Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker radio search doesn't work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

talkingevs

GO AVS! 2022 CHAMPS!
Jan 28, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
So when V10 came out, I signed up for a three month premium Spotify trial. That ended near Christmas and didn't really use it as much as I'd thought so I didn't continue. But now I can't search for anything to play on slacker radio. Any ideas? When I hit Spotify it shows invalid credentials and my login info. I delete it and try and still the same. I've tried soft and hard resets as well

everything was fine when we had just slacker, it was free and you could use your voice to ask for a song to be played. Once they added spotify all went to hell. No more voice activation for a song and Spotify wants to charge you.

I'm not seeing this anymore. I don't have a Spotify account and never added log-in credentials, so not the same situation as others in this thread. I also saw that after Spotify was introduced, playing songs by voice was broken. It brought up the search results box which required tapping the screen instead of playing automatically. After a few updates, it was fixed. Voice search definitely starts playing songs on Slacker automatically--I literally just did it. I'm on 2020.4.1 now, but it's been fine since at least around Christmas, maybe earlier.

That appears to be the issue. Once you put in spotify credentials and then cancel the account, there is no way to tell the car to stop using it with search. It appears to default to spotify first when searching and when it can’t use it, it just won’t search slacker. For some reason it still returns caroke results though.

Happy to report that the fix works! Someone suggested using the credentials from a spotify premium account to sign in, and then just sign out. Now when you sign out, it removes the previously used credentials like you never signed into spotify in the first place, like it should have worked when they rolled it out. It used to keep your old credentials after you cancelled premium and there was no way to remove them. So if you're having this issue, find a friend who will let you use their account for 5 seconds, or you can sign up for one month and then cancel, etc. So happy to be able to search Slacker again!

• Informative
Reactions: masam
Sort of related question, well, maybe not... is there a way to reset the slacker account?
More precisely to reset the disliked song selections.

I tried logging in the slacker account from a browser but couldn't find such a list. Also tried to ask slacker support but they just replied it cannot be done. Strange but with Tesla I've learned not to trust what support says on the first try.

So I have Spotify Premium and I'm logged in, but anytime I use voice to play or search for songs (or even type it out on the screen), I only get results for podcasts, and sometimes it will randomly show results from caraoke. This is really frustrating because I usually just end up having to play the songs through my phone.

So I have Spotify Premium and I'm logged in, but anytime I use voice to play or search for songs (or even type it out on the screen), I only get results for podcasts, and sometimes it will randomly show results from caraoke. This is really frustrating because I usually just end up having to play the songs through my phone.

when that happened to me I would change source to Spotify and then do the search. Switch from phone or streaming to Spotify then search.

After canceling my free trial to Spotify I’m having the issue of it not finding any results now.

Not sure if this will work for you but it did for me.

I was on a free Spotify 3 month premium trial. When it ended, my card was charged automatically to continue my subscription. I requested to suspend my subscription online and they did so. No more charge. This is when I noticed Slacker search no longer worked properly.
I read somewhere that there’s a conflict with Slacker and Spotify where Spotify needs to be fully logged out in order for Slacker search to work. Since I no longer had a Spotify account, and I was not logged in, how could I log out?
Here’s what I did. Kind of a pain but it worked.
Sign up for a new Spotify Premium account. Yes, you will need your credit card. Sign in using your car’s screen then sign out.
Then cancel your Spotify account. Slacker should work normally now.
My slacker has been working normally for months now.
(But man I really do miss Spotify!!)

Good luck!

Reactions: Wyman
I'm having this same problem after the trial with Spotify and now back to using Slacker. I can't search/play songs anymore. Also can't add new favorites. Still trying to figure out how to sign out of Spotify Premium in the Model 3.
Tesla could solve all this rather easily by adding a selector in settings on what music service to search, Spotify or Slacker.

I’ve noticed this too and although I have Spotify it’s nice to be able to use both. One thing Tesla finally fixed was Spotify music loading from my library section. I reported it to them via customer support and asked others to do the same. Tesla told me they would get this fixed in a future update. 2020.24.6.4 did the trick. I would recommend reporting this search issue to customer support over the bug report method off the steering wheel.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
I’ve noticed this too and although I have Spotify it’s nice to be able to use both. One thing Tesla finally fixed was Spotify music loading from my library section. I reported it to them via customer support and asked others to do the same. Tesla told me they would get this fixed in a future update. 2020.24.6.4 did the trick. I would recommend reporting this search issue to customer support over the bug report method off the steering wheel.

customer support email/Link?

Still have the same problem w/ Slacker. Spotify works Slacker signup link?

Last edited: