Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Skipping Software upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since owning my 19 X LR, I have always updated to the latest software version when it becomes available to my X. However, I witness significant amounts of complains about 28.5 (in particular, key fob not detected); and therefore plan to skip 28.5 until the next update becomes available. While my Tesla app is still showing 28.5 is the latest available to my X, will my Tesla app ever show the newer version and allow me to upgrade to the newer version without the need of installing 28.5?

Ever since owning my 19 X LR, I have always updated to the latest software version when it becomes available to my X. However, I witness significant amounts of complains about 28.5 (in particular, key fob not detected); and therefore plan to skip 28.5 until the next update becomes available. While my Tesla app is still showing 28.5 is the latest available to my X, will my Tesla app ever show the newer version and allow me to upgrade to the newer version without the need of installing 28.5?

Probably not. But 28.5 is fine. I would not hesitate to install it.

Reactions: mswlogo
except this is where the issue occurs as is widely reported (also happened on my car).

That said I also heard of it happening on 2020.24.x releases too so it might be just a game of chance.

to the original question, you can start update and then press brakes and it should abort. Whenever you get a new version scheduled or the same one is unknown though.

to the original question, you can start update and then press brakes and it should abort. Whenever you get a new version scheduled or the same one is unknown though.

I did not see that in your original question. But if you don't want it, then don't install it. I have had 28.5 on my X for about a week. 28.6 just come to my 3 today. Both are fine.

But if you don't want it, then don't install it
of course it's easier said than done. Car (and app) nag you all the time to install, block the view of the screen when you get in and so on. So there is still some value in actually declining to install a firmware (that Tesla does not offer any real way to perform)

I have had 28.5 on my X for about a week. 28.6 just come to my 3 today. Both are fine.

Saying the software version is fine because it works for you isn't exactly helpful, especially when there are widespread reports of it causing issues for other people. Software bugs don't always appear for all users. It'd be like saying COVID is a hoax because you personally haven't been affected, despite hundreds of thousands dying from it...

Saying the software version is fine because it works for you isn't exactly helpful, especially when there are widespread reports of it causing issues for other people. Software bugs don't always appear for all users. It'd be like saying COVID is a hoax because you personally haven't been affected, despite hundreds of thousands dying from it...
But maybe a LITTLE helpful. The more people who chimed in and said they haven’t experienced serious issues with it, the more comfortable the OP might be to go ahead and install. You’d be hard pressed to find ANY software version that ever rolled out without a bug or two.

Reactions: 07e92
But maybe a LITTLE helpful. The more people who chimed in and said they haven’t experienced serious issues with it, the more comfortable the OP might be to go ahead and install. You’d be hard pressed to find ANY software version that ever rolled out without a bug or two.

Fair enough, if they had posted "the software works fine for me" and left it at that I would not have any issue. But they confidently claimed that it "is fine" and "would not hesitate to install it" which is bad advice IMO, considering the numerous reports of bugs in this version.

Reactions: KentuckyX
except this is where the issue occurs as is widely reported (also happened on my car).

That said I also heard of it happening on 2020.24.x releases too so it might be just a game of chance.

I'm having it on 2020.24.6.11. But then I've also had it happen on 2019.x, 2018.x, and 2017.x versions... Or maybe there is more to the issue than the fob sometimes not detecting even though it's in the vehicle?