Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker downgraded to free slacker?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I contacted Slacker and suggested they allow Tesla owners to upgrade to Premium Slacker by paying for the difference in price between Slacker Plus and Slacker Premium subscriptions. This is their response:

"We have offered that option to Tesla. Unfortunately, Tesla has declined to provide official support for Premium Radio in their cars, so upgrades are not an option due to this decision by Tesla.

Should you like to have the option to access Premium Radio in your car, please contact Tesla directly and request that they add official support for Slacker Premium Radio in a future update to their cars."
have you ever noticed that it's not called Slacker Radio in the car? Spotify is the only option that is specifically called out by name. I'm guessing Tesla did this so they could ditch vendors in the future.

Reactions: TheOtherPete
yes but the terms of the premium connectivity package now being offered alludes to streaming music being included for what you pay for.

Connectivity

That could be argued that they include the streaming radio capability, but not the account. (Just like they provide the capability for Spotify but no account.)

And even in the Model X manual it says that the Tesla account is only good for 4-years.

agreed. need someone to test. personally i thought the $10/mo seemed ok with the slacker account included. if it's true that it's not, i think the deal worsens.

I asked that exact question to tesla support...

Check out my thread here about how the included Tesla Slacker account expires after one yet.

Slacker Invalid Tesla Credentials

From Tesla Support:
"Hello Robby,

Thank you for contacting us with your question about accessing Slacker Radio. Your Model 3 did include a complimentary 1 year subscription to Slacker Radio with the purchase. The complimentary subscription has ended though, as the 1 year has passed. You can still continue to enjoy listening to Slacker Radio by signing up for a plus or premium Slacker account and then using your credentials to log in to that account from the car.

Thank you for being a Tesla owner and helping to transition the world to sustainable energy."
tesla-slacker-jpg.487400

Follow up question to support

I just sent a follow-up because I have premium connectivity for life... here is the response.

"Hi Robby,

Thank you for following up with me on this request. Premium connectivity includes the access to in-car streaming music like Slacker but it does not include the subscription. With an eligible Slacker account, you can log in directly through the touchscreen on the car when you have the premium connectivity as opposed to the standard connectivity where, with the same eligible Slacker account, you would not be able to log in and listen through the car, you would pair your phone to your car and listen through the phone, using its data allowance.

Thank you for being a Tesla owner and helping to transition the world to sustainable energy.

Sincerely,

Tom B. | Tesla Support
12832 Frontrunner Blvd. Draper, UT 84020
www.tesla.com/support"

Picked up my car August 26'th 2018.

Strange, the behavior where a voice search would require me to touch the screen seems to have mostly reverted back to normal; that is, if I request a song, it will start a station based on that song, without requiring me to touch anything on the screen (most of the time). However, it’s still not playing the song that I want, just a station based on it. I’m hoping that means that if I sign up for Spotify, it will allow me to request and play songs without having to interact with the screen (like slacker used to).

I asked that exact question to tesla support...

Check out my thread here about how the included Tesla Slacker account expires after one yet.

Slacker Invalid Tesla Credentials

From Tesla Support:
"Hello Robby,

Thank you for contacting us with your question about accessing Slacker Radio. Your Model 3 did include a complimentary 1 year subscription to Slacker Radio with the purchase. The complimentary subscription has ended though, as the 1 year has passed. You can still continue to enjoy listening to Slacker Radio by signing up for a plus or premium Slacker account and then using your credentials to log in to that account from the car.

Thank you for being a Tesla owner and helping to transition the world to sustainable energy."
tesla-slacker-jpg.487400

Follow up question to support

I just sent a follow-up because I have premium connectivity for life... here is the response.

"Hi Robby,

Thank you for following up with me on this request. Premium connectivity includes the access to in-car streaming music like Slacker but it does not include the subscription. With an eligible Slacker account, you can log in directly through the touchscreen on the car when you have the premium connectivity as opposed to the standard connectivity where, with the same eligible Slacker account, you would not be able to log in and listen through the car, you would pair your phone to your car and listen through the phone, using its data allowance.

Thank you for being a Tesla owner and helping to transition the world to sustainable energy.

