Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker explicit content setting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kipernicus

Model S Res#P1440
Dec 2, 2009
Belmont, CA
I wish the Model S Slacker interface had the setting to enable/disable explicit content.
The Slacker website and mobile app have this capability, and it would be nice to not have to worry about inappropriate songs popping up when the kids are in the car.
The other day we were talking about Michael Jackson and Weird Al, and decided to play "Eat It". Well the next song that popped up was some gangsta rap with the f-word in the title, and I had to hastily ban it! Sure we've had the conversation about bad words and all, but it would just be more convenient if we could have that setting.
Anyone else agree?

PS - I sent this request to "ownership" a while back and hopefully it has made it into the feature request queue, but perhaps if there were more requests it would get more attention

Reactions: pgiralt
I wish the Model S Slacker interface had the setting to enable/disable explicit content.
The Slacker website and mobile app have this capability, and it would be nice to not have to worry about inappropriate songs popping up when the kids are in the car.
The other day we were talking about Michael Jackson and Weird Al, and decided to play "Eat It". Well the next song that popped up was some gangsta rap with the f-word in the title, and I had to hastily ban it! Sure we've had the conversation about bad words and all, but it would just be more convenient if we could have that setting.
Anyone else agree?

PS - I sent this request to "ownership" a while back and hopefully it has made it into the feature request queue, but perhaps if there were more requests it would get more attention

I'm pretty sure that one of the more recent firmwares under 6.1.*.* changed what was displayed on the display to asterisk out naughty words. I know this isn't exactly what you are asking for but it's one step in that direction because it used to show the entire word. In addition, I can't search for a song with one of these words because it "fixes" it for me on the search results.

I agree that this setting would be nice to have. On the flip side, sometimes I do want to hear the songs with the naughty words when kids aren't in the car. lol

[Moderator note: This post, ironically, had to be edited for content. We try to keep this site family freindly and examples of explicit content were not necessary to make one's point.]

I would be fine with this setting, as long as it was a setting.

I'm so sick of edited songs. If you don't like it, change the channel. But, with modern tech I don't see why you couldn't make it a toggle.

Halestorm - here's to us, edited, is just wrong. It loses it's punch and all feeling.
[Snip]

I plan to name my next boat "Here's to Us" across the back.

[snip]
I have lifetime XM in my Tahoe.. I called them to complain that the music was censored. I said, no, I paid for this service, I'm over 18. Play the ORIGINAL, correct song.

Censorship is wrong... I'm going to have to say... it's up to ones own diligence... The more I think about it, the more I side with free expression.

There are a million songs I could name that edited are just wrong.

But there are also millions that use profanity like it's going out of style, and show a clear lack of creativity...

Now I really miss summer!!!
[snip]

Last edited by a moderator:
Contact Tesla and ask them for the Slacker credentials for your car. When you get them, use them to log in to slacker.com on a computer, and toggle the explicit content setting there. This will then apply to your car. I did this a couple of weeks ago and no more sudden cursing on the radio!

Personally I don't mind profanity in my songs at all and prefer the original versions, but I'd rather be able to listen to my music with my four-year-old in the car, and I don't want to have to explain to her what these things mean just yet. I already have trouble explaining some of my "driving words"....

I told my kids from day one, there's nothing in the words but letters... it's all in how you use them. Use a word (any word!) violently to hurt someone, bad. The same words can describe the 'nicest' things too, of course...

Contact Tesla and ask them for the Slacker credentials for your car. When you get them, use them to log in to slacker.com on a computer, and toggle the explicit content setting there. This will then apply to your car. I did this a couple of weeks ago and no more sudden cursing on the radio!

Personally I don't mind profanity in my songs at all and prefer the original versions, but I'd rather be able to listen to my music with my four-year-old in the car, and I don't want to have to explain to her what these things mean just yet. I already have trouble explaining some of my "driving words"....

Thanks for the tip! I didn't know this setting existed and this is something that has always bugged me as well.

I've also gotten my slacker credentials and changed the settings via the web to turn off explicit lyrics. I had to do it a few times so it would stick (it kept turning back to explicit lyrics on its own). My kids are smart though. They started asking for Kidz Bop versions of songs (which I can't stand). When I asked why they said "we know those versions don't have bad words in them."

@mikeash - thanks! I will try to do that. Would be nicer to toggle in-car however.

@SabrTooth - Agree that "it's up to ones own diligence". The issue with Slacker is that sometimes you don't have control over what you hear, and stuff comes up unexpectedly. That's why I want the button.

@santana338 - I've listened to more Kidz Bop than I care to admit!

I just tried this and it works as expected. Here's the closest thing you can get to a control on the actual Tesla screen. Install the Slacker Radio App and log in using the Tesla credentials. In the Player Settings page, there is the option to turn Explicit lyrics on and off. The change appears to take effect immediately. I did a test by playing a song I knew had explicit lyrics with the setting turned off and then changed the setting and played the same song again. It worked as expected.

Awesome! glad there is a solution to this. So now I won't have to hear this rant from my 6 year old in the back. "Daddy, he said SH*T. SH*T is a bad word. Why did he say SH*T? He shouldn't say SH*T. We aren't supposed to say SH*T." and on and on and on ... he loves to berate the use of the word, because then he gets to use the word.