TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Slacker Radio Tip for New Owners!

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by theslimshadyist, Dec 4, 2016.

1. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

Hi all, I have a solid tip for all of you new or soon to be owners. I emailed [email protected] and asked them for my Slacker Radio username and password, which they quickly replied and provided back to me within a few hours. With that info, I went to the Slacker website on my Mac and logged in, went to account settings, and changed the low quality audio setting to high! Now I have the higher quality 320kbps streaming audio in my car!

Enjoy! ;)

Attached Files:

• Informative x 14
    • Helpful x 10
    • Like x 8
  2. JimmyMcNulty

JimmyMcNulty Member

Nice, thanks for the tip.

So, do we know for a fact that the changes you make on your computer affect the stream quality in the car? I'm guessing you noticed a difference?

3. theslimshadyist

Yes, it absolutely does!!!

• Like x 2
  4. GOTMEEV

GOTMEEV Member

Do you automatically get an account with Slacker as part of the purchase so you can log into that account and upgrade the streaming? Or, do you have to create an online account and pay an additional subscription fee?

5. theslimshadyist

You automatically get one with the car and you don't have to login with the credentials, it's already done when you take delivery of the vehicle.

6. theslimshadyist

What I did to ensure that the higher audio kicked in was I made the changes on the website then went to the car and logged out of Slacker, then logged back in. This step may not be needed but I went ahead and performed this sequence just to make sure.

7. Austral

Austral Member

Even moderators don’t follow forum rules....
    Nice. Was able to edit my favorite stations from my den with that factoid, Slim Shady. :) Thanks!

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  8. theslimshadyist

My pleasure!

• Like x 1
  9. Hojo

Hojo Member

Worked for me as well. Thanks:):)

• Like x 2
  10. theslimshadyist

When you go to log back into Slacker, there will be a box that you can check for "use higher bitrate". ;)

• Informative x 1
  11. sbtz

sbtz Member

Are we sure that the quality settings actually change in the car? I toggled the setting on the website, but found that it had defaulted back to normal in the iOS app (for which I used the same login).

12. theslimshadyist

Positive. When you log back into the car there is a box right under the username and password that says, "Use High Bitrate". Check that box and log back in.

13. Skipdd

Skipdd Member

Thanks for the info! Am curious about 2 things. A few months ago there were postings about one of the new releases seemingly having caused the higher fidelity option to have been toggled. Did that somehow adjust back in another update? Or was the original supposition erroneous? Second, also curious to know if the use of the earlier 3G antenna makes a difference with the higher bit rate? Thinking not based on rated 3G capacity, but wondering nonetheless. I have the 3G antenna, haven't really seen a reason to upgrade, yet.

14. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

15. BEEZR

BEEZR Member

Thanks! With the upgrade to 8.0 (IIRC) the login details mysteriously disappeared. I would have expected Tesla service to be more proactive about sending this information to owners.

16. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

I went to Slacker.com to reset my account settings after the Tesla 8.0 upgrade ... :cool:

upload_2016-12-4_22-48-42.png

• Helpful x 1
  17. Footer

Footer Member

I always wondered why Slacker didn't sound so good:oops:. Hopefully it will bring out the best in the UHF option. I just logged in to the website and changed the bitrate. Now I have to wait till I get home from China to try it out. :(

Thanks Scott. Great tip. Why didn't you buy a Tesla sooner? Then I wouldn't have had to listen to substandard radio the last 2 years.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  18. BEEZR

BEEZR Member

Mods: This should be a pinned post! Or at least an entry into an owner FAQ...

19. Ormond

Ormond Member

I sent off for mine just now. I have been meaning to do this. Thanks for jogging my memory!

20. Pantoot

Pantoot Member

#20 Pantoot, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    Thanks for the reminder, just sent off my request.

edit: already got the response. very odd, my wife already had higher bitrate set, but mine didn't. Looking forward to seeing if I notice an improvement.

• Like x 1