Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker being replaced with Spotify

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is fact or fiction, but I found this post in the Model 3 forum....

I sincerely hope it's true! Anyone here have any insight?

I'll just leave this here

source: Owner on Facebook claims he got his 3 back from service and Slacker was replaced with Spotify?! (Texas) Software 36.2. : teslamotors

Seriously, what is going on here??? Is Tesla switching over to Spotify, or is this a hoax???

It would be REALLY GREAT if they did replace Slacker (great name!) for Spotify. The paid subscription to Spotify is really good. Sound quality is excellent, being able to play full albums and create your own playlists is great.

Can someone please provide more info about this?

I see a lot of complaints about Slacker, and how fantastic Spotify is. It would seem this is solely because Spotify is in Europe, and must be better, or people just need to complain about something.

I tested both services. Spotify quality was inconsistent. Some of the music streams were so low in quality that I didn't want to listen.

You don't have to take my word for it. Sign up for the trial subscription to Spotify and test them yourself.

I would certainly like to be able to upgrade to the premium Slacker service, or even have Tesla follow through with it's own music service. I haven't heard anything recently about that.

Reactions: Peteybabes
I see a lot of complaints about Slacker, and how fantastic Spotify is. It would seem this is solely because Spotify is in Europe, and must be better, or people just need to complain about something.

I tested both services. Spotify quality was inconsistent. Some of the music streams were so low in quality that I didn't want to listen.

You don't have to take my word for it. Sign up for the trial subscription to Spotify and test them yourself.

I would certainly like to be able to upgrade to the premium Slacker service, or even have Tesla follow through with it's own music service. I haven't heard anything recently about that.

True about music quality with an unpaid subscription. However looks like with the lack of advertisement, Tesla is paying for us to have a subscription (although maybe not top tier) for Slacker. That said a paid Spotify subscription sounds great, equivalent with Slacker.

In terms of music selection, search ability, available music, playlist customization and most importantly curated playlists that help you discover new songs, slacker doesn’t even come close to spotify. If you look at the pricing tier on Slackers website, even at $10 month for premium the best you get is radio. No ability to search and play individual albums or songs. With Spotify you get it all plus being able to listen to music like you own it (download playlists, as well as albums). Slacker is more like pandora and less like spotify.

If I could get Spotify in our x, I would be willing to continue paying the bill for Spotify premium.

I think most people would just like the choice to have Spotify as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bogobec
I decided to try a premium subscription of Slacker. For $10/month you are able to play most (not all) songs on demand, create playlists, and download content to devices like mobile phones for offline listening.

I signed out of the Tesla Slacker account in my MX, and signed in with my personal new Premium account. All of the playlists I created on the Slacker app on my iphone loaded right onto the Tesla Slacker interface! The playlists played really well, but they still took time to buffer, and I still got the dreaded Loading Error message when the signal wasn’t strong.

I don’t believe there is any way of downloading content to the Tesla for offline listening. That would be great, but I haven’t figured out a way to do it yet.

Looks like I will be cancelling my Premium Spotify account and sticking with Slacker for now.