Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker Radio Questions - Benefit to paid account?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a deal right now where you can get a Plus subscription for $10 for an entire year. I did it just because. If I don’t use it much then oh well, it's only $10, and if I do then it's a great deal compared to the $3-$4/mo they usually charge.

I took advantage of the $10/yr a couple months ago. I only have a basic Spotify account - now that Spotify is available, is it that much better to pay 12x as much as Slacker?

I took advantage of the $10/yr a couple months ago. I only have a basic Spotify account - now that Spotify is available, is it that much better to pay 12x as much as Slacker?

Good question. I use(d) pandora. I didnt do spotify because when it first came out and required facebook (which I dont have and have no intention of ever creating), I said to myself "well I guess no spotify".

I knew they removed the facebook requirement a while ago but I had a legacy yearly pandora subscription that was $45 or so. Well, since now spotify is available in my tesla, I signed up for a 3 month trial to give it a go 2 days ago. I have already converted my "free trial" account to a family subscription, cancelled both my wife and my own pandora subscription, and moved my pandora thumbs up songs to spotify.

It had every song we wanted, which slacker absolutely did not, and it was easy to use in the car as far as logging into it and having everything show up. So for me, it was worth it, but I was never a paying slacker account holder. The free one in the car convinced me I didnt need to pay for it. I do use the free tunein account in the car.

Reactions: Gabbleratchet7
There is a deal right now where you can get a Plus subscription for $10 for an entire year. I did it just because. If I don’t use it much then oh well, it's only $10, and if I do then it's a great deal compared to the $3-$4/mo they usually charge.

Other than being able to use it outside of your Tesla, what benefit do you think you're getting for that $10?

Because the one in your tesla is already a plus subscription.

Other than being able to use it outside of your Tesla, what benefit do you think you're getting for that $10?

People claim that with a paid subscription that Tesla bumps the bitrate from 64kbps to 128kbps resulting in slightly better audio quality. Although there is no way to actually prove that so it's based on speculation.

If it was $10/mo then I'd reconsider, but for $10/year who cares? If I'm not using it in a year then I'll cancel.

People claim that with a paid subscription that Tesla bumps the bitrate from 64kbps to 128kbps resulting in slightly better audio quality. Although there is no way to actually prove that so it's based on speculation.

Nope.

One way to prove it would be to ask Slacker.

Who explicitly states there is no option to increase bitrate of their service on a Tesla, and that changing it elsewhere (mobile, PC, etc) does not change it on your car.

If it was $10/mo then I'd reconsider, but for $10/year who cares? If I'm not using it in a year then I'll cancel.

Other than using it places other than your car you are, AFAIK, getting literally nothing for your $10, was the point.

If you do use it elsewhere, by all means, $10 seems a great deal for a year.

I also "splurged" on the $10/yr subscription. A few benefits (which might be free but haven't looked into too closely) - (1) I can customize my favorites online so they are available in the car; (2) ad free and (3) unlimited skips.

I typically listen to podcasts so don't listen much to any of the streaming services - I can deal with $10/yr; $10/mo is steep.

People claim that with a paid subscription that Tesla bumps the bitrate from 64kbps to 128kbps resulting in slightly better audio quality. Although there is no way to actually prove that so it's based on speculation.....
Client decides (and pays for) the bit rate and no way Tesla is paying for a higher data rate. Also you can bet the farm that if Tesla allowed a higher date rate with a paid subscription Slacker would have it listed in 50 point font as a selling point for a paid subscription.