Sincerely,

Tom B. | Tesla Support
12832 Frontrunner Blvd. Draper, UT 84020
www.tesla.com/support"

Picked up my car August 26'th 2018.
That’s good to know. It definitely worsens the monthly $9.99 premium connectivity option if now we also have to pay to subscribe to slacker plus which was previously included.

Strange, the behavior where a voice search would require me to touch the screen seems to have mostly reverted back to normal; that is, if I request a song, it will start a station based on that song, without requiring me to touch anything on the screen (most of the time). However, it’s still not playing the song that I want, just a station based on it. I’m hoping that means that if I sign up for Spotify, it will allow me to request and play songs without having to interact with the screen (like slacker used to).

Oh wow you are right! They must have fixed it in the last update. I have spotify premium and voice search now go directly to the song! I just tested it.

Reactions: fseir
Which software version are you folks at? I’m at 36.2.4 and have to press the screen.

Oh wow you are right! They must have fixed it in the last update. I have spotify premium and voice search now go directly to the song! I just tested it.

I asked Slacker support if they were aware of any changes in Tesla's slacker accounts for those of us who were previously able to play any song on demand once per X time and the person who responded basically re-iterated how Slacker plus works and that you never get to pick which song plays. Basically saying that how it works now is how it was always intended to work.

Could not get any information on why I was previously able to pick any song on-demand from June 2018 until recently so either that was some sort of glitch or this person just was unaware of the recent changes made to early Model 3 Tesla slacker accounts.

Last edited:
Worse is that I think Slacker is intentionally burying the requested song now.

At first with my Model 3 (2018), the voice requested song would play 90 percent of the time. I believe Elon touted that capability at one point. It was a fantastic feature. Couldn't successfully voice request the same song within 24 hours or so but that was ok.

Then at some later point the requested song wouldn't always play but was usually findable within five or so skips forward (most of 2019 until V10). Not as great but liveable.

Then under V10 for awhile we had that horrible requirement of having to touch the screen to play the requested song but usually the requested song was available.

Now, the search function works and launches the Slacker station named for the exact song requested, but that song doesn't play. And it can take 50+ skips to find it as you scroll through that artist's (and similar artists') entire catalog of songs except the one you requested.

I was trying to make my kids laugh with Right Said Fred's I'm Too Sexy but was forced to learn that Right Said Fred apparently made a ton of other songs too. The requested song was nowhere to be found. Same issue with lots of other requests lately.

I now purposely am less specific so as not to run into that problem. If I just give the artist name, for example, I usually get their top songs near the beginning without having to skip forward dozens of times.

I liked the original way much better.

I have “I’m Too Sexy” by Right Said Fred as one of my saved stations. It plays a lot of silly songs from the 90’s, which can be quite entertaining (and I’m not going to even pretend that I have kids that I’m playing the station for).

I’m super amused to find out that I’m not the only one to request that song!

I was trying to make my kids laugh with Right Said Fred's I'm Too Sexy but was forced to learn that Right Said Fred apparently made a ton of other songs too. The requested song was nowhere to be found. Same issue with lots of other requests lately.

I now purposely am less specific so as not to run into that problem. If I just give the artist name, for example, I usually get their top songs near the beginning without having to skip forward dozens of times.

I liked the original way much better.

Hey guys, I've had my M3 LR since Nov 2018 but just joined this group.

Just curious, has anyone tried searching in Slacker since the new Tesla Premium Connectivity subscription kicked in (i.e. $10/mo)? I just noticed that with this new subscription, it now brings up a different-looking Slacker app whenever you do a search for a song, but strangely enough, the Songs, Albums and Artists page on this app are all BLANK! It only has content for Podcasts and Stations. Has anyone else noticed this since subscribing to Premium Connectivity?

Wow, so must be just my car then. I tried chatting with Tesla support yesterday, and of course they couldn't help. They only suggested to do a power off and reboot, and that did not change a thing. I just did not want to schedule service for something like this, but maybe I don't have a choice....

I can still play my favorites from before the switch over to Premium Connectivity, but I now lost any search capability for any new songs/artists I want to play. My Premium Connectivity works, it's just that the song search does not.