Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker connection problem with v5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you noticed your Slacker connection dropping out more often since the v5.8 update? I have. I traced it to the new Energy Saving feature (also known as Sleep mode). If you turn off Energy Saving (found under Controls : Displays), your uninterrupted Slacker connection will return.

Hopefully, this issue will go away in a future update.

Yes Todd, I've noticed it too. Haven't played with the sleep setting though. I never made the connection. I'll try it tomorrow. I'm starting to get 5.8itis, or 5.8 phobia. I've felt almost since I got it that 5.8 is a "quirky" update. The air suspension issue notwithstanding, I'm sure it wont go down in MS history as the most popular update.

Have you noticed your Slacker connection dropping out more often since the v5.8 update? I have. I traced it to the new Energy Saving feature (also known as Sleep mode). If you turn off Energy Saving (found under Controls : Displays), your uninterrupted Slacker connection will return.

Hopefully, this issue will go away in a future update.
Yes, I thought I was just imagining it. But I really never had a problem at all before. I'll try turning off energy saving mode, thanks... I'll also report it to Ownership.

Have you noticed your Slacker connection dropping out more often since the v5.8 update?

Not with 5.8 specifically, but ever since I've had the car, and across several software updates I find Slacker eventually starts to skip and cut out. I re-boot the 17" screen and it all comes back to normal. I may get 2 or three weeks and then have to re-boot. I do use Slacker pretty much all the time.

Plug.... can you tell me how to get Car Talk on Tune In, I love that show!

EA,

I found it scrolling through the "Talk" category, I believe, on Tune In. It might also be under an NPR category. I added it to my favorites list, so haven't had to look for it in quite a while. Again, though, it's frustrating because it always drops the show about half-way through. It does the same for This American Life.

I noticed the problem as well soon after the update. I then signed in under my own Slacker + account, and there were no longer any lag/connection issues. Placebo, maybe, but odd how much of a difference it seemed to have made.

I have noticed the increase in dropouts on both cars, never at home on wifi. Also tried turning off energy saving, still same dropouts. Little circle going round and round and no music...

edit - did notice something odd just a few days ago, music title would come up then go away after few seconds, then next music title, etc. still no music while doing it

Just curious... were you by any chance at home and connected via WIFI at the time?

In the time that has passed since my last post, indeed, slaker is just as slow for me as before. I have tethered to multiple wifi locations and yes, this probably had something to do with my initial assertion. Oh well, hopefully this is fixed in the next update, as it is quite an annoyance

Slacker has dropped since I received my are 3 months ago. TuneIn likewise drops. I've been through 5.0 5.6 and 5.8 with no noticeable change. I have the Energy saving feature turned off and still have drop outs.
Some drops are forgivable in that I am driving through areas with poor cell coverage, but it seems they can happen anywhere. I tried using my phone's data and still had the experience. Not sure what to make of it if it's not a signal strength problem.

I thought the Slacker dropouts were fixed by turning off energy saving mode, but maybe it was just a coincidence. Today I had more dropouts than ever with energy saving mode off. Seems like the wheel was spinning almost as much as Slacker was working. I'm on the newest 5.8 release, build .25, just flashed at the service center yesterday when I had a problem of the key fob intermittently not being recognized in the car.