Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker - Logging in Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Slacker is an embedded third party service that Tesla packages as a car feature. This is different than Tesla saying that Slacker and other streaming media services are “compatible” with Tesla. I believe some car manufacturers do allow owners to download various third party apps and use them in the car’s head unit. This is not how Tesla packages the Slacker music service.

jorobsand's point still stands. Slacker is no different than XM radio and there is no way that Tesla should be blamed for technical difficulties at Slacker anymore than they would be blamed for technical difficulties with XM. Would you blame Tesla if an FM station went off the air? Would you blame them if there was an XM radio failure? C'mon guys, get real ;)

Reactions: jorobsand
Slacker is an embedded third party service that Tesla packages as a car feature. This is different than Tesla saying that Slacker and other streaming media services are “compatible” with Tesla. I believe some car manufacturers do allow owners to download various third party apps and use them in the car’s head unit. This is not how Tesla packages the Slacker music service.

And if the error were due to Slacker's integration with Tesla I would agree that Tesla has a stake in it. But as I understood it the error was on Slacker's side and affected more than just Tesla users.

jorobsand's point still stands. Slacker is no different than XM radio and there is no way that Tesla should be blamed for technical difficulties at Slacker anymore than they would be blamed for technical difficulties with XM. Would you blame Tesla if an FM station went off the air? Would you blame them if there was an XM radio failure? C'mon guys, get real ;)
But there is a bit of a difference - Tesla chose Slacker and has good integration with Slacker - it does not have the same integration with other services like Spotify (at least not in North America). Spotify has not had an issue like that - therefore one can blame Tesla for locking Tesla customers into a substandard music streaming solution.

It is kind of like if Sirius and XM still existed as separate competing companies and Tesla allowed full integration with XM but not with Sirius and XM sucked compared to Sirius.

I'm quite happy to blame Tesla for forcing us into Slacker instead of other streaming services in the screen.

But there is a bit of a difference - Tesla chose Slacker and has good integration with Slacker - it does not have the same integration with other services like Spotify (at least not in North America). Spotify has not had an issue like that - therefore one can blame Tesla for locking Tesla customers into a substandard music streaming solution.

It is kind of like if Sirius and XM still existed as separate competing companies and Tesla allowed full integration with XM but not with Sirius and XM sucked compared to Sirius.

If you recall, XM and Sirius used to be separate services. Car companies routinely would offer one or the other. I always found Sirius' signal to be interrupted more frequently (their satellites were lower on the horizon) but I didn't blame BMW because they didn't offer XM. With today's connectivity, it's pretty simple to use your phone if you have other services you would rather access.

I'm quite happy to blame Tesla for forcing us into Slacker instead of other streaming services in the screen.

As I said above, with today's connectivity, you can use your phone to access whatever you like. If Tesla was able to get a more favorable deal from Slacker (like offering the base system for free to all Tesla owners) that's a corporate decision. That doesn't make Tesla responsible for a the Slacker website experiencing a crash. In two years of ownership, this is the first service interruption I have seen. I'd rather just enjoy my amazing car than sweat the small stuff like this. Talk about first world problems :)

This happened to me after the latest updates. I tried rebooting to no avail. I called Tesla support and they said that I was the first one to call in about it but that Slacker had just released something saying that it was on their end and that the fix should be pushed out soon. So please hold...(and listen to the radio)