Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker radio stuttering?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the Slacker Premium account is it possible to have any of the songs in your playlists be stored for “offline” playback? I use this all the time in my Spotify Premium subscription so I can listen to my music while flying on a plane for example.

Given the recent streaming problems with Slacker and TuneIn, and the constant buffering issues, it would be great to play your songs offline and not have to rely on the incredibly slow AT&T LTE service in our cars!

I’m on .42 and I can’t even use Slacker or TuneIn...both buffer like mad and it’s not even worth using them.
Same here.

With the Slacker Premium account is it possible to have any of the songs in your playlists be stored for “offline” playback?
Nope. None of the Slacker Premium features are available in the car. So there's no point in purchasing unless you listen to slacker elsewhere.

I've always wondered why Tesla doesn't have frequent playlists/stations synced/cached overnight via wifi. The slacker station playlists are not that deep and the same song often appears on multiple similar stations. Does anyone even know how big the drive is in the MCU?

Anyone out there with the .46 update? Wondering if the update has fixed the Slacker issue?

I’m on .42 and I can’t even use Slacker or TuneIn...both buffer like mad and it’s not even worth using them.

Tesla, please fix this ASAP!!!!

Received 46.8 yesterday and that fixed the issue. Now back to slacker songs fully downloading in a quick second.

46.8 here... problem NOT resolved. Buffering is still very slow and still getting loading errors and stuttering. According to the mobile technician who came to service my car last week, it seems that slacker changed something on their end lately (added encryption) and Tesla is trying to catch up to it.

Attachments

• CC57F069-2C76-4E6D-9EBB-D47690B4CEEF.jpeg
    CC57F069-2C76-4E6D-9EBB-D47690B4CEEF.jpeg
    256.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
46.8 here... problem NOT resolved. Buffering is still very slow. According to the mobile technician who came to service my car last week, it seems that slacker changed something on their end lately (added encryption) and Tesla is trying to catch up to it.

Agreed. Buffering is still slower than should be. I haven’t gotten a load error yet tho. But there is a 10 sec delay between songs. I noticed when connected to WiFi it’s very quick but i agree lte still not right.

For me, the buffering seems to come and go. Some days/times are good and others are not. Seems independent of software version. Also seems independent of LTE signal strength. I think it is a traffic issue with Tesla since it has bee reported with Slacker and Tune In as well. Hopefully they will fix soon.

• Helpful
Reactions: NewTMSMan
From my Service Center:

... Please do know that it is a known issue at this time, and engineering is working on resolving this for all customers. It is taking longer than we would like due to the fact that they have to go channel by channel to rectify the issue....

It is taking longer than we would like due to the fact that they have to go channel by channel to rectify the issue....
Say what now? If by "channel" they mean "station" then that makes no sense. I get the same loading errors when I search for a song and a "custom" channel is created. Slacker basically has infinite "stations" since you can mix and match artists to make custom stations.

For me, the buffering seems to come and go. Some days/times are good and others are not. Seems independent of software version. Also seems independent of LTE signal strength. I think it is a traffic issue with Tesla since it has bee reported with Slacker and Tune In as well. Hopefully they will fix soon.

Same here - mostly unusable with periods rapid buffer filling usability from time-to-time with no easy explanation. I'm on 2017.44 now and expecting to have 2017.46.8 installed by days end at SC. Not anticipating this will fix anything from what others are sharing.

Same here - mostly unusable with periods rapid buffer filling usability from time-to-time with no easy explanation. I'm on 2017.44 now and expecting to have 2017.46.8 installed by days end at SC. Not anticipating this will fix anything from what others are sharing.

I’ve had 46.8 since last Friday. No improvement on Slacker lagging, stopping, and load errors.

So. Went to the car today. Slacker is back to being lightening fast on lte now. Perhaps it’s fixed internally without an update. Anyone else can confirm on their end?

After reading your post I tried out Slacker again on my short 20 minute drive home. No loading errors and lag time seemed improved when skipping songs or changing channels. This morning I did not get out of my garage before Slacker stalled. Typically I could cause a loading error by changing to a new channel. Did it several times on the ride home with no unusual stalling or errors. Also got to listen to 2 whole songs! 20 minutes is not much of a test, but keeping my fingers crossed.

After reading your post I tried out Slacker again on my short 20 minute drive home. No loading errors and lag time seemed improved when skipping songs or changing channels. This morning I did not get out of my garage before Slacker stalled. Typically I could cause a loading error by changing to a new channel. Did it several times on the ride home with no unusual stalling or errors. Also got to listen to 2 whole songs! 20 minutes is not much of a test, but keeping my fingers crossed.

Let’s hope it stays fixed! Used it again tonight with no issues. Fingers crossed