Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Skipping OTA Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
I have a little OTA fatigue. In part it is due to general software dev that proceeds along the lines of two steps forward and one step backward, but most specifically I'm ready to find a version that has vampire losses under control and stick with that for a while until a future stable version comes out with nice improvements that does not worsen vampire losses again. I also find that the updates take a fair drain of energy, on the order of 0.5 kWh and sometimes more.

Which brings me to my question: are updates necessarily sequential ? By that I mean will skipped updates be applied first when I choose a future version ?

Hard to say. I like to believe that updates are offered to specific cars that require a particular update. Some are skipped (I guess because they either don't pertain or there was a problem found with the update, so you get bumped forward.)

Doubt you are missing something if you get update 10.1, but not 10.2, and then 10.3 appears for you. (Made up numbers)

Hopefully, you are skipped if an update is for a problem with M3 Performance and you don't have one. There may be something in there that will apply to your model, but it is most likely also included in a future update.

I have a little OTA fatigue. In part it is due to general software dev that proceeds along the lines of two steps forward and one step backward, but most specifically I'm ready to find a version that has vampire losses under control and stick with that for a while until a future stable version comes out with nice improvements that does not worsen vampire losses again. I also find that the updates take a fair drain of energy, on the order of 0.5 kWh and sometimes more.

Which brings me to my question: are updates necessarily sequential ? By that I mean will skipped updates be applied first when I choose a future version ?
No, they are not sequential. When you skip an update, it's notification will be replaced with the newer version once your car is notified of a new version for it. There is no need to install older versions in order.

• Helpful
Reactions: SageBrush