Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker Radio Premium experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. I just wanted to post about upgrading to Slacker Premium since there is a lot of contradicting information out there.

It's easy: Just create a Premium account on the web, and then click the "log in with your own account" button at the bottom of the Streaming page in the car's center console. All customized playlists and favorites will appear immediately. At this time, Slacker Premium is $10/month, billed monthly. The car saves the login credentials, and everything works smoothly.

You can easily create playlists of (almost) any set of songs -- including a complete album. When listening to the playlist in the car, you can use the forward and backward track buttons to listen to the songs in any order and as many times as you like. A slight annoyance is that certain songs (maybe 5% of Slacker) are not able to be added to a playlist due to licensing restrictions. You cannot use the backward track button when listening to a station even with Premium. It only works for playlists.

Premium offers a larger song library and more channels (so it appears to me). When you favorite a channel from the web or mobile Slacker interface, it will be added to the car's favorite list automatically -- no need to log out and back in. Sometimes the update is not instant. It may take a few hours. I always put together my playlists at night in the house, and they are always ready in the morning in the car. Perhaps log out/in would refresh right away if you are in a hurry.

Overall, I wish Tesla allowed the use of Google Play Music in the car, since I was using it before getting a Tesla. However, Slacker Premium is nearly as good, and I will probably switch over completely. I've recently been listening to the "Classic Rock Deep Dive" channel, and really like the song selection a lot as I have with other Slacker channels.

Thanks for this- I've been debating whether I'd get a premium account, so this is helpful.

One area of debate here regarding Premium has been the audio quality. There seems to be consensus that if you have Slacker Premium (or maybe premium and the upgraded sound package), that when you sign-in, you have the ability to select a higher bitrate. Where there seems to be a lot of debate is whether the higher bitrate actually results in any changes to the sound quality. Just curious: have you tried selecting the higher bitrate? If so, any observations on what it does/doesn't do for the sound quality?

Nice write-up.

I think I'll get premium once Google Home has slacker integration [or tesla has google music integration]. I don't want to pay for multiple music streaming services...
That's my dilemma. I used to use Spotify, then a year ago switched to Apple music so i could get the family plan (before spottily offered it). No I am kinda hoping somehow one of the 2 would come to tesla.

Reactions: ABC2D
Just curious: have you tried selecting the higher bitrate? If so, any observations on what it does/doesn't do for the sound quality?

I'd also like to know if you have this option in your car?

I believe another post said it was at the bottom of the screen near the login area can you confirm or post a picture of the bitrate / sound quality selection ?

I'd also like to know if you have this option in your car?

I believe another post said it was at the bottom of the screen near the login area can you confirm or post a picture of the bitrate / sound quality selection ?

when i was logging into slacker in the car at the bottom of the screen it had the option of higher bitrate to check or uncheck.

Just signed up for the P account. You cannot create the Playlists in the car, they must be done on another device unless I'm doing something wrong. I downloaded the app and its fairly easy to create a playlist but while sitting in the car with Slacker playing and in the app the car kicked me off. Once I had a few saved songs I logged back in to my account in the car and my new play list showed up with forward, backwards shuffle and replete playing options as well as the ability to scrub the song and all at a higher bit rate which I think I could tell sounded better.
It might be a keeper for just $10 a month.

Anybody willing to offer a review of the effectiveness of selecting "higher bitrate"? I feel like my standard tesla provided Slacker often has pretty dynamically compressed audio tracks. If I'm going to shell out $10/month I'd like better quality audio.

Reactions: FabioFognini
Anybody willing to offer a review of the effectiveness of selecting "higher bitrate"? I feel like my standard tesla provided Slacker often has pretty dynamically compressed audio tracks. If I'm going to shell out $10/month I'd like better quality audio.
Sound is pretty subjective and what might sound awesome to one, could be just "meh" to you. Spend the $10 to test and listen for yourself.