TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Slacker Next to Useless after 4.3

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by mknox, Apr 11, 2013.

1. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Since upgrading the car to 4.3, I have found Slacker radio to be practically useless. It constantly stutters, stops and buffers and sometimes just sits and won't play at all. I have to resort to XM :crying: but was planning on letting my XM subscription lapse. I seem to have a good 3G signal (4 or 5 bars) so I attribute this to something to do with the software update. It worked perfectly on 4.2.

2. SteveH

SteveH Member

I've noticed a few more skips than with 4.2, but not a significant difference.

3. jbherman

jbherman Member

I agree. Slacker functionality has significantly degraded since I upgraded to 4.3 (and I'd still love to be able to use "premium" Slacker features).

4. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

Have you tried setting the audio quality to Medium in the Apps settings page?

It made quite a difference in stuttering for me, without noticeable audio degradation IMO.

5. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

No difference here in the Bay Area.

6. MichaelS

MichaelS Member

No problems I can determine here in the Bay Area.

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I'll give that a shot, but really wanted to keep the audio quality "high". Just annoying that it worked so well on 4.2 and now, not so much.

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I've always had that problem with Slacker, and the stuttering comes and goes - little to no correlation to number of bars. I've taken to lowering the Quality setting. That definitely helps.

I've wondered if maybe rebooting the touchscreen would have an impact... something to try.

9. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

Actually, for us, Slacker has been flawless the last week or so (Minneapolis). I suspect it has less to do with 4.3 and more with the traffic or local cell towers?

10. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Ditto, no better or worse under 4.3 (either version) for me.

11. kruecab

kruecab Member

Me too. Never heard a stutter on 4.0, 4.1, or 4.2 but since going to 4.3, it has happened a sporadically Actually commented to the wife I was surprised it didn't occur more often, but I now realize it really hadn't happened pre-4.3.

12. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

I've noticed the same thing. Used to be much more consistent before the switch to 4.3.

13. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

A 17" reboot (holding both scroll buttons) fixed the stutters/pauses for me on 4.3. We just finished a 3K road trip and I rebooted the 17" about 5 times during the trip, but only once for the stutters.

14. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I've had no stutters on 4.3 (1.25.40). Haven't rebooted the screen in weeks, actually!

15. 100thMonkey

100thMonkey Member

My wife and I have noticed that connectivity in general seems to have drastically improved with 4.3. we were having a lot of trouble with both slacker and streaming pandora from an Iphone 5. we have yet to have any of those issues since the update... fingers crossed.

16. scriptacus

scriptacus Member

Not to stray from the topic, but what made you need to reboot your 17" 5 times in 3k miles?

I'm kind of disturbed at the ho-hum attitude people here seem to have regarding reboots. I know... I know... "early adopter" and all that, but we shouldn't be needing to reboot our car screens all the time.

17. jaysquyres

jaysquyres Member

Did you reset? See if it improves service. Did for me. Hold both keys on wheel for a few seconds, until resets. Should get better service after.

18. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

my 17" assembly is being replaced on Friday as it was having issues with loud/continuous loud fan noises.

19. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

We don't, he did.
    One case does not mean a systematic issue.

Disco, glad to hear it is being addressed:)

20. William13

William13 Member

Mine has been better since new years. The stuttering for me has always been related to being close to the mall or when students have more free time. My limitation has been others data use, not mine. The lower quality worked around Christmas but is no longer needed.

No change with firmware for me.