TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Slacker "Artist Channels"

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by wayner, Aug 7, 2015.

1. wayner

wayner Active Member

Does anyone have any insight into how Slacker works when you search for an artist and then select that artist to create a channel?

Slacker then plays songs that are by that artist and other songs that are similar to that artist. I would have thought that it would play all songs by that artist but it seems to me that it only includes a handful of songs before repeating. For example, I have created a Rolling Stones channel. Slacker must have hundreds of Rolling Stones songs in its licensed catalog. But after a couple of hours I start getting repeats of songs that I have already heard. So it seems that they only use a very small subset of music by an artist when you are listening to an Artist channel.

2. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

Licensing?

I was shocked when "The Beatles Radio" stopped after a few days and said it had run out of selections. Just stopped cold after a song.

That hasn't happened before or since, even with more obscure "Ricardo Villalobos Radio."

3. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

I'm confused by and not too impressed with how these channels work. As a huge Rush fan, I selected Rush Radio. It plans a handful of Rush songs off of the same couple of albums. As for other artists, Slacker must assume Rush only existed from 1978-1981, because all of the songs it picks are from that time frame, and most of them range from bad to terrible. Come on, the band's been recording and touring almost non-stop for forty years.

4. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

We are all using freebie account, which is limited. May have something to do with it. Hope someone with premium slacker account chimes in so we can see if that improves. I don't use artist channels on any service.... The predictive algorithms for similar artists usually quite a reach.

5. wayner

wayner Active Member

I don't know if you meant the non-Rush artists when referring to 78-81 but my Rush channel does play songs from a bit of a wider time frame as I am pretty sure that it occasionally play Working Man which was from their first album. Since I own a Red P85D Red Barchetta is my car's "theme song".

- - - Updated - - -

I did sign up for a Premium account soon after I got my car but I didn't notice much difference in these artist channels so I cancelled it.

6. iadbound

iadbound Member

Slacker is also convinced that Rush fans have a deep abiding attachment to, among others, Kansas, ELO & Boston. Grrrr.

7. tomas

They don't?

8. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Some of my channels will do the same. It seems to be a combination of licensing issues plus their "similar songs" affinity engine. Put in "weird al yankovic" and you'll get a song from Weird Al, then a bunch of stand-up comedy routines. I would expect to get Weird Al, maybe mixed with Cledus T. Judd, Dr. Demento, etc.

9. tomas

I'm kind of spooked to hear what y'all are listening to!:wink:

10. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

I feel more like the gleaming alloy air car...

11. grantgro

grantgro Member

I upgraded to the premium account and when you pull up an artist station it plays all songs by that artist now rather than songs by similar artists. Well worth the upgrade in my opinion

12. wayner

wayner Active Member

But do you find the library of songs for the artists to be extensive or somewhat limited to just a few albums worth of songs for each artist?

13. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

I am a HUGE Rush fan to but have never tried the Rush station as I have 20 albums on my USB drive, even Feedback!

14. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

Feedback -- it shows off their range pretty well. These songs are anything but Rush style yet they are some of the best covers I have heard.

15. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

When you create a channel on the web interface with a premium account, you can specifiy whether or not to include other artists. This is the main reason I bought the premium. It has a rather extensive collection of Rush songs, although it tends to feature better known tracks when the channel first comes up. If you listen to it for a while, you will hear most of their catalog represented.

16. grantgro

grantgro Member

You can adjust in the settings to play only popular songs or a wider variety

17. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

I was curious...
    Slacker Radio Plus -- (this is what Tesla provides us, right?) -- $3.99 / Month
    Slacker Premium -- (thinking about it) -- $9.99 / Month

I'm currently playing with Amazon Prime Music, which offers to download tons of content to your Phone but of course is subject to Bluetooth fidelity. I actually haven't gotten off my lazy posterior to Rip any CDs to FLAC and try that upper-end of quality.

My listening ranges from Scruggs to Skrillex, and JS Bach to Blue Man Group, not to mention spoken material from Gabriel Iglesias to TED Talks... So I enjoy when Slacker suggests artists that I am not yet familiar with!

18. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

The Tesla offering is not exactly Plus, but pretty close.

19. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

The account itself is a Plus account, but the Tesla app does some different stuff. If you use the credentials on their web page, you'll get all the plus features.

20. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

Actually, Tesla's implementation is slightly better than the standard Plus in some limited cases. For instance, you can't select a specific song with Plus, but Tesla does it (most of the time). With Premium, its pretty easy to set up specific albums or build custom playlists as well as the artist-only channels discussed upthread.