Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker Radio Premium experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to Slacker they are no longer supporting premium accounts and thus choice of songs or playlists on Tesla. In fact there are real questions as to whether or not they will still be in business by the end of the year. Perhaps we might still get Spotify? As for Tidal, it is probably also going out of business and anyway blind tests of lossless versus 320 bit rate show that virtually nobody can tell the lossless

show

• Disagree
Reactions: jlv1
According to Slacker they are no longer supporting premium accounts and thus choice of songs or playlists on Tesla. In fact there are real questions as to whether or not they will still be in business by the end of the year. Perhaps we might still get Spotify? As for Tidal, it is probably also going out of business and anyway blind tests of lossless versus 320 bit rate show that virtually nobody can tell the lossless

show

I wonder when that will happen “no longer support premium accounts”. As of last night 7:30pm EST Iadded a new album to my premium account and when we got in my S it was in my playlists instantly like always.

Reactions: drklain and KArnold

show

I wouldn't trust a single thing Slacker says. Was it Frank I'm guessing? Seems like he's their only support person. I have emails from him telling me that Slacker Premium has NEVER been supported in a Tesla vehicle, and even when showing the user manual I was told it's a mistake and a typo! I told him that the service centre told me it definitely does work and he demanded to know the name of the person telling me that so that he could escalate this to "educate" Tesla employees that are spreading misinformation.

I gave up on Slacker though as it NEVER plays songs on demand. I like being able to have my Playlists in the car but I'm never able to get it to play a song by asking for it, it always just plays something totally different by that artist just like the free version.

@tom_1983 Agree that Slacker's customer support is less than optimal. With respect to Slacker Premium on a Tesla, I find that if I put songs I care about in a playlist, I can select them and repeat them as desired. The search function (either by typing or by using a voice search) apparently does NOT search playlists, so it will only play a song you request once before it gets locked out for some period of time which is completely unknown. It's at least 24 hours and sometimes appears to last for days. When in "lock out" mode, you get a channel based on the song you searched for that supposedly plays songs like it, but I find that feature totally useless.

I generally just pull up the playlist on the MCU and select the song I care about. I have one long playlist with over 100 songs which is my "driving playlist". My teen created another one which can be selected when riding in the car with me...

As others have pointed out, I haven't seen any changes in slacker premium account behavior. If I create a new playlist or modify an existing one, the changes are reflected in the car the next time I select slacker.

@tom_1983 Agree that Slacker's customer support is less than optimal. With respect to Slacker Premium on a Tesla, I find that if I put songs I care about in a playlist, I can select them and repeat them as desired. The search function (either by typing or by using a voice search) apparently does NOT search playlists, so it will only play a song you request once before it gets locked out for some period of time which is completely unknown. It's at least 24 hours and sometimes appears to last for days. When in "lock out" mode, you get a channel based on the song you searched for that supposedly plays songs like it, but I find that feature totally useless.

I generally just pull up the playlist on the MCU and select the song I care about. I have one long playlist with over 100 songs which is my "driving playlist". My teen created another one which can be selected when riding in the car with me...

As others have pointed out, I haven't seen any changes in slacker premium account behavior. If I create a new playlist or modify an existing one, the changes are reflected in the car the next time I select slacker.

That's what I do also, just put them in a playlist and you're good to go. There's just been a few times where I've had the radio playing and hear a song and think oh I want to hear that one again! So I ask it to play it, and it never does. Not the end of the world, it would be worse if Playlists didn't work!

show
Can you link any articles... that indicate Slacker may go out of business in the near future? Or is this just your sense based on your personal experiences?

iansmccarthy | August 20, 2018
The latest development, according to Slacker support is that

"Frank S. (Slacker Radio)

Aug 20, 10:13 PDT

"Premium Radio and its upgraded features are not supported for use in Tesla. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Best regards,
Frank
Slacker Radio Support"

This was in response to my signing up for Slacker Premium, building playlists on my computer and then trying to use it in my Model 3. Result: zilch. I then contacted Slacker.com support and received the above response (which contradicts what Tesla and these forums say.

My response was:
Ian Mccarthy
4:47 PM (26 minutes ago)
to support

If that is the case then your so called Premium is worthless. Moreover, you are selling the upgrade under false pretences since you, and Tesla, claim that Premium accounts ARE supported by Tesla Model 3s (and that statement appears in the manual in the car and online). In the circumstances you now owe a refund to all of those who have signed up for Premium Slacker accounts and who have logged in via the control panel in their Tesla.

Ian S Mccarthy

Past time that Tesla switched to Spotify and ditched Slacker (which is atrocious in choice, GUI, stability, and support)

Slacker then refunded me my subscription

Sep 15, 2017 CNET said that
Slacker Radio, one of the longest-running streaming music services in the US, is being acquired by the live music network LiveXLive Media in a deal worth $50 million in cash and stock, the companies announced Friday.

Slacker Radio was founded in 2006 and offered a twist on streaming music by blending a Pandora-like service into its own iPod rival: the Slacker Portable Player.

Much like any of the streaming apps of today, including Slacker, you could download curated music stations onto the device and listen to them anywhere you went. This may be commonplace now, but it was a big deal at a time when the original iPhone barely had an App Store.

Following the release of its sequel, the G2 Personal Radio Player, Slacker eventually left the hardware business in favor of apps for the iPhone, Android phones and even the Palm Pre.

That said, it looks like Slacker Radio isn't going anywhere despite the new ownership. LiveXLive says it plans to use Slacker Radio's music service to complement its existing video programming.

017 - My Profile; Forums · Sign Out ... Slacker Radio, one of the longest-running streaming music services in the ... Radio Player, Slacker eventually left the hardware business in favor of apps for the iPhone, Android phones and even the Palm Pre. That said, it looks like Slacker Radio isn't going anywhere despite ...

Well, the reality of it is, it still works. Premium lets you play any song on demand and that works. I'm also able to create Artist stations that play only that artist. I also see any playlists I create. I have NOT tried this in my wife's model 3 though. I'm speaking of my model S.

Reactions: KArnold
Despite my 2018 Model X display the option to log in at Slacker, I wasn't able to log in. After pressing the login, it gives an error and goes back to the previous screen. I have slacker premium, but if I can't use in my car I will cancel my subscription, it's only to the car anyway.

• Disagree
Reactions: DMack
Despite my 2018 Model X display the option to log in at Slacker, I wasn't able to log in. After pressing the login, it gives an error and goes back to the previous screen. I have slacker premium, but if I can't use in my car I will cancel my subscription, it's only to the car anyway.

I had an error logging into my Slacker Premium on my 3, recently.

If you log into slacker.com you can check your subscription status, mine somehow was reset to BASIC.

I had to go into the Slacker App and refresh my iTunes subscription status, then it reset to PREMIUM and I was able to login from my car.

So odd. I have had -0- issues with my Slacker Premium Account. Once signed in, if it will ever work for you, you should see this for your login credentials:

F8BBBB5B-0CC1-4E4D-A02F-CC0EEE590925.jpeg

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: jrad6515 and Joelc
As I was annoyed by the fact that I was looking for a song and only getting the radio version of that song I wanted to try Slacker Premium. So I decided to take a subscription.

I must say the sound quality is so much better in the Model X on Slacker premium. I cannot see anything about a higher but rate or something but the sound is noticeably better, it is so so crisp, it is night and day difference. I like it very much. Also the fact that I can play entire albums and look up songs is very nice.

I also have Apple Music. I don't know if I would cancel that now.