Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker Radio on CPO/Used Tesla MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up a used 15 MS 85D a little over a month ago - through Tesla.

Curious as my Slacker streaming service stopped working last week. I have tried both soft/hard resets without resolution as I continue to get the error of "Unable to log in. Please try again later" when trying to "Use the Tesla account".

I have searched through the TMC forums and can't find a definitive answer to this question. I have seen some state they called the SC's and get Tesla's log in info and that solved the problem, others state they were no longer giving this info out. Others are apparently having problems in the last week; some believing its due to Slacker changing over to Live2Live possibly?

I had a mobile ranger at the house last Friday for some Warranty work and he stated that was something I would want to reach out to my Delivery Consultant about, but they have yet to respond.

I also know that the Slacker Plus that comes with the car is good for 4 years.
What I am really curious about & that I can not get an answer on is if that 4 years is from when the vehicle is initially sold/put into service or is an additional 4 years provided from Tesla if purchased used as well?

Can anyone provide any insight?

Also, interesting in searching the forum for answers is that some mention the Slacker Premium has better Audio quality than that of the free Plus version the Tesla's come with? Also, seen was that Tesla no longer supports the Premium version in the vehicles as well? Anyone have any feedback on this, by chance?

I don't know the answers to all of your questions, but I do know that there is a software bug that causes the MCU clock to become out of sync to internet time, and this causes Slacker to stop working.

Search under "Slacker not working" and you should find the thread in the user interface forum.

They were able to fix mine remotely by syncing the MCU to an internet time stamp, but the MCU has drifted about 45 seconds fast again and Slacker stopped working after a few weeks.

Reportedly there is a firmware update in the works to fix the problem.

Just picked up a used 15 MS 85D a little over a month ago - through Tesla.

Curious as my Slacker streaming service stopped working last week. I have tried both soft/hard resets without resolution as I continue to get the error of "Unable to log in. Please try again later" when trying to "Use the Tesla account".

I have searched through the TMC forums and can't find a definitive answer to this question. I have seen some state they called the SC's and get Tesla's log in info and that solved the problem, others state they were no longer giving this info out. Others are apparently having problems in the last week; some believing its due to Slacker changing over to Live2Live possibly?

I had a mobile ranger at the house last Friday for some Warranty work and he stated that was something I would want to reach out to my Delivery Consultant about, but they have yet to respond.

I also know that the Slacker Plus that comes with the car is good for 4 years.
What I am really curious about & that I can not get an answer on is if that 4 years is from when the vehicle is initially sold/put into service or is an additional 4 years provided from Tesla if purchased used as well?

Can anyone provide any insight?

Also, interesting in searching the forum for answers is that some mention the Slacker Premium has better Audio quality than that of the free Plus version the Tesla's come with? Also, seen was that Tesla no longer supports the Premium version in the vehicles as well? Anyone have any feedback on this, by chance?
You know that Slacker on a 2015 expires after four years? Where did you get that information? Only new cars sold over the past year or so were affected by that limit, I thought. I suppose used cars sold by Tesla could fall under that policy too, but it’s the first I’ve heard of it.

You know that Slacker on a 2015 expires after four years? Where did you get that information? Only new cars sold over the past year or so were affected by that limit, I thought. I suppose used cars sold by Tesla could fall under that policy too, but it’s the first I’ve heard of it.

I DON'T know whether or not the 4 year period is re-upped to the former CPO, now called "used" Tesla's. I was asking here in case someone had a definitive answer.

I am reaching out to Tesla as we speak on multiple channels to at least try and get the Slacker up and running. Once that is accomplished, I do plan on asking for clarification on the 4 year period of Slacker as it applies to used Tesla's. I have to think that Used cars NOT purchased directly through Tesla wouldn't have the free Slacker Radio extended past the initial 4 year period but I'll try to get answer(s) to all of the above and post answers for other's that may wonder the same.

Reset your MCU using the two finger salute (hold two wheels down for 10 seconds). Sometimes it takes 1-2 resets to help. Then, try playing something from your "Recents" section instead of clicking on the Streaming Music icon/Slacker. That usually makes it work.

I tried that and they wouldn't give me the info. They say they no longer give it out and is not needed to login. Just press Tesla Login
Reset your MCU using the two finger salute (hold two wheels down for 10 seconds). Sometimes it takes 1-2 resets to help. Then, try playing something from your "Recents" section instead of clicking on the Streaming Music icon/Slacker. That usually makes it work.

I’ve tried this multiple times and it simply gives me the spinning wheel (like it’s loading) for infinity. Emailed service, texted my delivery consultant, and messaged Tesla on the website...not a single response.

Welcome to Tesla Service, that I read about here from many members, prior to buying. Frustrating.

That's exactly the behavior associated with the time sync being off. Check the car's clock against your cell phone, and if there's a difference, then that's the issue.

They can resync it remotely if you can get to someone in service, but there is an upcoming firmware update that should address the problem.

That's exactly the behavior associated with the time sync being off. Check the car's clock against your cell phone, and if there's a difference, then that's the issue.

They can resync it remotely if you can get to someone in service, but there is an upcoming firmware update that should address the problem.

I called my Tesla Sales Rep (guy always responds quickly) he sent me my Tesla sign-in info for my car - but that didn't work. He advised calling Customer Service to see if they could provide a fix.

I called into Tesla Customer Service (only 4 min hold - thankfully) and the rep tried having me sign in with my email/password I use for the Tesla site (to get into my account) to no avail...still was getting the "Unable to Log In. Please try again later" message. Rep stated he was going to open a ticket for service to do the remote MCU re-sync based on him hearing that solution before - this was after I brought it up from your recommendation, flyeyes. Thank you! Hoping this will resolve the issue.

On a separate note, no one has been able to tell me if the 4 year Slacker Plus is simply 4 years from vehicle build date, the in-service date or if there is an additional 4 years provided when the car is purchased Used from Tesla. (I know there are some guys with older model cars that still have the Slacker Plus free streaming still working in their vehicle. My sales person is checking into this and states he'll provide me with an answer. Once I hear back, I'll share what I was told on that front.

So as an update to my post / Slacker radio issue has been resolved...

Late last night about 11pm I had a notification on my phone from Tesla that I had an "Update waiting to be installed"...

I went down to the garage, and being that this would be my first Update (and reading all the issues owners have had with various updates) I was and still am admittedly nervous but had no choice but to do the install. Car is now updated to 2019.12.1.1, My car was running on the 2018.50.6 software since I took delivery in March & to date, had not experienced ANY issues with the cars functions at all from a driving standpoint/AP1/TACC.

I have yet to take the car out for a drive as I recently detailed the car and its been raining cats & dogs here in the Chicagoland area the past 3 days. Slacker radio though immediately booted & started playing as soon as I entered the car. Also the climate/subzero heated seats & wheel are all presented on one page which I do like better than the previous version. Most of you probably have already seen what the 12.1.1 update includes (a couple more games, dog mode, battery preheat prior to supercharge, etc)

I never heard back from Tesla Service after calling in and the rep stating he was going to push me for a MCU recal type update from his peers...whether my car was already on the list for the software update or not, I am not certain...??? Maybe the Slacker Radio was fixed/addressed in the software update as I saw other posts somewhat similar to mine in the recent past when initially searching the forum, but can't be certain.

I guess on the plus side, I do now have my Slacker sign-in info from Tesla. I still have not been able to get an answer from anyone about the 4 year free Slacker Plus and whether that extends past the build/initial in service date.