Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker Dumb question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question....

When I try to play a specific song or album on slacker, it generally gives me a constructed "radio station" that plays (sometimes) the song, parts of the album, and mostly a bunch of other music that is in the same genre.

Is this because of the specific Slacker plan that Tesla gives us with the car? Or is this just the way that Slacker is?

Question....

When I try to play a specific song or album on slacker, it generally gives me a constructed "radio station" that plays (sometimes) the song, parts of the album, and mostly a bunch of other music that is in the same genre.

Is this because of the specific Slacker plan that Tesla gives us with the car? Or is this just the way that Slacker is?

It's the plan service level.

They do have a service level that will allow you to choose the actual music rather than play "stations" of similar songs and artists (sometimes the one you asked for). This costs $10/month. I don't know if the Tesla can recognize this subscription, but I think I remember people have had success with it...

This also depends on the song's specific Slacker License, and the frequency at which you request a song.

For instance, I was in a Tom Sawyer- Rush mood today. First request, Slacker played it right away. I requested it again about an hour later ang got something else (but several Rush songs).

Yet other songs I can request multiple times and I will hear it play each time. So based on the subscription you get with the Tesla, the license for the specific song determines how often you hear it.

At least--that's my experience and also what I've heard.

I have the premium license and my car recognizes my account but doesn't allow me to do everything that my phone does that has the same license. One nice thing is that the recent firmware update now allows my car to recognize all of the playlists that I have created in my Slacker premium account and I can access them via the Tesla stereo.

Huge Rush fan, how do I request a song in slacker?

Hold down the steering wheel's right top button and intone in the voice of Geddy Lee, "Play Malignant Narcissism by Rush".

Wait for the window to appear on the 17" display. Scroll down. Select that song. Raise volume to 11. Enjoy the next 2 minutes and 10 seconds, and wish for a "repeat" feature or subscribe to premium.

'Tis a most proper way to start the day.

I have the premium license and my car recognizes my account but doesn't allow me to do everything that my phone does that has the same license. One nice thing is that the recent firmware update now allows my car to recognize all of the playlists that I have created in my Slacker premium account and I can access them via the Tesla stereo.

I guess it wasn't a completely dumb question. :) I'm debating about subscribing to the premium channel. What does it not allow you to do in the Tesla?

- - - Updated - - -

And yes.... Rush is awesome. Hardly a Canadian male of my vintage doesn't have a number of their songs permanently embedded in their skulls!

I guess it wasn't a completely dumb question. :) I'm debating about subscribing to the premium channel. What does it not allow you to do in the Tesla?

- - - Updated - - -

And yes.... Rush is awesome. Hardly a Canadian male of my vintage doesn't have a number of their songs permanently embedded in their skulls!

You can make playlists on your home computer (not sure if there's a way to make one on the fly in your car) that will show up on the Slacker in your car (you may have to log out and back on to refresh if you recently created the list). This is, again, subject to the license of the music you're trying to add to the playlist. There were some cases where I could put some of the songs from an artist on a playlist, but songs from other albums from the same artist would not. The good thing about playlists is that if you wanted to hear a song again, just skip forward to the same song again and it will play. Other than that, I didn't notice a difference from the Tesla provided account and the premium $10/month version.