TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Slacker coma after an AT&T dead zone.

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by PhilBa, Aug 26, 2014.

1. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

#1 PhilBa, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    This may be a new problem with firmware 5.12 but I thought to post it here since the 5.12 thread is getting pretty long.

Basically this happens when you select something to play in slacker when there is no connectivity. The symptom is that slacker just sits there doing nothing - no spinning buffering thingy, no music, no nuttin. I believe that if you just leave it playing as you drive through an AT&T dead zone, it seems to handle an outage ok. at least it did for me. I saw it once a couple of weeks ago and then saw it again yesterday. I was able to reliably repro it several times (lots of mountain driving). To restore, I found the following sequence works. The reboot is definitely required. [EDIT] reboot alone did NOT fix the problem[/EDIT]

By the way, tesla roadside support is aware of this problem and talked me through the solution the first time.

So, to be explicit. If slacker is in a coma:
    1. Wait until you have a reliable signal
    2. At the console go into Controls/Settings/Apps/Media Player
    3. Press Logout button
    4. Reboot console
    5. It should return to the same screen, otherwise repeat #2
    6. Press the Restore button under Tesla Account (or enter your premium account credentials)
    7. Press Login button

Personally, I don't recommend doing the above sequence while driving but it doesn't cause any problems other than a brief blanking of the instrument screen.

It would sure be nice if slacker was fixed so we don't have to resort to this voodoo. I have a couple of neighbors that are either buying or thinking of buying an MS and none of them are going to be happy with this sort of thing.

2. bryenz

bryenz Member

Yes! I have seen this also. However I've been able to fix mine with only a screen reboot, no logout/login.

I saw. 5.14 thread ... this started for me with 5.12 so hopefully this is fixed?

3. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

Yes I had this happen on a recent trip to Kamloops, driving down Summit Drive going to the north shore. I tried everything to get it to run. Noticed the app was saying CAPTCHA required.

SC managed to get it back up and running and updated me to have 5.12 (1.64.26), I was already on 5.12 too so maybe a minor update.

4. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

With our mountainous terrain, I suspect us westerners will see it a lot more than others.

5. Bound466

Bound466 Member

I had the same Slacker "coma" symptom, but that happened about a year ago. So it was happening pre-5.12. Definitely a reboot was required.

6. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

It seems like there are two separate (though perhaps related) problems. One only requires a reboot, the other requires a logout, reboot, login cycle.

7. bryenz

bryenz Member

Ugh. Hopefully I don't wind up with the logout/login one.

8. tliving

tliving Member

On 5.9 I had issues where driving through poor AT&T zones (east coast) playing slacker locked up not only slacker but the GPS/main screen. Each time a 17" reboot fixed things. Havent had 5.12 too long so cant say if it happens on that version yet.

9. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

Has been happening to me more lately - twice today Slacker got hung up and I had to reboot. And the reboots take longer than they used to, more like a double reboot. Least excellent.

10. bradc

bradc Member

Had this happen after a trip to Canada where there is no connectivity for US-purchased vehicles. A simple reboot of the main screen fixed it - no need to fool around with logging out and restoring account.

11. Joe

Joe Member

Same problem here after 5.12. Also seems to happen during wifi-3g switch if you are trying to select something at that time (I guess the same problem, just a different manifestation).