Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker radio credentials

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

talkingevs

GO AVS! 2022 CHAMPS!
Jan 28, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
I emailed Tesla to try to get credentials for the slacker account it is using as I'd like to use it on desktop and phone as well to build my music taste profile a little better. They replied saying that they can't give that out. Is there a reason for that? I've read some model s owners were able to get theirs from Tesla...

That's what I'm going to do. I thought Slacker would be like GPM or Spotify more like $10 a month but it's pretty inexpensive.

Well, I do not think the "plus" account (~$30 yearly) gives you the ability to play a song on demand or create playlist. That is what the $10/month "premium" subscription is for (more inline w/ spotify/GPM etc.). I may be wrong, but that is what my understanding is.

• Helpful
Reactions: SageBrush
Well, I do not think the "plus" account (~$30 yearly) gives you the ability to play a song on demand or create playlist. That is what the $10/month "premium" subscription is for (more inline w/ spotify/GPM etc.). I may be wrong, but that is what my understanding is.
You are exactly correct. The cheap version just lets you build radio stations, but you do get better sound.

I've read that our Tesla provided slacker accounts are of the 'plus' variety, which explains the inability to play an album. If I was a streaming audio fanatic I would just pay for the $10 a month premium subscription and be very happy that I can use it in the car.

Audio quality I don't think changes.

It's 64kbps by default in Tesla and 128kbps for those that are enabled which previously was available for S and X that had the high Fidelity sound. Our M3s don't have the option to enable high quality streaming, despite having premium sound in the PUP, So it's either already on higher quality 128kbps by default or it's 64kbps.

When I play the same song at 190kbps on Spotify it is MUCH better and clearer to my ears.

So I'm guessing we are at 64kbps with slacker on the Model 3s.

What is a platform ?

Addendum:
Platform is web, Android or iOS.
They are saying that if e.g you have two Android phones then setting the audio quality bitrate on one phone will set the other phone to the same, but not effect e.g your computer setting.

right- so changing quality on your phone won't make it better in your car.

You'd have to change it in your car.

Which supposedly is not possible in a 3 right now.

Slacker- and right now seems like you get 64 bit low quality, period, in the M3
Is that the case ?
I doubt it, but if so $30 a year will bump you up to 320 kbps

Here are the subscription levels available for personal purchase. Unless Tesla has some 4rth choice, the car appears to run the 'plus' subscription that allows 320 kbps bitrate

Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 8.20.59 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Is that the case ?

Yes, mentioned in other threads.

Is
I doubt it, but if so $30 a year will bump you up to 320 kbps

Nope, sure won't.

Check the link I posted earlier. bitrate is determined per platform.

You can't change it anywhere but the car and have it change the bitrate in the car- and the car doesn't offer the option to change it- no matter what subscription you have.

The S/X apparently DID have a setting for this (that went to 128kb) if you had the higher end stereo (not sure if setting is still there) but the 3 currently does not.

You can't change it anywhere but the car and have it change the bitrate in the car- and the car doesn't offer the option to change it- no matter what subscription you have.
From the Model 3 user manual:
By default, TuneIn uses a Tesla account that has been set up for you. To sign in to a different TuneIn account, scroll to the bottom of the TuneIn source, touch Sign In, and enter your log in information. Note: When playing a TuneIn podcast, you can rewind or fast forward to any location in the podcast. On the Now Playing view, drag the arrow below the slider bar to the desired location. Note: Tesla also provides you with a complimentary Streaming Personal Radio account for four years.

To use your own Slacker Plus or Premium account instead, scroll to the bottom of the Streaming source, enter your credentials, touch Use High Bitrate to stream higher quality sound (if your Model 3 is equipped with the optional Ultra High Fidelity Sound package), and then touch LOGIN. To switch back to your Tesla account, simply touch USE TESLA ACCOUNT; you don't need to enter a user name or password for your Tesla account. You can purchase your own Slacker Plus or Premium account at www.slacker.com. Model 3 does not support basic (free) Slacker services.

• Informative
Reactions: gjunky and DR61
I see. In that case I counsel patience ;-)

Not too worried about it, I plan to have a couple hundred gigs of much higher quality music on a USB key

I do wonder if they were waiting for the "everyone after this date pays for data after a year" thing to put audio quality options into the software update queue though.

For free one can only complain so much- but if I found out I was paying for data and only getting 64 kbps music I might be annoyed.