Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker domain expired?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Safe to say that many, if not all Tesla owners are experiencing the same issue with Slacker right now.

I was able to play the song that it left off with last night (after midnight). Unfortunately, once that song ended this morning I received the standard "Loading Error". Later I started the car again and it said it can't log in.

Sometime last week I was also logged out, however I was able to get back in without a problem.

After a year of ownership, I'm used to these issues by now - fortunately/unfortunately.

Registered to Slacker Inc. Expires 4/27/2019
7C13AD63-9A23-47C4-8816-1B9A135B6DAF.png
Looks like it did expire.

| ICANN WHOIS

Talk about falling asleep at the wheel.

It is up now
Only seems to work over LTE. Not on Wifi.
I tested it on our Model 3 and It worked.
Of course it is over LTE since WiFi isn’t enabled on Model 3s yet. Our Model S was on WiFi and still couldn’t login.
I backed out of the garage - it’ switched to LTE and slacker immediately started playing. Went for a little spin, and returned to my garage. It connected back to Wi-Fi & I got a loading error. Tried Tunein Streaming and it works fine over WiFi. Hmm?

Of course it is over LTE since WiFi isn’t enabled on Model 3s yet. Our Model S was on WiFi and still couldn’t login.
I backed out of the garage - it’ switched to LTE and slacker immediately started playing. Went for a little spin, and returned to my garage. It connected back to Wi-Fi & I got a loading error. Tried Tunein Streaming and it works fine over WiFi. Hmm?
It can take a while for DNS to propagate now that they renewed their registration. According to their twitter, they were in IT hell and still bringing systems back up. I wonder if there were other issues or they just didn’t want to admit to making a $30 mistake that took their whole company down for 1-2 days.

When your whole business model depends on the internet, letting your domain expire is an amateur move.

Soooo..... if the domain is/was down, how did they get notification that it was down, because the contact was an email address at the same domain. :D (Yes, I saw a phone number.. but, good grief, what a failure... put these things on your calendar, IT people!!)

You also usually get a notice that it's about to expire. Unless the whole company is a couple of people.... who knows.

What do you use for your home DNS? I long since changed mine to OpenDNS, but anything that isn't the default of your ISP will help prevent a lot of issues from crappy DNS setups by your ISP! (Comcast is notorious for bad DNS; I have FiOS, but it's still a good idea to change it if you are all tech savvy.)

I bet this would have had your wifi updated to the new Slacker cert a lot quicker!

What do you use for your home DNS? I long since changed mine to OpenDNS, but anything that isn't the default of your ISP will help prevent a lot of issues from crappy DNS setups by your ISP! (Comcast is notorious for bad DNS; I have FiOS, but it's still a good idea to change it if you are all tech savvy.)

I bet this would have had your wifi updated to the new Slacker cert a lot quicker!
Frontier Fios here. Everything works this morning. Either, it resolved itself by propagating the DNS or possibly from the daily recycling of my router ~3am.
Router cycles off momentarily daily with Tech Restarter which works great. It’s been a real lifesaver, especially keeping my home automation remote devices online when I’m out of town. (Nest, Ring, Eccobee, ADT & MyQ gateways)
Tech Restarter Digital Outlet Timer - Keep Your Devices Running Like New With this Tech Digital Outlet Timer, 2 Outlets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C66X6GU?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Frontier Fios here. Everything works this morning. Either, it resolved itself by propagating the DNS or possibly from the daily recycling of my router ~3am.
Router cycles off momentarily daily with Tech Restarter which works great. It’s been a real lifesaver, especially keeping my home automation remote devices online when I’m out of town. (Nest, Ring, Eccobee, ADT & MyQ gateways)
Tech Restarter Digital Outlet Timer - Keep Your Devices Running Like New With this Tech Digital Outlet Timer, 2 Outlets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C66X6GU?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
Oh, sure, it will get the right DNS eventually. But the number of 'ISP outages' that are purely their DNS is messing up are too high to believe. And all you need to do is change your router to point elsewhere. A periodic hardware restart is another good idea (not connected, before someone gets the wrong idea!) with the quality of the routers they give us!