Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker Radio Questions - Benefit to paid account?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the Tesla Default slacker account, the same as a paid membership to Slacker? Or put another way, is there any advantage to paying for a private account, and can it actually be accessed from the Model 3?

Custom stations?
Better audio quality?

Thanks in advance.

I pay, and I can skip an unlimited (maybe?) number of songs. I believe the stock account is limited.

The bit rate on the phone app is higher (have to activate), but the car doesn't offer the setting in M3. I use the phone app daily on my train commute. I like being able to take stations "Offline."

You can also create favorite stations/artists, and custom stations, which are then reflected in car AND on the app.

Is the Tesla Default slacker account, the same as a paid membership to Slacker? Or put another way, is there any advantage to paying for a private account, and can it actually be accessed from the Model 3?

Custom stations?
Better audio quality?

Thanks in advance.
I'm not convinced the bit rate is higher; some folks say its doesn't work but it sounds fine to me. I love the custom stations, playlists, and unlimited skips. I also use the account a lot on my boat and home, and also when travelling so I figure 'm getting my money's worth.

In addition to the audio quality, is it just me, or is the Slacker inventory that limited?- I commute 35 minutes to work, 4 days a week and I mainly listen to a 70's Decade radio station....I keep hearing Chicago's "Does Anybody Know What Time It Is" and Dan Folgelberg's "Same Old Lang Syne" once every 3 days. Don't get me wrong- I love those songs but that's way too often and it sure seems like Slacker is slacking on the number of songs in its inventory...

Reactions: preilly44
Bitrate is not higher.

It's set by the client (the tesla software) and it's fixed at 64kb/sec, no option to change it. This has been confirmed by Slacker support in several previous threads.
And we know for a certainty that support knows everything about all products, even from different companies, and never lies.

I'm not saying its not true, or wasn't true at some point, just saying that a comment from one support person does not make it a certainly for all time.

In addition to the audio quality, is it just me, or is the Slacker inventory that limited?- I commute 35 minutes to work, 4 days a week and I mainly listen to a 70's Decade radio station....I keep hearing Chicago's "Does Anybody Know What Time It Is" and Dan Folgelberg's "Same Old Lang Syne" once every 3 days. Don't get me wrong- I love those songs but that's way too often and it sure seems like Slacker is slacking on the number of songs in its inventory...
You can see the entire station playlist for the stations and add more artists and jiggle settings somewhat. The only major annoyance I've had is that many songs in an artist's "station" are blacked out when you try to add them to a playlist. It looks like some labels only allow "random" additions to a station but not direct additions to a playlist.

And we know for a certainty that support knows everything about all products, even from different companies, and never lies.

I'm not saying its not true, or wasn't true at some point, just saying that a comment from one support person does not make it a certainly for all time.

It's not one comment from one support person.

It's every single time anybody has asked them, over months and years, the answer is the same.

And the same answer is on their website in the support section.

Audio Quality

Bitrate is set by the client.

slacker.com said:
Quality setting is done on a per-client basis. If you listen to Slacker Radio on multiple clients, changing the quality setting on one client will have no effect on the quality settings of other clients.

The Tesla client does not allow changing from the default 64kb/sec bitrate on the Model 3.

(it USED TO allow it on the Model S, up to 128kb-if you had the better stereo system don't think that's there anymore though)

paid subscription does get you a few things.. like: the ability to listen to your exact playlists (that you’ve created on other platforms), and custom stations (i.e. a station based on MULTIPLE songs and/or artists). Having said that, I admit that I mostly just use bluetooth from my phone’s Slacker app for better quality, and ability to rewind my playlist.

paid subscription does get you a few things.. like: the ability to listen to your exact playlists (that you’ve created on other platforms), and custom stations (i.e. a station based on MULTIPLE songs and/or artists). Having said that, I admit that I mostly just use bluetooth from my phone’s Slacker app for better quality, and ability to rewind my playlist.

Is the subscription required to have a "My favorites" station with all the songs we've checked off as favorites in the past?

Dumb newbie question here: I just got my car yesterday and I haven't set any of the music stuff up (to the extent one even has to do so). But I've played around with it a little while driving. When I say "play Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap", it plays. My question is, where is this playing from? Slacker? And if so, why do I hear complaints about it? Every song I've asked to be played has played. What more would you want in a music streaming service?