Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker Radio Love it or Hate it?

Slacker Radio

• I Love it

Votes: 29 46.8%
  • I hate it

Votes: 33 53.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ended up subscribing with the hope I could use Soundiiz to sync my spotify playlists over to Slacker.
Apart from the fact that personal Slacker Playlists no longer show up after the move to 28.x - Slacker also doesn't have all the artists that are available to Spotify.
New releases are usually delayed a couple of days - and Soundiiz sometimes matches a Spotify song with some obscure totally wrong Slacker song. I've emailed Soundiiz but after a couple of emails they went silent.
I do like that a Slacker subscription gets rid of the "one song per listening session" - but the navigation on the Model 3 is really lacking.
Conclusion - the paid service is better than the free one - but compares to Spotify it sucks and isn't up to the same standard as the rest of the vehicle.

Oh, I hadn't even thought about that. I tried using SD cards in my Golf but there was something it didn't like about certain filenames where only about 1/4 of the songs ever showed up. I fought with it for about 4-5 hours, constantly exporting from iTunes, renaming, etc, and finally gave up.

Which USB port do you use? One of the 'phone charging' ones under the cell phone holder panel? Or is there one somewhere else I'm not thinking of? I suppose a stubby little USB stick might work well in the rear seat vent area too.
Yes, the two front USB ports. Just make sure the USB drive you use is configured to FAT32, or it won't be recognized.

Yes, the two front USB ports. Just make sure the USB drive you use is configured to FAT32, or it won't be recognized.

Thanks! Will do.

For those asking about dash screen integration, I have Spotify Premium and I had CarPlay in my last car and I used it twice in 3 years. I just used BT, it was better in every way. I guess if your phone doesn't stay connected via BT I can see why it would be vastly preferable though :-/

It's okay, but it doesn't seem to do genres all that well. I asked it to play kids' music, and it just played a song called Kids Music. I guess it worked?

I also just called Tesla to get my login info, and they told me that it's not yet available for Model 3 owners. {eye roll}

Hate, hate, hate it. I requested "Make it Rain" by Ed Sheeran. It is a very bluesy song and not pop like his other songs. I have listened to and thumbed-down 50+ songs and have yet to hear anything but pop. Also presented with Christmas music! Haven't heard a single blues tune, not even the one I requested. I requested songs by Michelle Shocked. Sorry, lots of offerings for other artists and albums with Michelle or Shocked in their name. Nothing from Michelle Shocked. With Pandora, I have 15 or so curated stations covering many genres...and I get to put the all together in shuffle mode. Nice. I also mis my Sirius XM radio and all its news and comedy stations. There is only one news station on Slacker. Not a fan.

I am really indifferent - I don't bother using it by asking it to play music based on a specific song. I simply go to one of the existing stations and play those from time to time. Slacker definitely needs to improve their suggestions based on a single song you choose. Since I know that function sucks so bad - I simply avoid it altogether. If I want to listen in that fashion - I end up using Pandora or Spotify via bluetooth.

I am in a love/hate relationship with slacker in my Tesla model 3. I really like the hard rock channel and the selection of songs is good but my son down voted a few songs and they refuse to come back into my channel. I even opened a support ticket with slacker asking if there is a way to reset a channel and the answer was no, nothing you can do. Not too excited with that reply. I know i can login as a real account into the slacker radio on the car but this would require i pay for the enhanced slacker experience if i want to skip more than 6 songs in a row and heck the car already comes with what appears to be the enhanced slacker radio. Correct me if i am wrong but after a year Tesla will ask for $100.00 for the premium internet service for our cars, right? will also include the slacker subscription too?

Anyway i do like it but like others I wish there were more selections of the other streaming services included on the display. Doug

Slacker Radio, only 2 options to love or hate! Seems it's a bit of a monopoly with HD Radio crashing whenever you access.

I pay for Apple Music and would love to browse my playlists on the screen instead of accessing my phone. As soon as you can play Spotify with an LTE Apple Watch I'll switch to Spotify again, so any integration through your phone to the big screen would be nice, ... with bluetooth of course.

Now adding lyrics to the screen would be super helpful as well, especially with AP. Who doesn't love singing in their car?

Reactions: KenF