Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker radio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the consensus on Slacker radio?

Im used to listening to FM and XM/Sirius

I like the sports channels on XM and Howard Stern. (Especially on 2-4 hour car rides)

I also like how the channels are set up IE:70's 80's 90's ETC

I also at times use Apple Music.

Does anyone miss XM/Sirius? or you stream from your iphone/android device?

Thanks

Reactions: Ormond
I find Slacker incredibly underwhelming. On the other hand it is "free".

It is very repetitive, the music choice is pretty limited, it trends towards "soft" music even if you choose a station like "hard rock", you can't set up your own playlists or sync your own music, etc.

More often than not I just stream from the sizable music collection on my iPhone.

I find Slacker incredibly underwhelming. On the other hand it is "free".

It is very repetitive, the music choice is pretty limited, it trends towards "soft" music even if you choose a station like "hard rock", you can't set up your own playlists or sync your own music, etc.

More often than not I just stream from the sizable music collection on my iPhone.

I heard slacker is free for a year then you have to pay for it along with the LTE service $100 per year...

This was a real issue for me actually, I never thought I'd care about this when I bought my M3 or really I think I assumed it was up to par with other high end cars but it's a really a drag that for such an expensive vehicle the radio or lack there of is an issue. First off the intermittent reception is crazy! I live in LA and the radio cuts in and out more than an old time AM radio while driving under a bridge. It's almost like we've gone back 60+ years trying to tune in a station via TuneIn or Slacker. And even the regular FM is sketchy at times when trying to grab the HD sig. Secondly, I do find it odd that almost all higher end vehicles have SiriusXM built in for use, but not having that option, knowing that cellular reception is so bad, is confusing. Thirdly, Slacker. Slacker is just below "meh." Spotify is immensely better for this kind of service. And I just decided to pay the 9.99 a month for slacker just to see if I can make playlists and control my selections more like I can on Spotify or Amazon or Apple and the online-only interface for slacker is a joke. It's seriously due a major overhaul and a stand alone interface is a must. Again, Apple Music is even better and that's saying a lot. I know version 9 is out and I am guessing this is not going to be addressed but it should be. Finally, why in the world can't we get an aftermarket SiriusXM install or at least the option from Tesla? I see lot's of folks are adding external units and that's crazy. Yes! the M3 is super and amazing and expensive yet cars for 1/3 the cost have more audio capabilities....I know I am nitpicking bc I seriously do dig our M3 a ton! :)

I actually think that slacker does a good job in curating stations based on songs that are liked/disliked, and constantly throws new songs in with all of the songs that I've already tagged. I've found much more variety with slacker in that regard compared to Apple Music and Spotify.

That said, it does lack features for those that want to listen to specific songs or playlists on demand.

I actually think that slacker does a good job in curating stations based on songs that are liked/disliked, and constantly throws new songs in with all of the songs that I've already tagged. I've found much more variety with slacker in that regard compared to Apple Music and Spotify.

That said, it does lack features for those that want to listen to specific songs or playlists on demand.
You can use voice command and have slacker play a specific song. For example click on the right scroll wheel and say play despacito and it'll play despacito.

The lack of playlists capability is annoying.

I don’t know if it’s just my mind playing tricks on me but I’ve found that a song played through Slacker sounds more crisp/more 3D than the same song I stream via Bluetooth from my iPhone. The audio settings for both are the same including the “high” spatial audio effect yet the Slacker version just sounds better.

Is the Bluetooth stream being compressed? Or is the Slacker audio just encoded/optimized for this spatial audio/car setting?

Anyone else have a similar experience?

I don’t know if it’s just my mind playing tricks on me but I’ve found that a song played through Slacker sounds more crisp/more 3D than the same song I stream via Bluetooth from my iPhone. The audio settings for both are the same including the “high” spatial audio effect yet the Slacker version just sounds better.

Is the Bluetooth stream being compressed? Or is the Slacker audio just encoded/optimized for this spatial audio/car setting?

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Bluetooth is compressed, but probably so is Slacker; question is which is *more* compressed.

Slacker does sound very crisp to me. It wouldn't surprise me if Slacker employs some kind DSP for a subjectively "better" sound quality.

Reactions: SoCalGuy
Slacker should actually sound worse assuming a quality song coming over BT.

Slacker is streaming at 64kb in the model 3...

BT A2DP in the Tesla theoretically supports up to 512kb (again depending on phone and quality of the source file)

Quality-sourced FLAC files from a USB stick should sound noticeably better than either

This was a real issue for me actually, I never thought I'd care about this when I bought my M3 or really I think I assumed it was up to par with other high end cars but it's a really a drag that for such an expensive vehicle the radio or lack there of is an issue. First off the intermittent reception is crazy! I live in LA and the radio cuts in and out more than an old time AM radio while driving under a bridge. It's almost like we've gone back 60+ years trying to tune in a station via TuneIn or Slacker. And even the regular FM is sketchy at times when trying to grab the HD sig. Secondly, I do find it odd that almost all higher end vehicles have SiriusXM built in for use, but not having that option, knowing that cellular reception is so bad, is confusing. Thirdly, Slacker. Slacker is just below "meh." Spotify is immensely better for this kind of service. And I just decided to pay the 9.99 a month for slacker just to see if I can make playlists and control my selections more like I can on Spotify or Amazon or Apple and the online-only interface for slacker is a joke. It's seriously due a major overhaul and a stand alone interface is a must. Again, Apple Music is even better and that's saying a lot. I know version 9 is out and I am guessing this is not going to be addressed but it should be. Finally, why in the world can't we get an aftermarket SiriusXM install or at least the option from Tesla? I see lot's of folks are adding external units and that's crazy. Yes! the M3 is super and amazing and expensive yet cars for 1/3 the cost have more audio capabilities....I know I am nitpicking bc I seriously do dig our M3 a ton! :)

You're not nitpicking. The infotainment system in the Model 3 is a major fail. It's the worst of all worlds. If they aren't going to do something as seamless and simple as offering CarPlay and Android Auto they should at least design their own system to be about 30 times better than it is.

And you're way off on "that's saying a lot" regarding Apple Music. It's the absolute best streaming service for anyone using the Apple ecosystem. For $15 a month we get family access for three that includes the largest library of streaming music in the world, and it seamlessly integrates with my already substantial (>3000 songs) music collection.