Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Skylight install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the design phase for a Solar Roof. Tesla doc says "skylight replacements are added to the project cost". Has anyone had a new skylight installed as part of the project, rather than a replacement? Wondering if they are open to this or if I should have one installed now and ask them to redesign the mapping of the solar tiles. I've asked but it seems they are super busy to respond. Curious if anyone here has had this experience.

I didn't install a skylight, but I did replace a ~8" bathroom vent with a 10" Solatube. I figured it would make more sense to have that install coordinated with the Solar Roof (mine is a v2) install rather than to install on the old roof then immediately change things, but in the end that was a nightmare. Getting Tesla to coordinate with the Solatube installer was like herding cats, and when I finally got them to recommend a date for the Solatube installers to come out, Tesla decided to stay away that day, leaving the Solatube installers completely on their own and unable to do anything on the roof so they could only do half the install and left Tesla fumbling with the rest later. I also wasn't thrilled with how they handled the extra vent that had to be added to replace the old vent, even after talking to them many times about it, sending them specs of both of the roof penetrations, etc.

Personally, I'd suggest doing the skylight first on the old roof, based on my experience. It might still be a challenge to get them to recognize the change and update the drawings to match if they've already done them, good luck with that.

Personally, I'd suggest doing the skylight first on the old roof

I second this suggestion. I don't have any skylights, but I do remember the site review tech commenting that it was good not to have to worry about them. The roof installers spend a lot of time custom cutting metal flashing around all roof obstructions. Although I don't have skylights, I do have a number of pipes that the installers said were a PITA to deal with.

Was there an opportunity to identify old vents that are no longer functional and remove

I don't remember an official part of the process like that. It seems like a good idea to remove anything that isn't needed since that will simplify the install, reduce leak opportunities, and maybe increase "ideal space" for PV tiles. I'd talk with a project advisor early on to try and get any removal information passed along to the design team. I suppose it could be brought up on the pre-install review, but earlier is better.