Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker radio credentials

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand why streaming audio isn't cached. I have wondered if this could be why Tesla was hinting at creating its own streaming audio subsidiary last year; maybe Slacker's licensing model doesn't allow Tesla to cache content. But imagine the benefits! A song is streamed once and is cached. Maybe the car could have a small amount of flash memory, even 4GB, dedicated to this. The car could check the cache and play from there whenever a requested song was present. This would eliminate a LOT of cell traffic, would make the most commonly played songs load immediately even in poor service areas, and could allow high bitrate versions to be downloaded to the cache when the car is on wi-fi.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Well I just screwed myself into getting a slacker Plus's acc thinking my m3 will play a higher bitrate with it... Anyways if a person wants to test if it will play a higher bitrate, Groupon is having a 6 month $12 dollar deal for slacker plus.

The model 3 already comes with Plus because we get unlimited skips right? It's the premium that will get us a higher bitrate?

I have premium and notice the difference in sounds quality on my account vs the Tesla account.

I have also noticed that premium plays a much wider and newer selection of music when i select one of the playlists such as "Today's hits" or "hip hop hits'.

I don't understand why streaming audio isn't cached. I have wondered if this could be why Tesla was hinting at creating its own streaming audio subsidiary last year; maybe Slacker's licensing model doesn't allow Tesla to cache content. But imagine the benefits! A song is streamed once and is cached. Maybe the car could have a small amount of flash memory, even 4GB, dedicated to this. The car could check the cache and play from there whenever a requested song was present. This would eliminate a LOT of cell traffic, would make the most commonly played songs load immediately even in poor service areas, and could allow high bitrate versions to be downloaded to the cache when the car is on wi-fi.
I’ve noticed that there is a cache, of at least a couple of songs. Driving out in the boonies the maps will go offline but the music will continue to play. If it’s out for more than a couple of songs it does drop out though.

Slacker just wrote back and said that Tesla's information is incorrect. If there is no option to enable higher quality audio in the car, then it will be at the default 64kbps quality regardless of personal account and subscription level.

Here is the definitive answer from Slacker support:

Audio quality options are specific to the platform you set it on (so setting quality level on the website only affects the website on that computer, or setting the quality in the mobile app only affects the quality of Slacker on that particular app).

Signing into your Tesla with a Slacker account where the audio quality setting has been changed on the website or mobile phone will have no effect on the audio quality of the car.

The only way to adjust the quality setting is with the High Quality audio checkbox that appears on the Log In page of the Slacker app on your Tesla console. If your particular car does not have this option, then your car can only use Slacker's low audio quality setting.

Attachments

• B389EB98-4363-419E-8978-C85F2C12B903.jpeg
    B389EB98-4363-419E-8978-C85F2C12B903.jpeg
    351.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Yup, exactly what I thought...
So basically we have to wait for Tesla to update the firmware. :(
Main upside to paying money for plus for me is that I can create my own stations and manage them - and keep using slacker on my phone/computer.

Yes- assuming they ever intend to add it.

From one of the S threads linked earlier it appears they removed the audio quality option on the S/X when it used to have it.... (any current S/X owner who can verify if it's still gone?)

Possibly to reduce their bandwidth costs.

I don’t have a Tesla (yet) so this is all conjecture:

Tesla wrote the slacker app that is running in the car. They also probably have a deal with slacker (they are distributing this on hundreds of thousands of cars after all) so there’s no reason to think that Tesla is actually forced to stick to what’s available with the various levels that individuals can subscribe to. Isn’t it possible that Tesla has written the app to use the same quality settings from other platforms? I would practically guarantee the slacker api has the ability to query this information.

Point being, just because the apps that slacker wrote don’t work a certain way is no reason to assume that the Tesla app can’t.

I don’t have a Tesla (yet) so this is all conjecture:

Tesla wrote the slacker app that is running in the car. They also probably have a deal with slacker (they are distributing this on hundreds of thousands of cars after all) so there’s no reason to think that Tesla is actually forced to stick to what’s available with the various levels that individuals can subscribe to. Isn’t it possible that Tesla has written the app to use the same quality settings from other platforms?

No.

Because you have the way it works backward.

Slackers server checks the setting on the client platform and sends that bitrate.

The client is the Tesla app.

Which is set quite low by default. And can't currently be changed.

This is all directly stated, by slacker, who being the ones running the servers, would know.

Tesla isn't being "forced" to stick to 64 kbps. They're explicitly choosing to and not permitting you to improve it right now.

It's unclear if that will change in future software, or if they're doing it to reduce their own costs for bandwidth.