7 PM (I checked at 6:30 PM EST and the order is still on hold). their is no communication from local SA nor no email from ordersupport
12/18 called local SA (no answer) and sent email to order support team but the answer is no, they cannot do anything for cancelled orders

Upvote 0
Second vin assignment is the kiss of death. I don't think you will make it past this once again but keep us posted if you try gambling again.
Also this has nothing to do with Tesla being nice to keep putting order on hold. Too many dreamers have ordered cars they cant afford and need the BBB tax credit to get the price down. This has a real hassle for Tesla to distribute cars to customers in different parts of the country. Unfortunately, this has caused Tesla to send the cancelation emails to everyone on hold and make things difficult for serious buyers that want the car but delivery timing will not work for another reason other than trying to get the tax credit which may never ever pass.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I order Model Y in Aug. Got assigned a VIN end of Oct and scheduled delivery on Nov 12. Then I realized Biden’s BBB could get me $8k EV credit should it pass, so I skipped delivery and took the VIN off of my order.

My 2nd delivery date in the system was showing as Jan 14-Feb 10, as of yesterday (12/19) morning. I got an email last night that I have been assigned a VIN, and I need to take delivery between 12/20-12/24, WTH!!!?

I would like to get the delivery next year with a hope that BBB somehow comes back to life and Biden is able to convince Manchin. Setting politics aside, I still would like delivery in Jan.

• They said that there is a 90% chance that I will be put back in the queue, but also a “10% chance” that Tesla will auto-cancel my order and keep my deposit.
I am prefer Option #2, as I still would like to be eligible for EV credits should BBB pass next year. But, I don’t want Tesla to cancel my order, as the current price of Model Y has gone up $5k since I ordered. Anybody experienced an auto cancellation? Should I be worried, or is Tesla nice enough to not cancel?
I ordered My MY LR (White, black interior, '20in tires) end of July 2021 - In San Diego, CA this is my second Tesla (own 2018 M3) and my exp delivery date is Jan. 1 through Jan.29th - how is it possible that you had such a quick turn around for a VIN? I just find this very hard to believe.

Upvote 0

any update?

Upvote 0
Probably a a MYP
And he's probably a victim of his own shenanigans. He probably moved up so fast because so many people in front of him are pulling the same stunt. I hope he did the right thing and just took delivery.

A lot of the holds--not the ones trying to manipulate the system but the legitimate ones--could be eliminated if Tesla had a little bit more flexibility in their delivery policy. Especially this time of the year there are going to be tons of people legitimately on vacation, and maybe even with an EDD at the end of Jan or something so they're legitimately planning ahead and trying to do the right thing. And then all of a sudden because of stunts like this they find themselves with a VIN and a pickup in two days and they're stuck.

But if Tesla could have some sort of extension to the 3-day delivery window then a lot of the requests for holds could be eliminated. Car is on the way and you're given your three-day window. If you just can't make that work have an option for them to 'store' it somewhere for, say, $25/day or something, whatever long term parking is in Location X. Something like that would solve a lot of the problems I think.

Or, go on hold and when you come off you go all the way to back of the line, do not pass go, do not collect $200. That feels like a big punishment now, and it is, but in six months or so when Austin is cranking it'll probably get back down below 2 months, and eventually even less.

Upvote 0

A lot of people on this forum wish they could have their August ordered MY delivered in Dec. Many many are still waiting.

Reactions: GasGuzzler
Upvote 0