Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker on demand not working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My daughter asked me to play "Seven Rings" by Ariana Grande. I clicked the scroll wheel and spoke "Play Seven Rings by Ariana Grande" . A few seconds later a different song comes in by Ariana Grande under the title of Seven Rings Radio. This has happened multiple times and for songs that I have absolutely not requested in the last week. Isn't thus car supposed to offer Slacker with on demand? Doesn't really impress when little things like this just don't work...

After reading multiple threads and just reviewing what's included in "slacker plus" I don't think on-demand is included with the Tesla Slacker account. Even though this functionality certainly has worked in the past, it does not not appear to work this way now, or at best is hit and miss. I'm disappointed with my findings.

Reactions: Falkirk
Slacker has worked this way since I got the car in September. Playing the song that you requested has been hit or miss. Reading other posts says that they can only play a song so many times in a day, so if it has already been played within a certain time frame, it cannot be played again. A radio station is labeled and another song from the album is played or a “similar” song is played.

I have Slacker Premium and "on demand" works just fine. That said, there are numerous restrictions caused by license agreements. For instance, if you say "Play Back in the USSR" you get Billy Joel's live version. If you "Play Back in the USSR by the Beatles" you get one of the alternate versions. If you say "Play The Beatles White Album" that works. And its not just major groups - when trying to set up a playlist of somewhat eclectic artists, I have to search for a song that is eligible for adding to a playlist. It is far from a "Every Song Ever Recorded" service!

I think some of the Premium functionality is still neutered. I can play most complete albums through the Slacker app but the same albums are hit or miss in the car. It’s like playing the album lottery since you can’t tell until it starts playing.

The free Slacker account, like most other free streaming accounts is bound by license on what and how it can be played. The free license is like a FM radio station, you can tune to any station you want, and if the station allows, you can ask for a specific song that you may or may not get.

The free Slacker account, like most other free streaming accounts is bound by license on what and how it can be played. The free license is like a FM radio station, you can tune to any station you want, and if the station allows, you can ask for a specific song that you may or may not get.
That is true, but the Tesla is not using the free account, it is some form of premium.

I searched specifically for this thread… I know exactly what the OP is talking about. Just starting this Tuesday, the on demand feature no longer worked for me. ☹️
Being able to select a song, even if it was only once in a 24 hour period, was one of my favorite features! I chatted with Slacker support just now and the rep stated that this was never a feature of Slacker on Tesla and “I was just getting lucky” when I requested a song. Something definitely changed early Feb though, since it had worked essentially 100% of the time (with the 24hr same-song request limitation) over the 7mo I have had my model 3.

So it sounds like Slacker doesn’t officially support the feature on Tesla’s (if the Slacker rep is to be believed) but we somehow had it under the table... But now something has changed and we are out of luck?

We need to campaign Elon to get this officially working... I definitely will miss this feature!!

(Btw, I wonder if it was only a subset of us lucky ones who had this feature?... when I had told my other model 3 owner friends about this feature, they said it was hit or miss for them, unlike my near 100% success rate)

I searched specifically for this thread… I know exactly what the OP is talking about. Just starting this Tuesday, the on demand feature no longer worked for me. ☹️
Being able to select a song, even if it was only once in a 24 hour period, was one of my favorite features! I chatted with Slacker support just now and the rep stated that this was never a feature of Slacker on Tesla and “I was just getting lucky” when I requested a song. Something definitely changed early Feb though, since it had worked essentially 100% of the time (with the 24hr same-song request limitation) over the 7mo I have had my model 3.

So it sounds like Slacker doesn’t officially support the feature on Tesla’s (if the Slacker rep is to be believed) but we somehow had it under the table... But now something has changed and we are out of luck?

We need to campaign Elon to get this officially working... I definitely will miss this feature!!

(Btw, I wonder if it was only a subset of us lucky ones who had this feature?... when I had told my other model 3 owner friends about this feature, they said it was hit or miss for them, unlike my near 100% success rate)

I had this same thing happen to me. It worked one day on the demand (I knew because it didn’t call it the ‘radio station version’. The next day it just stopped working.

So I know this thread is months old, but I have the same problem. My son loves driving in my car because he enjoys asking for songs on demand. It's become a game we play. It worked pretty well, with many of the limitations already mentioned, i.e., limited number of times a song can be played in a day, etc.

Have had the M3 for just over a year. Suddenly it stopped working 2 weeks ago and it's driving me crazy.

If that feature isn't supposed to be supported on Tesla M3, why is the little microphone there?

I'd be willing to pay for the feature. I called to get my user name and password for Slacker radio but was told it couldn't be given out.

I love driving my car but there are so many weird little Tesla quirks. So frustrating.

So I know this thread is months old, but I have the same problem. My son loves driving in my car because he enjoys asking for songs on demand. It's become a game we play. It worked pretty well, with many of the limitations already mentioned, i.e., limited number of times a song can be played in a day, etc.

Have had the M3 for just over a year. Suddenly it stopped working 2 weeks ago and it's driving me crazy.

If that feature isn't supposed to be supported on Tesla M3, why is the little microphone there?

I'd be willing to pay for the feature. I called to get my user name and password for Slacker radio but was told it couldn't be given out.

I love driving my car but there are so many weird little Tesla quirks. So frustrating.
I haven’t logged in here in awhile so just saw this ... shortly after I wrote my post, the on-demand started working again... it’s been fine ever since. Btw, just also got a premium Spotify account this week so I am using that now that it is integrated into the car... It’s fantastic! You can repeat songs, make playlists, etc and it’s very well integrated.

My daughter asked me to play "Seven Rings" by Ariana Grande. I clicked the scroll wheel and spoke "Play Seven Rings by Ariana Grande" . A few seconds later a different song comes in by Ariana Grande under the title of Seven Rings Radio. This has happened multiple times and for songs that I have absolutely not requested in the last week. Isn't thus car supposed to offer Slacker with on demand? Doesn't really impress when little things like this just don't work...

That is a thing with Slacker and non-premium accounts. It will play on demand, but not if you played it recently. Also they may not have had it. I guess you don't have the V10 upgrade with Spotify yet. When they added Spotify you can no longer play any song by voice. It only will try to do a search and you have to select it by hand.

Slacker Radio (now LiveXLive) premium is an upgrade to the free version and it allows you on demand songs, albums and many other options.