Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker Any Song only worked in the beginning [Confirmed - pending resolution]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not following. As usual.
When does Slacker stop working?
I'm on 4.4, had car for 2 1/2 months and it still works for me. Or are we on different pages?
Just like I heard complaints that fog lights stopped working but they work find for me in 4.4

So let me ask these questions, as I can't clearly ascertain the answers from the previous posts:

If I do sign up for a Premium Slacker subscription (the $10/mo option), and set the MS to use my account,
- What features of the premium will work in the car, which won't?
- Will playlists be accessible in any way?
- Will I be able to do unlimited skips?
- Will stations I create on the PC/Mac be available in the MS and vice versa?
- Will "any song" work like it should? (Even if I have to select from a list on the screen)

Thanks. I pay $10 a month to Spotify as it is. I can easily switch to Slacker if the answer to all or at least most of the above are positive.

Ha, I think I just got called a bitch. 'eh, so be it.
I'll still update you that I have since had confirmation from Tesla that the car indeed does NOT offer Slacker Premium features including an expanded list of songs that are available on demand (even if pay for a Premium account). They say that they hope to upgrade that capability in the future. If you care about this lack of functionality (again, including a significant increase in the songs you can call up directly), you might let Tesla know as customer feedback is part of how they prioritize.

I don't have a premium account, I don't want a premium account, I don't care about premium accounts. This thread is talking about how the Tesla provided account works and has zero to do with your issue.

Ha, I think I just got called a bitch. 'eh, so be it.
I'll still update you that I have since had confirmation from Tesla that the car indeed does NOT offer Slacker Premium features including an expanded list of songs that are available on demand (even if pay for a Premium account). They say that they hope to upgrade that capability in the future. If you care about this lack of functionality (again, including a significant increase in the songs you can call up directly), you might let Tesla know as customer feedback is part of how they prioritize.

LOL, sorry SigGuy. I wasn't trying to say you two were bitches at all, just that a brouhaha ensued and it was a bit unpleasant to have to read through it. But there was information in there so it's all good.
Can't we all just get along? :biggrin:

@sp4rk: I was in the same boat as you, driving along getting everything that came with the car from day one just smiling and driving, and suddenly, it doesn't work the way it used to anymore. If there's some thing in the agreements that say "trial period" or "for a limited time only" it wouldn't have bothered me at all, but losing it suddenly with no real solution to get it working the way it was before is frustrating. If you use Slacker radio to search specific songs you want to hear frequently, I would say get ready for it to suddenly stop working for you sometime in the near future too.

@dflye: I think I had the same frame of mind as you before I actually used Slacker on the fly. What happens is that I entertain often (go out), and having the ability to play songs of my passengers preference has been extremely fun and gratifying for everyone involved. I'm 42 but have always hung out with the 20's crowd since all of my peers of the same age have grown up (married with kids, don't go out much anymore) and I get exposure to the playlists they want to hear. I often find I like it and go back to the recently played list and play them.

This has to do with licensing.

I have a station called "Life is a Highway Radio". When I hit it -- EVERY TIME -- Life is a Highway will play first. In fact, even if Life is a Highway is playing when I shut the car off, when I come back and restart it, it will finish up and then will play it AGAIN.

The same goes for a station based on Bon Jovi/Jennifer Nettles "Who Says You Can't Go Home", and Steve Miller's "Jet Airliner".

However, no matter how much I want it to deliver the song first, it will not do so for "We Like to Party" and "Thrift Shop", among others. In the case of "Thrift Shop" I have to hit FF 20 times or more. Even the Slacker app on my phone won't call it up right away, and gives a licensing error message accordingly.

(Yes, I have a very varied music list. :) )

This has to do with licensing.

I have a station called "Life is a Highway Radio". When I hit it -- EVERY TIME -- Life is a Highway will play first. In fact, even if Life is a Highway is playing when I shut the car off, when I come back and restart it, it will finish up and then will play it AGAIN.

The same goes for a station based on Bon Jovi/Jennifer Nettles "Who Says You Can't Go Home", and Steve Miller's "Jet Airliner".

However, no matter how much I want it to deliver the song first, it will not do so for "We Like to Party" and "Thrift Shop", among others. In the case of "Thrift Shop" I have to hit FF 20 times or more. Even the Slacker app on my phone won't call it up right away, and gives a licensing error message accordingly.

(Yes, I have a very varied music list. :) )

So this JUST started happening with Slacker, NOT our Model S?

Back to the original topic, I've confirmed that "So much for any song, any time" is accurate. Spoke to Ownership who provided my Slacker ID and pwd. Logged into Slacker site and noticed I have Slacker Radio Plus until 5/29/13. Slacker Radio Plus does NOT include the "Play Songs on Demand" feature (Slacker Premium does). Can't seem to find any documentation from Tesla that we had Slacker Premium (or even that we had any sort of trial of Slacker) so I wonder if something changed recently.

Seriously, Elon shouldn't have shown off this feature to Bloomberg and talked it up so much as he did in this video without clarifying that it was temporary or on a trial basis.

My 4 y.o. daughter thoroughly enjoyed making song requests and singing along to her favorites. Elon touted this feature on TV and us owners got used to it. Someone dropped the ball here by not emphasizing the temporary aspect of this feature to Model S owners.

If you feel the same way, I suggest you contact Ownership at 877-798-3752 x4. If enough people point this out, I wonder if something will be done.

So much for any song, any time

Mine stopped playing the actual requested song over the weekend. This is very annoying, particularly after Elon touted it on CNBC. My kids loved it and it was great for demoing the car.

Just called OE but landed in voicemail...

So this JUST started happening with Slacker, NOT our Model S?

This happens with Slacker on my cellphone as well. In fact, my cellphone gives me a cryptic "license" message before it goes to an alternate song.

Note - it DOES work for some artists, presumably where Slacker has big license contracts. Those three I mentioned still reliably play the right song, every single time. But others do not.

Something changed with Slacker. Period. Tesla needs to know about this and raise some hell with Slacker. Elon touted this feature as one of the neat tech features of the car. Now Slacker just went and made him a liar. We all should be calling into the Ownership team to express our displeasure at having this feature disappear.

Spoke to Ownership. They are aware of the issue via numerous reports from other Model S owners. They suspect it may be something that changed with the Slacker Radio Plus subscriptions. Didn't get the warm and fuzzy that it would be fixed any time soon though since it was on the Slacker side and not Tesla. Opened a case and hope to hear back on the eventual solution.

Suggest others do the same...

The Tesla always had Slacker Plus and was not compatible with Premium. This was confirmed for me both by Slacker and by Tesla. The greater oddity is that it ever played any songs on demand as this is not a feature of Plus. It's like Tesla had some weird hybrid Slacker functionality-- Better than Plus but not nearly Premium. Having a premium account didn't make it any better. It almost sounds like Slacker woke up that they were giving too much to the Tesla/Plus accounts and turned it off. I have a premium account plugged into the car and I still have that hybrid functionality-- I can play some songs on demand as always. But still lacking most Premium functions. So the Tesla/Slacker experience needs to go forward (Premium functionality is what Elon has displayed and bragged about going all the way back to the Freemont event in October of '11) but instead it has gone backwards. Tesla, by their reaction, doesn't seem to consider this to be much of an issue.

So that's what the heck happened! I tried this the other night while demoing the car...Needless to say...egg on my face as the wrong song played, despite my prior embellishments. Thanks for bringing this issue to the forefront. We need some kind of resolution on Slacker. Too much confusion in the air, even at the highest levels within Tesla!