TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Slacker radio credentials

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by dano9258, Jul 16, 2018.

1. dano9258

dano9258 Member

I emailed Tesla to try to get credentials for the slacker account it is using as I'd like to use it on desktop and phone as well to build my music taste profile a little better. They replied saying that they can't give that out. Is there a reason for that? I've read some model s owners were able to get theirs from Tesla...

2. rhaekar

rhaekar Member

I asked too, only S and X owners can get it. Maybe something about their contract with Slacker, who knows.

3. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

Easiest way is to pay the $30 a year to get the Slacker Plus account then login with that in the car.
    That works fine.

• Like x 1
  4. psykobunny83

psykobunny83 Member

That's what I'm going to do. I thought Slacker would be like GPM or Spotify more like $10 a month but it's pretty inexpensive.

5. dano9258

dano9258 Member

Is the high quality really that much better?

6. coffeebrewster

coffeebrewster New Member

Well, I do not think the "plus" account (~$30 yearly) gives you the ability to play a song on demand or create playlist. That is what the $10/month "premium" subscription is for (more inline w/ spotify/GPM etc.). I may be wrong, but that is what my understanding is.

• Helpful x 1
  7. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

You are exactly correct. The cheap version just lets you build radio stations, but you do get better sound.

8. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

Do you?

Audio Quality

This says quality is on a per-platform basis- meaning you'd have to change it in the car to make it play higher quality in the car.

And a previous thread suggested there's no setting for that in the 3.

9. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

#9 SageBrush, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    What is a platform ?

Addendum:
    Platform is web, Android or iOS.
    They are saying that if e.g you have two Android phones then setting the audio quality bitrate on one phone will set the other phone to the same, but not effect e.g your computer setting.

10. SageBrush

I've read that our Tesla provided slacker accounts are of the 'plus' variety, which explains the inability to play an album. If I was a streaming audio fanatic I would just pay for the $10 a month premium subscription and be very happy that I can use it in the car.

11. jelly

jelly Member

Audio quality I don't think changes.

It's 64kbps by default in Tesla and 128kbps for those that are enabled which previously was available for S and X that had the high Fidelity sound. Our M3s don't have the option to enable high quality streaming, despite having premium sound in the PUP, So it's either already on higher quality 128kbps by default or it's 64kbps.

When I play the same song at 190kbps on Spotify it is MUCH better and clearer to my ears.

So I'm guessing we are at 64kbps with slacker on the Model 3s.

12. Knightshade

right- so changing quality on your phone won't make it better in your car.

You'd have to change it in your car.

Which supposedly is not possible in a 3 right now.

13. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

So....what does the Model 3 have? Slacker or Spotify?

Is there something that pre-Model 3 owners are able to do to ensure the highest form of uninterrupted audio play?

14. Knightshade

Slacker- and right now seems like you get 64 bit low quality, period, in the M3

15. SageBrush

#15 SageBrush, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    Is that the case ?
    I doubt it, but if so $30 a year will bump you up to 320 kbps

Here are the subscription levels available for personal purchase. Unless Tesla has some 4rth choice, the car appears to run the 'plus' subscription that allows 320 kbps bitrate

Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 8.20.59 PM.jpg

16. Knightshade

Yes, mentioned in other threads.

Nope, sure won't.

Check the link I posted earlier. bitrate is determined per platform.

You can't change it anywhere but the car and have it change the bitrate in the car- and the car doesn't offer the option to change it- no matter what subscription you have.

The S/X apparently DID have a setting for this (that went to 128kb) if you had the higher end stereo (not sure if setting is still there) but the 3 currently does not.

17. SageBrush

From the Model 3 user manual:

• Informative x 2
  18. Knightshade

And numerous folks have mentioned that's an old manual (The UHFS package doesn't even exist on the model 3- it was an S option- though presumably the audio in the PUP would be the nearest thing) and the bitrate option it tells you to use does not exist in current M3 software.

19. SageBrush

I see. In that case I counsel patience ;-)

20. Knightshade

Not too worried about it, I plan to have a couple hundred gigs of much higher quality music on a USB key

I do wonder if they were waiting for the "everyone after this date pays for data after a year" thing to put audio quality options into the software update queue though.

For free one can only complain so much- but if I found out I was paying for data and only getting 64 kbps music I might be annoyed.